You Can't Even Give It Away...

Guest xyz

Guest missvic

Oh, the wind is a bit much at the minute isn't it? Enough to take off part of me garage roof, which isn't too grand. And we've got a cooker in there (a long story). Anyway... it seemed a waste to let a nearly-new appliance go to waste, and no-one we know wants it, so I tried the old cooncil for help. Do they know of a place that accept good quality furnture-type donations? Items that some folk can't afford to shell out for, and ask the council for help. No. I could sell it to a second hand dealer, the infopoint suggested. I just want to give it away I replied. I ended the conversation as I suspected that the next suggestion would be to pay to get halogen hob double oven taken to the tip.

Over the years I have met dozens of people a bit strapped for cash and desperate to furnish a house, generally sent towards the direction of second-hand merchants or the wonderful Argos, for stuff that they can't afford nor will last them more than a year or so. Again I feel that we've been let down by WDC and their apathy towards the residents as I'm sure schemes like this are run through other councils... or at least they know of places that they support in doing it. We can't be the only people who have stuff they don't want while other people are crying out for them... I thought at least the council could help put me in touch.

Perhaps I'm just assuming that other people share my views on waste and recycling, and that I'm in the minority? But, hey, wouldn't it be nice?!

Oh, and if anyone knows of anyone in need of a bit cooker, let me know, as I fear after next week's predicted storms we may not have a garage to keep it in :o

Guest missvic
i can let you have some string to tie your garage down with.if you have a problem getting it to the tip i may be able to help with transport, i mean your cooker. lol :

Thanks for both offers, but I'm hoping my duttape will do me proud! And as for taking it to the tip, I just don't want to take it, it just seems a waste to chuck out nearly-new stuff when there's young folk (and old folk) out there without them. Looking on the net, it seems like lots of other councils have similar schemes. And seeing as Wansbeck is always down as deprived area, isn't this one of the places that need schemes like this the most?

Any ideas for keeping a greenhouse in one piece though?!

move your greenhouse into your garage. cant you advertise your cooker on the notice board in tesco's. it should go to a good home free of charge ------- i hope. best of luck.

Thanks for both offers, but I'm hoping my duttape will do me proud! And as for taking it to the tip, I just don't want to take it, it just seems a waste to chuck out nearly-new stuff when there's young folk (and old folk) out there without them. Looking on the net, it seems like lots of other councils have similar schemes. And seeing as Wansbeck is always down as deprived area, isn't this one of the places that need schemes like this the most?

Any ideas for keeping a greenhouse in one piece though?!

What`s wrong with CK`s suggestion? There`s always someone after a cooker on Freecycle.

What`s wrong with CK`s suggestion? There`s always someone after a cooker on Freecycle.

So.. you want to support a website that doesn't even acknowledge the existence of your own Town?!! :P

So.. you want to support a website that doesn't even acknowledge the existence of your own Town?!! :P

Well Missvic will get rid of her cooker in no time if she puts it on Freecycle. There`s a lot of people use that site and a good few of them come from Bedlington :D

Guest missvic
Have you tried Freecycle?

This is the 3rd time I've tried to register, but I had to join the yahoo thing first (is that correct?), but every time I try to log in I'm told that I haven't registered.

Oh, my, what a palarver. I shall endeavour to try again with mr vic's technical help later on.

If Wansbeck had some kind of recycling scheme this would not be an issue! Grrrr.