Overseas Aid And Eu Funding

tomtom

How do you feel about the increase in the Overseas Aid budget when all other departmental budgets have been cut and what about the proposal from the EU for the United Kingdom to up their contributions! Should we really be members of the European Community - are we true Europeans? and do we get value for money - I think not.

I don't think anyone can rationally argue to maintain the Foreign Aid budget never mind up it, certainly for the next few years!

I don't even believe we really need the full remit of cuts, they won't even do what they are supposed to do and that's putting our financial affairs in order. Look at the overspending by the likes of the MoD it's astronomical. Why ring fence the NHS, with a budget that size there has to be savings to be made without disrupting service delivery? Claw back some of the Sir Humphrey's golden goodbyes as well!

As for the EU, it should really be classed as 'Not Fit For Service' and I say that as someone who supported it initially! It has NEVER had a set of accounts signed off….that's EVER!

The rebate Madam T 'won' is due to be renegotiated and the French are trying to stop it thereby making our contribution increase. OK then let's do that if the CAP is scrapped and as France is by far the greatest beneficiary to that crazy scheme I wonder if Sarko and Madam La Grande will be so willing to put everything on the table.

Strange saga the EU, I remember when we had the reforendom in the 70s, I have not meet anyone yet that say's they voted to become members of the EU, yet there was a huge majority in favour of joining.

I remember when we joined everything doubled in price over night and has continued to so ever since.

I have never considered myself to be European and never will, I am British and always will be. Euorope is the other side of the water.

Pete, Brian,

So what do you classify as British these days as we have rushed headlong into embracing multiculturism and a global economy?

I think nationality is, by and large, a birth right but that isn't really what is being talked about.

I suppose what I really mean Malcolm and I opologise for the strong langauge, Stuff the common market lets get out and return all Sovereignty back to GB.

Anyone noticed what the Eurocrats have done……….passed a bill for a 6.9% budget increase! And here's me thinking 'we are all in this together' in every sense of the wording, not! These people are space cadets and should be blasted into space! At a time of austerity with just about every national government trimming budgets these guys have upped theirs?

As for the UK increased contribution the figures I have heard seem to suggest an increase of around £5-6 billion. Coupled with a similar amount for an increase in foreign aid, that equates to the amount the coalition have just chopped out of council budgets this year as an extra measure of savings, (£10b) that's before the spending review stuff takes hold. That alone look to be going to cost NCC around £50M+ and if we then perm in the £10m extra hit they took and their savings already this year of about £15M+ we can see we are heading up to £100M local cut in 2 years. That is a massive hit for an area which has almost 50% employment in the public sector! While this is going on what has been happening to our rates bills, ah yes they haven't been cut in fact quite the opposite! So we can expect even less of a service but pay even more in, there is a hell of a black hole somewhere!

• Like 1

I suppose what I really mean Malcolm and I opologise for the strong langauge, Stuff the common market lets get out and return all Sovereignty back to GB.

I am not sure that is the best course of action at the mo Pete. If the present currency wars continue it won't be long before we see trade sanctions and we need to be part of a much larger grouping if that happens to have any chance.

Anyone noticed what the Eurocrats have done……….passed a bill for a 6.9% budget increase! And here's me thinking 'we are all in this together' in every sense of the wording, not! These people are space cadets and should be blasted into space! At a time of austerity with just about every national government trimming budgets these guys have upped theirs?

As for the UK increased contribution the figures I have heard seem to suggest an increase of around £5-6 billion. Coupled with a similar amount for an increase in foreign aid, that equates to the amount the coalition have just chopped out of council budgets this year as an extra measure of savings, (£10b) that's before the spending review stuff takes hold. That alone look to be going to cost NCC around £50M+ and if we then perm in the £10m extra hit they took and their savings already this year of about £15M+ we can see we are heading up to £100M local cut in 2 years. That is a massive hit for an area which has almost 50% employment in the public sector! While this is going on what has been happening to our rates bills, ah yes they haven't been cut in fact quite the opposite! So we can expect even less of a service but pay even more in, there is a hell of a black hole somewhere!

Herd a little bit on the news last night that GB, France and Germany are trying to get the buget increase down to 2.9%

Pete,

Remember 'Yes Minister'? Sir Humphrey would suggest a line of action where he overplayed his hand to begin with and eventually bamboozled Hacker into thinking he had cut the original proposal by half when in reality that was what was wanted all along.

I think the last Government did a similar thing where there was a press leak about a controversial plan, all very deniable of course, then once the public had digested it and the Gov bods had seen reaction it was then brought out as a white paper if there wasn't too much public anger.

