Costs for Dualling the A1

The dualling of the A1 in my opinion is something that is long overdue, when I travel up to Alnwick I always get stuck behind a tractor and a few cars behind it just after Morpeth going at 30mph.

One way the county council could do it is by not poring millions into Ashington and invest it on something that will benefit the whole county.

Need they be reminded they are Northumberland County Council, not Ashington District Council!

Regardless of cost the road should have been 'Motorway' for years.

Imagine the benefit in trade for us all.

The debate on independence, could be said, to hinge on topics like this.

Travel South at any stage over the last ten / twenty years and clearly the road building projects have cost squillions!

Unfair advantage it seems to me!

On the other hand you could say ' they have paved paradise and put up a parking lot'

As Joni would say!

"imagine the benefit in trade for us all."

I'm  not convinced about this Maggie. Dualling the A1 would make it more comfortable for drivers who use it, but would it bring more trade to the region? I can't see much coming our way from Scotland, really? Selfishly, I'd rather it stayed as it is, as I hate the vast expanses of tarmac that crisscross the land everywhere!

Hang on a minute ... we can't have huge tracts of Northumberland desecrated just because Adam gets stuck behind a tractor towing a slurry trailer.  Yep, the top Jockos might be based in the East but they let the train/plane take the strain;  they're unlikely to drive-up in their chauffeur driven Bentleys in sufficient numbers to warrant destroying the landscape.

Sadly the news is out about how beautiful our county really is, the result is traffic and congestion..

The tractors are contractors who travel huge distances, not just between the odd field.

We need a motorway!

When the railway was constructed between Bakewell and Buxton there was / is an incredible quote on a viaduct in Monsal Dale that the 'Sun-kissed valley was being ruined so any fool could get between the two towns in a short space of time'

Get out and walk the old railway line it is still beautiful.

Our County will still be one of the best place in the World after the construction of a Motorway.

"railway was constructed between Bakewell and Buxton..."

Know it well.....

"Our County will still be one of the best place in the World after the construction of a Motorway"

Still can't agree Maggie! I have admitted to selfishness in this, as I hardly drive these days!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now