Border Crossings

Maggie/915

Today on Radio 4 at 3:45 there was a new series of essays on the topic of the Anglo /Scottish Border Crossings.

Katrina Porteous was first exploring the history of the Northumbrian Hills.

Worth a listen and worth recording our own thoughts.

My early thoughts are linked up to the poem Lochinvar.

Chivalry , bravery and a touch of history.

I think the scene might have been in the film 28 Days Later (about Blighty after a zombie plague) where there was a huge barbed-wire topped barracade across a motorway - one side zombies, the other side plague free.  Anyway, I reckon if the Jockos follow 'Tubs' Salmon and declare UDI then we should erect something similar on the A1 at Berwick.  Just another thought ... who thinks everybody in Blighty should have a vote on the 'Jocko question',  and maybe the wording of the proposal should be:  'Should the Scots be allowed to stay in the Union?'  I reckon there'd be a majority to chuck 'em out.

I think people on both sides of the Border have a shared history and outlook on life.

I feel,often, I have more in common with attitudes and ideas of people in Scotland than in other parts of England.

However we all move around so much these days, no one can make rash generalisations.

I have to declare an interest as four grandchildren were born North of the Border.

I do not like the prejudiced thoughts of either side.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now