Police Commisioner Votes

a 15% average turn out should make the results null and void!

Nonsense! Those that got off their backsides and voted got their choice - it's called democracy!

As I predicted Prezza got another bloody nose, and the media is surprised?! Same answer the North East gave him in his referendum: on y'er bike Mr deputy PM. :D He'd be out of the HoL too if that was even remotely democratic.

Nice to see lots of independents got elected though - those that had the sense to stand. Sensible people don't want party hacks overseeing the police. They want someone who is accountable to them, and they can re-hire or fire without considering political allegiances. A slow but satisfactory start to proper local democracy.

Nice showing by UKIP. They could very easily decide the next general election.

a 15% average turn out should make the results null and void!

If your talking about Bedlington Malcolm it would be 1% turn out, i went to vote (so i have the right to complain about it) and there was only four people there, me and then three of the ones that were there to help.

But Adam, is it any surprise? Why do we need an elected police commissioner, and were we asked if we wanted one? It's just another highly paid paper pushing job that is completely unnecessary.

But Adam, is it any surprise? Why do we need an elected police commissioner, and were we asked if we wanted one? It's just another highly paid paper pushing job that is completely unnecessary.

It's actually an elimination of jobs for the boys. It replaces undemocratic police committees that really had no authority anyway. Do you know how those were chosen, and who chose them, or what they were paid? Plenty of paper involved there for sure!

I think it's the chief constable that's probably unnecessary. Surely the present senior officers know enough about policing to just get on with the job, and not be told what to do other than matters of general local policy? They'd be a lot easier for a commissioner to demote/sack than the friction that would/will be associated with removing a chief constable.

Ah yes but who gave us the choice between..............

Selective amnesia is all part an parcel of the political process. Perfectly illustrated by the pictures of Miliband surrounded by (largely young) supporters claiming to have the solution our economic problems. Balls wasn't there, but Mrs Balls was acting as his mouthpiece on TV last night - and what a mouth! :)

I argee. It is a waste of money, i watched to news and they said the election cost £1.1 million and the max pay for a police and crime commissioner is £100,000 and there are 41 of them adds on another £4.1 million so £5.2 million has/will be spent, at a time of cuts is it not a waste of money that should be used on something like taking a bit off the national debt or paying for more police officer's?

I argee. It is a waste of money, i watched to news and they said the election cost £1.1 million and the max pay for a police and crime commissioner is £100,000 and there are 41 of them adds on another £4.1 million so £5.2 million has/will be spent, at a time of cuts is it not a waste of money that should be used on something like taking a bit off the national debt or paying for more police officer's?

Do you know how much police committees and thier secretariats were paid? Plus, of course, all their expenses and jaunts? I suspect a lot more than that. Notice that big-mouthed Yvette never actually mentioned whether she supports the substance of what the government is doing, only attacked the cost of ONE election. The Tories wanted to do the deed at general election time to save money, but the LD's insisted it be done now.

Well, when you find out how much they did cost then be sure to tell us! It doesn't appear to be in anyone's interests to give us such basic digested information, and it no longer matters anyway.

The first police authority I looked at had seventeen members not counting the hangers on. So multiplied by the 41 police forces that would be 697 country wide. Replace those by the 41 elected commissioners and you'd have eliminated 656 unelected political appointees overseeing the police. If only we could do the same for the 800 plus unelected paid political appointees in the House of Lords - most of whom contribute nothing at all to national life!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now