Bedlington Front Street

Hillbilly

OK... I am a pretty patient person but what on earth is taking so long!? Its not like they are building a new shopping centre... In fact I think the improvements to Morpeth have happened in less time than its taken to lay some new pavements

I hate to sound like a whinger... but if Elliots garage, the old school, the red lion, dun cow, Johnsons shoe shop, booze busters (and now I hear the blue bell is closing) again aren't sorted out, I fear that all the work will be in vein.

The worst of the lot is Elliots... I know planning permission has been knocked back before, but something has got to be done before this down ends up looking like Wallsend in the 1980's!

So... any ideas or views?

• Like 2

I think the old infants school has a willing and able developer. It's just all the official BS (and jobs-worths) around these days. One layer of regulation after another! The news pages here tell us there is a public enquiry on the infants school rescheduled for 15th December, but the public won't be able to speak. What kind of nonsense is that?

It's quite ridiculous to apply the same planning standards to our town that are applied to highly prosperous leafy suburbs in the South East. That's enshrining the very inequality that has plagued us for decades.

The kids think they live in a dump - see recent post elsewhere here - but they can't see things from the perspective of history. Our town is a victim of both the major parties. Ignored by Labour because it's an easy prey to their politics of envy and state-dependence economy, and ignored by the Tories because it's a no-hoper as far as votes go. Other places play smart in the political game, we have played the dumbest game of all time!

There is a glimmer of hope, but it's from the youngsters and sadly not from my own generation. They have to stop listening to their parents distorted view of the world and start using their own heads. A hard call when the education system promotes mediocrity, and rewards conformity of thought.

• Like 2

I think the old infants school has a willing and able developer. It's just all the official BS (and jobs-worths) around these days. One layer of regulation after another! The news pages here tell us there is a public enquiry on the infants school rescheduled for 15th December, but the public won't be able to speak. What kind of nonsense is that?

It's quite ridiculous to apply the same planning standards to our town that are applied to highly prosperous leafy suburbs in the South East. That's enshrining the very inequality that has plagued us for decades.

The kids think they live in a dump - see recent post elsewhere here - but they can't see things from the perspective of history. Our town is a victim of both the major parties. Ignored by Labour because it's an easy prey to their politics of envy and state-dependence economy, and ignored by the Tories because it's a no-hoper as far as votes go. Other places play smart in the political game, we have played the dumbest game of all time!

There is a glimmer of hope, but it's from the youngsters and sadly not from my own generation. They have to stop listening to their parents distorted view of the world and start using their own heads. A hard call when the education system promotes mediocrity, and rewards conformity of thought.

If I correctly understand what you are saying there then I could not agree more. Whilst I appreciate that you are referring to Bedders there is a wider issue here, the power barons (big brother Gordon and predecessors) would like to plant thoughts so that we become dependant on them, ask Joe public a question in the street and possible answer is what the MAN say's. Sorry if this does read right or make sense but I know what I mean.

Okay enoughs enough, just been down the street and I noticed we have another shop opening soon,next to Don Lynne's! Low and behold it's another flaming HAIRDRESSERS.

What are we the hairdressing capital of the flaming Northeast? 'A' listers flocking to

Bedlington? I think not! Alright someone has set up a business and I wish them good luck, but come on, do we really need another one in Bedlington. Unusually for me I am at a loss for words(Well I got plenty but I'm trying to be good :D )

I really am struggling here to get my head round this Eh! What! This really baffles me, what's happening? Aaaaarrgh!

• Like 3

Is the extension to Tesco's still happening?

NCC and the County Council have exchanged contracts I'm told on the "gap site" so I would presume that is still the case. Interestingly though, I'm also told they have refused a donation request of £1,000 to help towards the cost of the Christmas events occuring right outside their store. They are however quite happy to piggy back the media attention surrounding them.

See this recent NCC press release.

what exactly is getting built in the gap site?according to the ncc "creating a highly attractive public space."

does that mean there going to turf over the rubble!

Edited by Monsta®

what exactly is getting built in the gap site?according to the ncc "creating a highly attractive public space."

does that mean there going to turf over the rubble!

I don't know any more about it than what's in that press release, but it seems to be saying that the whole marketplace will be the highly attractive public space, and that Tesco will be putting a new facade on their store and extension to fit in with that.

The new market place does look very nice, but I think the important thing is having plenty of events taking place in it.

Sounds like I am not the only one getting sick of things!!

I saw on another post that Barclays and the Leeds Building Society are closing too... I wonder what will be left except the hair dressers!?

