Clay Pipes

Wee can mind the barbershop at the Top End? Run by two mental brothers, I think. Used to sell baccy, blobs and clay pipes. The ahd gadgies would sit ootside on a bench and smoke tha clay pipes. Wor generation was probably the last te see clay pipes in common use.

Wee can mind the barbershop at the Top End? Run by two mental brothers, I think. Used to sell baccy, blobs and clay pipes. The ahd gadgies would sit ootside on a bench and smoke tha clay pipes. Wor generation was probably the last te see clay pipes in common use.

Paul, I still have one of these relics (clay Pipes), it is broken into about three pieces and gone slightly yellow. Not sure why I have kept it all these years.

When we where kids (about 13/14) we used to buy them from the paper shop at the station and smoke Golden Virginia in them. Difficult stuff to smoke in a pipe as it keep going out and if you took a big drag to try and keep it alight it just about blew your lungs out.

There was a barbershop just here through the gate and on the left called "Billy the Barbers" funily enough.It was run by brothers, My mother would take me here to have my "Heed taken down to the Wood" some of the members on here may know a bit more about them (Threegee)

Hold on, that could be me going in there :|

Edited by foxy

Yep and it says Wood Sons and co . Bedlington Newcastle and Bellingham.

The miners lamp was via Stephen Martin, Evan's Dad.

The clay pipes were from a Victorian rubbish dump in Bedlington.

I will try to take a better picture of some with carvings.

One has RAOB

Sure Malcolm, use the picture.

Pity it came out the wrong way. ' plans of Mice and Men'

I have other Bedlington bottles if you want more pictures.

May take me time to find them.

Invalid stout was I think sweet Guinness type ale.

Ginger Ale is to aid the digestion as far as I recollect.

Maggie,

Do you mind if I use that picture of the bottle? Plus what's Invalid Stout? Maybe ginger beer or sarsaparilla?

I remember Muter's, the local pop shop. Used to get four bottles delivered te the hoose every Friday. Lemonade, Limeafe, Dandelion and Burdock and Cream Soda.

When I was a student in London at the end of the 60s beginning of the 70s clay pipes were still available in proper tabacconist shops (remember them? - not newsagents that happen to sell baccy). I used what was called a 'beadle' clay pipe for smoking dope - the thing was about 12" long with a red tip and 'cooled' the smoke down a bit when toking - my preferred mix was Ogdens Rough Shag* with Moroccan Black mixed in (even the Ogdens was enough to make your head spin just on its own!). When I think back the pipe must have looked terribly pretentious.

*I still have a number of those Ogden tins in my garage ... storing nails & screws.

Clay pipes, amazing if illegal memories.

One of my kids did a radio show and asked the question:- In what period of history would you have liked to live?'

His answer was to claim he would have liked to have been a teenager in the 60s 70s.

We did just fine, long hair, music etc

Ian Dury describes our lives in a song.

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll.

And Clay Pipes!

Look what you started Paul Mann

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now