As an aside to this thread you might like to consider just what Mr Camerooon has been up to. Remember him, 'The British people demand a referendum!' Our newly elected leader.

Van Rompuy wants a new treaty pushed through to 'strengthen economic governance in the EU'. Dave told us there would be no more devolving sovereignty to Brussels without a referendum so we can rest assured.

Err not quite…….

''Downing Street has indicated that David Cameron may be prepared to trade agreement on a new treaty in return for a deal to cap the EU's runaway budget.''

Yup, +2.9% for the eurocrats is being hailed as a Dave win! :rolleyes:

-10% would have been a win - pointing to the -20% that our own govt. departments have suffered. The euro gravy train only travels in one direction, and there are no red lights!

They're smiling all the way to the celebratory all-expenses-paid nosh-up!

As an aside to this thread you might like to consider just what Mr Camerooon has been up to. Remember him, 'The British people demand a referendum!' Our newly elected leader.

Van Rompuy wants a new treaty pushed through to 'strengthen economic governance in the EU'. Dave told us there would be no more devolving sovereignty to Brussels without a referendum so we can rest assured.

Err not quite…….

''Downing Street has indicated that David Cameron may be prepared to trade agreement on a new treaty in return for a deal to cap the EU's runaway budget.''

Thats my point Malcolm lets get out of there and get rid of the fat unacountable money grabbers and return sovereignty back to GB. Take a look at the eqaulity law, we are allowed to have an opinion but not to state it

Pete,

The problem I have is, like I said, I agree with the sentiment of a joined up Europe, I just disagree with the way it has been rolled out and governed. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a Europe 'sans frontiers' but one which respects cultural differences and in fact celebrates them. I think the idea is way beyond the capabilities of the people involved that's all! In fact it seems more about self-aggrandisement of the few rather than something which promotes universal benefits for all the peoples involved. Maybe that's just a cynical view on all political democracy at the moment?

As for the governing laws, well I do agree we seem hog-tied down in a lot of respects but again looking at the other side of the coin we should be glad the likes of the European Court of Human Rights is there, especially regarding some of their rulings which took precedence over our own governments intentions!

It certainly needs sorting out and the sooner the better but until we start to take a real interest in what happens 'across the water' in the far off land of Eurotocrita we will only be in a position of feeling the effects rather than influence the directives.

Oh and don't think we are alone in questioning the machinations of Europe Ltd most of the other European nationals I have spoken to over the last 15 years are of the same opinion!

• Like 1

Pete,

The problem I have is, like I said, I agree with the sentiment of a joined up Europe, I just disagree with the way it has been rolled out and governed. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a Europe 'sans frontiers' but one which respects cultural differences and in fact celebrates them. I think the idea is way beyond the capabilities of the people involved that's all! In fact it seems more about self-aggrandisement of the few rather than something which promotes universal benefits for all the peoples involved. Maybe that's just a cynical view on all political democracy at the moment?

As for the governing laws, well I do agree we seem hog-tied down in a lot of respects but again looking at the other side of the coin we should be glad the likes of the European Court of Human Rights is there, especially regarding some of their rulings which took precedence over our own governments intentions!

It certainly needs sorting out and the sooner the better but until we start to take a real interest in what happens 'across the water' in the far off land of Eurotocrita we will only be in a position of feeling the effects rather than influence the directives.

Oh and don't think we are alone in questioning the machinations of Europe Ltd most of the other European nationals I have spoken to over the last 15 years are of the same opinion!

Well Malcolm I was never very good at putting things into words and I can not put an argument into words like you can but I stand by what I said the quicker we get out of the EU the better. I was happy before we joined and I will be happy when we leave, whenever that may be. As for the human rights, good thing bad thing I am not so sure.

• Like 1

I don't even believe we really need the full remit of cuts, they won't even do what they are supposed to do and that's putting our financial affairs in order. Look at the overspending by the likes of the MoD it's astronomical. Why ring fence the NHS, with a budget that size there has to be savings to be made without disrupting service delivery? Claw back some of the Sir Humphrey's golden goodbyes as well!

Not just me then..........

• 2 weeks later...

I think I want a seat on your bus now Pete.

Its not the theory its the practicality we need to change.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3139895

Malcolm you would be welcome on the bus its headed to Norway or Switzerland as they seem to trade freely with Europe with out being member states. :D

I watched that program and there is a lot of lessons to be learnt from it but will the state shrink and the private sector grow, doutfull even under this goverment.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now