Speakers Corner At The Market Cross?

Haven't we already got one - right here by the looks of it! :D

Either way the local politicos will still ignore it - until election time, of course!

Try gathering a crowd at the Market Cross and you'd probably get arrested for disturbing the peace. A quaint term which often meant simply upsetting the local squire.

Anyway the only ones that would gave the guts to use it would be the BNP (complete with minders). So in current thinking that sort of rules it out completely.

• Like 1

Anybody want to take up the challenge of initiating the Market Cross as Bedlington's new speaker's corner? I'll provide the megaphone. :lol:

Is there really to ba 'speakers corner' or are you inciting rebellion?

• Like 1

Is there really to ba 'speakers corner' or are you inciting rebellion?

No to both questions. I recently watched a program "The Speaker" I think it was called which was looking for Britain's best young speaker. As part of their "training" they spoke at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park and far from rebellion it appeared to be quite constructive.

When somebody mentioned to me the other day that nobody knew when or for what purpose the Market Cross was built, I thought it may have been some sort of public speaking pedestal.

When somebody mentioned to me the other day that nobody knew when or for what purpose the Market Cross was built, I thought it may have been some sort of public speaking pedestal.

I find this quite intriguing; it's well known that market crosses - popular constructions - were placed so that those who came to barter had a point of focus. Indeed, the type of cross we have at bedlington - quite rare now, as it happens - is known as a 'nail'. One explanation for the expression 'to pay on the nail' is the association with bartering and dealing at them in markets. This information was told to me by my grandfather when I was about eight, when visiting bedlington to see relatives. When it was built may be something of a mystery, but I don't believe why should be.

• Like 1

I find this quite intriguing; it's well known that market crosses - popular constructions - were placed so that those who came to barter had a point of focus.

That does indeed make sense. A quick google reveals this explanation

http://everything2.com/title/Pay+on+the+Nail

I wonder what would be the best way to date it.

I wonder what would be the best way to date it.

A brief google brings up the website http://northumberland-cam.com/bedlington/index.htm

Included is a picture of said cross, with the caption:

"The old Market Cross - erected in 1782"

I can find no reference to a source for this, and would actually reckon it be older.

• Like 1

Further, at the website of the 'Public Monument and Sculpture Association' includes the following:

Builder - Not known

Year of unveiling - c.1700s

Unveiling details - Erected c.1700s

Plus the unconvincing:

Road - A189

Some info, then.....

Good find. Bedlington History expert Evan Martin may be able to give us a bit more information. There's a Bedlington Heritage Open Day on September 10 at the community centre (more information on the calendar). I shall make it a point to bring up.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now