Wdc £500,000 Richer!

Cympil

As reported in The Journal, Wansbeck Council have sold the Golf Club for £500,000

As quoted by Bedlington councillor Brian Richmond, "We will now be pressing the Northumberland unitary authority to reinvest the sale proceeds in this area."

By `area`, does councillor Richmond mean Bedlington? or Newbiggin/Ashington?

So...does this mean that Bedlington is finally going to get some much needed facilities? or is it just wishfull thinking on my part? :mellow:

As reported in The Journal, Wansbeck Council have sold the Golf Club for £500,000

As quoted by Bedlington councillor Brian Richmond, "We will now be pressing the Northumberland unitary authority to reinvest the sale proceeds in this area."

So...does this mean that Bedlington is finally going to get some much needed facilities? or is it just wishfull thinking on my part? :mellow:

I personally think as usual Bedlington will get nothing at all

Has the golf club been sold into private hands as a going concern or is it going to be redeveloped?

Agree, its a bargin price for a piece of land that big

How many acres (hectares!??) of land is involved, this was the old opencast site once right?? 500,000.00 sounds dirt cheap, someones getting some backhand cash I think...........

How many acres (hectares!??) of land is involved, this was the old opencast site once right?? 500,000.00 sounds dirt cheap, someones getting some backhand cash I think...........

from what i hear, they aint buying the land, they are buying the course.

there wont be an option to re-sell the land for housing, it has to stay a golf course.

History

The course has been laid out on 127 acres of land of which 100 acres had previously been open cast mined.

The land was purchased by the local Council from the National Coal Board who restored, landscaped and fenced the site.

The course was designed by Frank Penninck and opened in 1972.

According to the link below it sems to be Bedlington

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-170378574.html

Another Bedlington asset flogged off and the money swallowed up by the new unitary authority I bet! This should have been deferred until way after next March for Bedlington to have even the slightest chance of seeing any of this money, but then what would a parish council do with it? As Councillor Richmond said they will be ‘pressing’ to get some of it spent in the area whereas it should be Bedlington’s by right. I am wondering why WDC seem to have pushed these sales through recently? A million off Prestos car park, half a million here and it already has won a million quid’s worth of upgrades. 2.5 million, not a bad start for what should have been the new Bedlington District Council!

I think the town is sleepwalking into oblivion!

Pssst......anyone want to buy a community centre cheap......

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now