D Day Operation Overlord.

Several members of my family on both my mum and dads side served in both world wars.

I am unsure of which units/battles they thought in, but I am interested to find out.

I know my great grandfather served as a ambulance driver in the Somme during the 1st world war, He never spoke about the war to my grandfather or my mum, same with my great uncle who served in the Royal Navy, He never spoke about the war either.

I can only imagine the horrors they witnessed, disfigurement, dismemberment, severe burns on the body, the list is endless.

I am proud to said my family did their bit to keep this country safe and free.

It is so easy not to ask the right questions in the living years Adam.

The previous generations all have amazing stories to tell.

It is sad that for some families it is to late and all the history of a family dies.

The folk involved in any war often do not talk about their experiences to nearest an dearest.

Seth Lakeman folk musician learnt more about his Grandfather from a recording he did with people outside the family..

Go ask those questions today.

The historical research starts in the living years.

My Grandad Albert Moore Gibbon was killed six days before this war finished

near a town in France named Awoight and he is buried in the British cemetary there

When I lived in France there was a small hamlet just up the river from us and once a year there was a memorial service at the large memorial carved stone near the chapel there. 

During the war this area had been a hot bed for the Resistance and there were a lot of munitions being hidden.   After rounding up all the inhabitants the Germans asked where the munitions were being hidden and who was in the Resistance.  After no answers were forthcoming the whole lot of the villagers were shot. 

As with a lot of small villages and communes anywhere, family members were prolific in the locality  so it's hardly any wonder this sort of remembrance has been maintained.  

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now