Is the extension to Tesco's still happening?

yes still happening probably haidressers :lol: :lol:

I don't mind lots of them if they competed in the market place but as they all seem to be £8 a head for a cut they are obviously price fixing! I will just have to speak to the monopoly commission about the Shire's CARTEL! :ph34r:

Definition: Price fixing may have the intent of ultimately pushing the price of a product as high as possible, leading to profits for all sellers

I have my own shears but they do nip a bit :wacko: , so £4.50 would be my going rate cash in hand obviously! ;)

I don't mind lots of them if they competed in the market place but as they all seem to be £8 a head for a cut they are obviously price fixing! I will just have to speak to the monopoly commission about the Shire's CARTEL! ph34r.gif

Definition: Price fixing may have the intent of ultimately pushing the price of a product as high as possible, leading to profits for all sellers

I have my own shears but they do nip a bit wacko.gif , so £4.50 would be my going rate cash in hand obviously! wink.gif

You can compete on other things than price. Who wants their hair butchered by the person/outfit who is prepared to do it the cheapest? Informed choice is what matters; so I guess we need a few consumer reports on our hairdressers here.

Hairdressers are better than empty shops. At least it will provide a reason for some of our considerable through-traffic to stop in the town. It's that it illustrates the lack imagination, and lack of diversity in our service industries that's the real bummer.

Perhaps we need to ask local people what is missing in the town, and what sort of businesses they would genuinely patronise? Not just compile a list of aspirations, but a list of genuine service and supplier need. Then we could do a sort of situations vacant in an attempt to encourage those business types to set-up here.

Hazelmere,

Do I need to book an appointment?

Just read a small snippet in Saturday's Journal, some NE councils have won funding to fill vacant shop premises in an effort to make their streets look better. If I remember right, and how way it is 2 days ago, the community decides what is needed and the funds are there to make it happen. Course this is not sustainable in the purely economic sense but it does recognise the problem which has been created by out of town shopping and punitive parking charges, to mention only a couple of obstacles to business development on old high streets.

I think we are going to see a definitive change in the types of businesses on high streets like ours soon, with passing trade retail only playing a small part. BTW this is supposed to be one of the main items on the next Community Forum Partnership early next year.

As for businesses which would be wanted by the community, how come every time this is asked someone pipes up with,' you can't buy a pair of men's briefs in Bedlington!' I heard the same quote only last week. Do Bedlington males go through an abnormally high amount of underpants?

As for what is going in and what sort of businesses are coming out of the Town that is really down to economic forces. I remember about 12 years ago it was all pubs, estate agents and banks. We now see banks pulling out of marginal sites, pubs closing down and probably only independent estate agents left.

The main problem we have, in my opinion, is that Bedlington has never been able to exploit its potential, for a variety of reasons, and that leaves us putting sticking plasters over the problem instead of addressing them head on.

It's that it illustrates the lack imagination, and lack of diversity in our service industries that's the real bummer.

I'm not sure that's the problem: how many types of viable businesses can someone who wants to be self employed conceivably set up these days?

I'm not sure that's the problem: how many types of viable businesses can someone who wants to be self employed conceivably set up these days?

There's always opportunity to start something new. The world doesn't stand still and opportunities always present themselves it just needs imagination. Malcolm is more than likely right in his assumption that traditional passing trade retail is all but gone, that doesn't mean there isn't still a place for high street businesses.

We're back to the conformity of thought argument again though. If you go into any of these business advisory services like Business Link help is usual only available if you can provide business plans, five year forecasts and case studies. Yes they have their place but this is exactly the kind of thing that discourages innovation. To get backing for an idea that strays away from the traditional hairdressers, beauty salons, wedding dress shops etc is extremely difficult especially for somebody with no previous business experience.

How many great ideas are being dismissed by these groups I wonder.

There's always opportunity to start something new.

With respect, I think that a misguided response. Ideas do not simply become workable businesses without means, and many people do not have the means. Granted, this doesn't explain why we have a glut of hairdressers (although the lack of smaller retail units is easily explained by the ugly behemoth on the market place).

"If you go into any of these business advisory services like Business Link help is usual only available if you can provide business plans, five year forecasts and case studies."

Of course it is; someone comes to you and says 'i've got this great idea, it's going to make loads of money' and you give them it, do you? Come on, be real.

I began my own business this year, in March. It's something completely at odds with the usual local start ups, and to be absolutely honest the advisors at Go Wansbeck and Wansbeck Works didn't quite understand what I was intending. They helped me - for nothing - to draft a businss plan (simple, really, it's just what you are going to do, who is going to buy it, and how much it will cost and sell for, and when) and put my project to their relevant boards. I needed £1500 - I got it. I didn't need a five year plan, and I didn't need case studies. Help is there if you want it, but it follows that the likes of Go Wansbeck (WW no longer exists) will be more willing to finance straightforward ideas - such as hairdressers - rather than off the wall ones.

This has turned into a really interesting thread, so thanks to everyone participating!

I think the reality is that traditional retail is dead... baring of course services, such as; hairdressers. You only need to take a walk through the Metro Centre! While the closure rate of businesses in there isnt quite as bad as our fair old town, I have NEVER seen as many vacant units in there as I did on Saturday and I got parked straight away... At lunch time on the 3rd Saturday before Christmas!!

So, the conclusion for me is that if the Metro Centre, which has been the shopping mecca of Europe for 20 years is struggling... what hope is there for a high street that never could attract businesses to begin with!?

