Looking For A Bedlington 3 Generations Family.

Cyril, these events are all taking place on 3rd June, and there are lots of outdoor activities planned e.g. fun fair, rides, races etc so I think they need the extra space. The Town Council have commissioned BVAL to put on weekly sport/fitness activities at the Community Centre and a 5 day per week programme in the school holidays. When the details are available I'll post them here. The Salvation Army are also putting on a free event for the Olympic Opening Ceremony, again more details later.

Cyril,

I meant every venue has to fight hard to stay in existence so it's not surprising organisations will use their own venues. I will say there is bound to be some cross pollination at some point though.

Like Stephen said there should be a whole host of events on over the summer this year and there is an effort to bring everything together so everyone can see and understand what is going on and where/when.

The consultation the Trust did clearly shows a widespread request for events to take place in and around the Town. Now of course people need to back them by turning up and making them successful, that way they stand a chance of being repeated in some form or other.

I will also say some people have looked at putting on a Bedlington Fayre again but the H&S legislation is impossible for small groups to get around.

• Like 1

The markets are ran by NCC, well put out for others to run some of them anyway. NCC carry their own liabilities as a matter of business as normal and that will cover them for the likes of markets. (Plus there is a big push to get markets re-established in Northumberland, it's part of the NCC regeneration strategy)

Trying to organise something like a Town Fayre is fraught with problems and in reality H&S is only one part. A community group trying to put on a Fayre has everything from risk assessment to PL insurance and they need a policy in place for each and every separate section as well. Policing, crowd control, stewarding, road closures etc. the list is almost endless and that's before you think about cost effective attractions to get people there.

The markets are ran by NCC, well put out for others to run some of them anyway. NCC carry their own liabilities as a matter of business as normal and that will cover them for the likes of markets. (Plus there is a big push to get markets re-established in Northumberland, it's part of the NCC regeneration strategy)

Trying to organise something like a Town Fayre is fraught with problems and in reality H&S is only one part. A community group trying to put on a Fayre has everything from risk assessment to PL insurance and they need a policy in place for each and every separate section as well. Policing, crowd control, stewarding, road closures etc. the list is almost endless and that's before you think about cost effective attractions to get people there.

Unfortunatly....... Enough said ..... But thank you once again for taking the time to reply...

"Cyril, these events are all taking place on 3rd June, and there are lots of outdoor activities planned e.g. fun fair, rides, races etc so I think they need the extra space. The Town Council have commissioned BVAL to put on weekly sport/fitness activities at the Community Centre and a 5 day per week programme in the school holidays. When the details are available I'll post them here. The Salvation Army are also putting on a free event for the Olympic Opening Ceremony, again more details later."

Will these events be widely, clearly and thoroughly advertised? I'm thinking about the Heritage Weekend and the Sustrans Portrait Bench fiasco last year. Would hate to see another one go down the pan.

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now