The Party Leaders Debate Round 2

Well it looks like the "establishment" are after the Liberals/Clegg theres been so much thrown at them this week :lol: its obvious he rattled the other two "leaders" last week so its time to throw a lot of muck and hope some of it sticks :rolleyes: I,m still not convinced there is a leader among any of them mind :rolleyes:

• Like 1

one thing stood out tonight vote lib dem and he'll throw away are nukes and tell the yanks to go forth and multiply! not a good idea with north korea and iran hating us! :mellow:

p.s why do you agree with nick? god help us if he gets in! :lol:

one thing stood out tonight vote lib dem and he'll throw away are nukes and tell the yanks to go forth and multiply! not a good idea with north korea and iran hating us! mellow.gif

p.s why do you agree with nick? god help us if he gets in! laugh.gif

Not even the worst of his barmy "policies" - he wants to give £6Bn+ of the Trident replacement "savings" to Brussels this year and £10Bn+ next. That's because the rebate Maggie negotiated has now run out, and from here on we are increasingly stuck with the full cost of subsidising the Brussels gravy train.

So... make a big deal about clawing back the odd million from our own MPs, but a three-party conspiracy of silence about the thousands of millions we are now throwing at the European snouts-in-the-trough.

And, the LD masterstroke on immigration: telling people who came here illegally in the first place what regions or towns they can and can not go to. Yeah, the illegals will pay some attention to that, and will be queueing up to pay their taxes too! rolleyes.gif Funny no one has thought to ask Vince Cable how much he has budgeted to police this idiotic idea! Even Gordo managed to call this one right; i.e. it will simply encourage more of the illegal immigration it is supposed to combat.

• Like 1

Well we have just seen the latest UK GDP figures. With an initial 0.2% rise this is way short of what Government told us to expect as the 'recovery' gathers pace. In fact this isn't a recovery this is what looks like a cynical manipulation by Government to get to the election in some sort of induced mass delusion. At best we are bumping along the bottom and that's probably as good as we could expect given that there have been no real policies enacted which tackle the weak fiscal position we are in. If Government are to be believed and we will see a 3% rise year on year imagine what has to take place to make those figures facts.

I really fail to see the significance of these leader debates as we do not elect them directly? We are ripping off the American version in some sort of glitzy glamming up of our democratic system. At best these debates make the leaders into sleazy PR men for their party manifestos don't they? It is surly down to the local candidates to reach their constituents and explain why we should give them our vote. Nice to see there is to be a Wansbeck debate at Ashington Leisure Centre soon where all the candidates will speak and answer questions. Lets hope we see a bit of substance rather than the usual spin!

• Like 1

Well we have just seen the latest UK GDP figures. With an initial 0.2% rise this is way short of what Government told us to expect as the 'recovery' gathers pace. In fact this isn't a recovery this is what looks like a cynical manipulation by Government to get to the election in some sort of induced mass delusion. At best we are bumping along the bottom and that's probably as good as we could expect given that there have been no real policies enacted which tackle the weak fiscal position we are in. If Government are to be believed and we will see a 3% rise year on year imagine what has to take place to make those figures facts.

I really fail to see the significance of these leader debates as we do not elect them directly? We are ripping off the American version in some sort of glitzy glamming up of our democratic system. At best these debates make the leaders into sleazy PR men for their party manifestos don't they? It is surly down to the local candidates to reach their constituents and explain why we should give them our vote. Nice to see there is to be a Wansbeck debate at Ashington Leisure Centre soon where all the candidates will speak and answer questions. Lets hope we see a bit of substance rather than the usual spin!

sorry know idea what your on about! must be the clegg effect! :lol:

It is surly down to the local candidates to reach their constituents and explain why we should give them our vote.

The problem I see with that is there needs to be some free thinking candidates and not ones simply toeing the party line. With no local candidates actively engaging with the electorate the only connection a lot of people get are these debates.

• Like 1

First candidate to reply to this thread explaining how they are going to engage with the people of Bedlington gets my vote as they'll have already done it.

I'm going to put the kettle on, this could be a long wait...

First candidate to reply to this thread explaining how they are going to engage with the people of Bedlington gets my vote as they'll have already done it.

I'm going to put the kettle on, this could be a long wait...

Last time someone said that............. :rolleyes:

"I am just going outside and may be some time." [L.E.G. Oates.]

The problem I see with that is there needs to be some free thinking candidates and not ones simply toeing the party line. With no local candidates actively engaging with the electorate the only connection a lot of people get are these debates.

GGGG,

I have been thinking about going to this hustings debate but then what can we ask? Can we really ask the main candidates about their national manifestos especially complex questions about economic differentials? How are the other candidates supposed to answer or do we have to set them other questions, which as far as I am concerned is treating them with less respect? Maybe we should agree a set of questions from Bedlington.co.uk?

This is a very interesting point. I've always been a bit sceptical of voting systems like the Scottish Parliament one which are a mixture of constituency MP elections plus a top-up to make the result proportional, as it means you have two types of MP. At the moment though how can people choose someone who they think would be the best local representative and put their area above party policy... while at the same time being able to choose between the party manifestos?

I have a question which given the election is all about the economy would seem valid.

How much off balance sheet liabilities do we hold and why aren't these classed as public debt in the normal way?

If we think about all the times lately we have heard of stuff going off balance sheet, the amounts must be staggering. The interest payments will be staggering never mind the principle debt and all of it unaccounted publicly! If we now have a nominal national debt of around £1.4T adding this stuff into the mix will quadruple that figure!

Why are the SNP making such a fuss about the telly debate? when they have there own debate in scotland! why do i need to listen to that baffoon salmond! hes got nowt to do with england lets invite the DUP or plaid welsh lot to join in to! :angry:

Why are the SNP making such a fuss about the telly debate? when they have there own debate in scotland! why do i need to listen to that baffoon salmond! hes got nowt to do with england lets invite the DUP or plaid welsh lot to join in to! :angry:

They might be confused cos our PM :lol: is Scottish :lol::rolleyes:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now