Police Commissioners

About fifty years overdue! I never understood why the public tolerated such an archaic system. We need more democratisation, and - particularly in Bedlington's case - a lot more common sense in voting for our own interests! That means not being dupes for long outdated class-driven politics, and exacting a high price from BOTH main parties for our votes.

Yes GGG's comment is wrong to say the least. All police commissioners are a political tool to try and win votes, they are in my opinion a waste of tax payers money. Also do police commissioners not go against GGG's support for privatisation as they are/will be political party members/civil servants (a band of Government)?

I had a look at that link and was surprised at those who are unable to stand:

"A person may not stand as a PCC if:

• they have been convicted of an imprisonable offence
  • they are a serving; civil servant, judge, police officer, member of the regular armed forces, employee of a council within the force area, employee of a police related agency, employee of another government agency, politically restricted post-holder, member of police staff (including PCSOs) or member of a police authority
  • MEPs, MSPs, AMs and MPs will be able to stand as PCCs, but will need to stand down from their existing post before being able to accept the post of PCC"

Bullet point 2 rules out just about anybody working in the public sector ... hardly widening the democratic franchise!

Yes GGG's comment is wrong to say the least. All police commissioners are a political tool to try and win votes, they are in my opinion a waste of tax payers money. Also do police commissioners not go against GGG's support for privatisation as they are/will be political party members/civil servants (a band of Government)?

So how do you feel about the present Police Authorities? Are they a glowing, and cost-efficient, example of democracy in action? Who appoints them, and how much do they cost? You don't know? Maybe you were never meant to know! :)

I fail to see what this has to do with privatisation/nationalisation of industry, please explain? Sometimes, you know (actually, quite often!) politicians do the right thing for quite the wrong reasons.

I had a look at that link and was surprised at those who are unable to stand:

"A person may not stand as a PCC if:

• they have been convicted of an imprisonable offence
  • they are a serving; civil servant, judge, police officer, member of the regular armed forces, employee of a council within the force area, employee of a police related agency, employee of another government agency, politically restricted post-holder, member of police staff (including PCSOs) or member of a police authority
  • MEPs, MSPs, AMs and MPs will be able to stand as PCCs, but will need to stand down from their existing post before being able to accept the post of PCC"

Bullet point 2 rules out just about anybody working in the public sector ... hardly widening the democratic franchise!

Think it's meant to mitigate against it being a place to retire failed and non-performing "public servants" to. Wouldn't do to give the House of Lords any actual competition in that regard. Not so much widening it as deepening it. The present system couldn't be any more undemocratic!

The Right Honourable Lord Prescott is standing I believe...........

Lord Blair, no not that BLiar, has a different view.............

http://www.dailymail...-elections.html

I think it's a close run thing between Blair 1 and Blair 2 in the credibility stakes. Have to agree with Grayling on this one. If MPs have to stand down first then why don't peers? This could be positively beneficial for the public purse if people like Slugger Prescott fancy their chances!

I fail to see what this has to do with privatisation - please explain? Sometimes, you know (actually, quite often!) politicians do the right thing for quite the wrong reasons.

Well Police Commissioners are/will be from Political parties and not independent so they will be a branch of Government, thus they are state owned/operated, thus they go against privatisation, which you support.

...are/will be from Political parties...

Really! Where does it say that?!

I - in common with the Russians and Chinese Communists these days (and, of course, the UK Labour Party) - think that industry should be controlled by the best most competent people who get there by their own abilities, and not by political appointees. But that has nothing to do with how government is run.

Your thus doesn't follow on from your thus, and that doesn't flow from your so... - even if your "are/will be" was right, which it likely isn't! :D

This is true - snow choice!

Need some crusading independents, else simply more jobs for the boys! :(

Time to change the SSID on your WiFi to alert the neighbours to the stitch-up. http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/passive-aggressive-wi-fi/?utm_source=nrel1 :D

We urgently need a re run of the nominations.................... :wtf2:

http://www.choosemyp...rea/northumbria

I wonder if there's any chance we could get Commissioner Gordon out of retirement. He took his lot from Gotham City in the late sixties and to date has still not been accused of Pension and Expenses scams, Nepotism, tearing up Speeding Tickets or Driving under the influence.They don't seem to make them like that nowadays.

post-2205-0-11908700-1351415450_thumb.jp

Edited by foxy

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now