Freedom Day, October 27?

threegee

Backbench MPs have agreed to hold a debate on a referendum on our membership of the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15354203

Let's hope this starts the ball rolling on some genuine democratic process. With the Euro teetering and the politicos myths about it now thoroughly discredited this could be exactly the right time to re-examine the mess the political classes have got us into.

Great that three options are proposed. Left to their own devices the politicos would rather a stark in or out - with all the scaremongering warnings about the latter - were the only possibilities. Even UKIP doesn't want the latter. We need to get back to what we actually agreed to thirty odd years ago: a commercial free-trade union, not a federal Europe!

Yup, that too! Do you believe Dave's current promise on this? He's the sole arbiter what a "transfer of powers" means, so yet more politician's weasel words! "When the time is right"; those five woolly tests for joining the Euro; ho hum!

I feel that whatever stirrings of true democracy we are about to witness are likely to be knocked on the head by Mili's-band of upwardly-mobile morons - steered by the appalling Ed Balls, and cheered on by Mrs mouth-disconnected-from-brain Balls! And no prizes for guessing how the Lemming Democrats will vote. Remember your election claims to "fairness" and "democracy" Mr Clegg? No? Oh well, no one above the age of political maturity ever expected you would!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11401594

Still, one can always hope! :)

Adam Holloway for PM! :D

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/october/25/mp_adam_holloway_quits_ministe.aspx

One of the dumbest things Dave has done! He could easily have sidestepped this one.

Also putting his constituents before his own career: http://www.stewartjackson.org.uk/ Maybe he learned something about popular democracy from his close brush in the expenses scandal! :)

Anyway, this one is going to come back to haunt the Tories time and again. Shame on Miliband too; the fifteen or so Labour MPs who did the right thing by their constituents deserve a mention.

Malcolm will you now be wearing the badge

Pete,

The problem I have is that I did and probably still do support an EU! That is to say I support the idea just not the way it has been rolled out and certainly not the people in charge, elected or otherwise!

If we now have a global economy which we want to be part of I think the UK needs to be an integral part of a larger trading body, either that or we go our own way but that necessitates imaginative and innovative policies which are abjectly missing in UK political leadership these days.

However I don't think what we have ended up with as an EU that can be changed into something which would have the mass appeal needed, so for that reason I will wear your badge!

Interesting to see our local MPs fighting for publicity in the local press every week now. I wonder if that has anything to do with the proposed boundary changes and the fact that one will have to lose his seat!

Cynical, moi, jamais!

I think GGG's post typifies why we have been held back as a region for so long. Even returning MPs with solid majorities we never see any in ministerial positions or in fact in positions of real power. Our current MP has scaled dizzy heights and is a secretary to Harriet, a woman who I believe is a Machiavellian influence on the Labour Party. Nobody is going to give Ronnie a real job, he might be a good constituency MP but his outbursts in the Commons are embarrassing and he is likely to say the wrong thing to the wrong people at the wrong time.

• 1 month later...

... Do you believe Dave's current promise on this? He's the sole arbiter what a "transfer of powers" means, so yet more politician's weasel words! "When the time is right"; those five woolly tests for joining the Euro; ho hum!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-16029474

"Many MPs say this would alter relations with the EU and a referendum is needed. But Downing Street said it did not meet the test for a vote"

QED!

These people can lie looking directly into your eyes!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8697360.stm

A gem! :D

...Mr Cameron said the UK would not agree to the transfer of any sovereignty from Westminster to Brussels as part of any future reforms to EU institutions aimed at protecting the single currency area from economic instability.

Such a treaty was "not likely to happen" in the foreseeable future, Mr Cameron acknowledged.

But... if it were to... (must be by March says Sarky, facing HIS voters), he will move the goalposts yet again to ensure that the British public doesn't get any say!

What ever happened to the commitment that a treaty change would need a referendum, and - by all three leaders - that we'd have one "in the next parliament"?

"The prime minister says he will seek to return powers to the UK at the right time..."

We all know when the right time means in politico-speak - it means: sometime never, not on my watch, and isn't it great that the electorate has a short memory!

So, Dave does the right thing at the EU summit and refuses to sign the Let's all be German treaty. The other quisling "leaders" meekly go along with it and have the audacity to call us wreckers! The wrecking was done by politicos over a decade ago in adopting an unworkable and solely politically motivated arrangement.

But should he get any credit for the stance? Well, no. That's because he is still ducking the referendum issue. Just because the slimy politicos are calling it an accord and not a treaty doesn't mean there hasn't been another fundamental change sneaked through. The Europe we are still part of is going the federal route at a rate of knots, and all the worst warnings of the skeptics are coming to pass.

It's time to put the question to the British people. That question can only be do we want the EU to remain the free trade area we agreed to join (despite the hidden agenda of the Ted Heaths of this world), OR are we to become an outpost of the Fourth Reich? Our parents and their parents had a firm answer to this, and we'd do well to listen.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now