My view (For what it's worth) is that we should aim to attract service based businesses. As someone said earlier in this thread, I'd rather have a street of hairdressers than empty shops. Traditional retail purchases are increasingly done online and that trend will only accelerate - besides even if other retailers did move in, I am not sure that they would do so in enough volume to encourage people from outside of Bedlington to use them and therefore would probably pull out through lack of custom.

I think the only hope for our street is 'service businesses' or things that cannot be easily or conveniently purchsed online; hairdressing, drycleaning, dog grooming, local delivery items such as flowers and fresh food, taxi companies, estate agents... and to a lesser extend restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Views?

Of course it is; someone comes to you and says 'i've got this great idea, it's going to make loads of money' and you give them it, do you? Come on, be real.

Of course not but I wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand and give the person the brush off with a load of generic leaflets that do nothing to guide them, that has been my experience but perhaps this depends on the person giving the advice and others may have been more fortunate.

but it follows that the likes of Go Wansbeck (WW no longer exists) will be more willing to finance straightforward ideas - such as hairdressers - rather than off the wall ones.

That's the main point I was trying to make, it seems a lot of the advisors seem to be working from a pre-defined plan and it doesn't leave much room for more innovative business ideas.

Traditional retail purchases are increasingly done online and that trend will only accelerate

I agree but there may be room for complimentary service industries surrounding these ideas. Take for example the "Sell it on That online auction site that is in no way as good as Free Bedlington.co.uk Classifieds" high street stores, perhaps one that doesn't have much long term potential but it shows the kind of imaginative things I'm on about.

I think the only hope for our street is 'service businesses' or things that cannot be easily or conveniently purchsed online; hairdressing, drycleaning, dog grooming, local delivery items such as flowers and fresh food, taxi companies, estate agents... and to a lesser extend restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Views?

We do seem to have a shortage of decent restaurants.

I think we are all heading in the same direction Jim and I mean regarding the postings! Of course the internet will impact onto traditional small retailers in small towns like ours. The kids are growing up with it and using it for their purchases all the time so where would the next gen of footfall customers come from for shops?

My concern is that if we end up with a very small diffusion of trades operating in the town that in itself is unsustainable. Given the current climate and topography of our high street we should have concentrated shopping into the middle in a suitable development a long time ago. I would hope small niche retailers would still see worth in having a retail outlet to compliment their online presence and clutching them together could mean increased passing trade as they would inevitably have to draw on a wider area for walk-in customers. I have just been up to Scotland with a friend who wanted to buy a Xmas present for his better half but needed to see and touch the item before he bought it so even though he found it online he was only happy to buy once it was in the real world.

I also think there are some real barriers to setting up the likes of a retail unit on a high street though. Rents expected are one thing and I think landlords have a part to play as is the plain daft UBR. (Uniform Business Rate.) I am still convinced Bedders needs a town business manager not only to listen to and suggest schemes to drive development but to liaise with all interested parties and maybe bang some heads together!

Have to say well done Merc for going through the process. As long as you get the result you wanted the road you take is immaterial, although short cuts are always welcomed!

...it seems a lot of the advisors seem to be working from a pre-defined plan and it doesn't leave much room for more innovative business ideas.

This I agree with, and sorry I seemed to skirt around your point earlier.

i won't name my business advisor for that would be unfair - he has been absolutely excellent in the help he has given me and so on - but he was, quite clearly, a man from the 'old school'. No disrespect to him for that, for it's to be expected to an extent, but his job involves talking to schoolkids and such about going into business, and the intention is to inspire youngsters to look at alternative employemnt -self employment -in the future.

he fully admitted to me that he had absolutely no idea what I was on about when I went to him with my proposal; the internet, and it's commercial power, had clearly not permeated the world of Go Wansbeck to a sufficient degree. The majority of his business start ups were, after all, hairdressers, painters and decorators, and the like - traditional businesses and, if I may say without insult many of you, very 'northern' too. He has, I must say, many successful start ups in these areas, but I did broach with him the merit of forwarding funds to yet another hairdresser; off teh record, he agreed, but it's not his choice, it's the choice of a board and his job is simply to mentor these new businesses.

Not knocking hairdressers - I have a cousin who's been in teh business in this town for decadeas and does very well - but there are only so many heads!

If there's anyone out there who wants to look at starting in businss i'm more than willing to advise them on the route to take; I would also advise them to do it NOW for funding is likely to be gone in two years, thanks to the new council shake up, and with no visibl plans to replace Go Wansbeck (just as Wansbeck works has gone by the wayside).

If you have an idea, it's worth pursuing; mine is low overheads (a computer, broadband, office) and relatively high profit. The future may not be entirely internet based, but when you consider that global advertising expenditure on the net overtook the traditional methods for the first time this year you have a clue.

feel free to contact me if you need advice - i'm up for helping any prospective hairdressers, painters, or undertakers (now there's a profession that will never die....)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now