Latest survey

Tonyp

I sort of knew no one would offer a figure. I think to most rich is what you want it to be at any given time.  It's more that you ever realistically see yourself having, and maybe less than you'd like some newly-discovered relative in Australia to leave you.  It's a woolly concept most favoured by the Labour Party to use in their game of capitalising on jealousy and envy in order to make themselves rich.

To Red Ed. it's currently having a house valued at £2M (ignore however small or large your other assets and capital).  That's because Red Ed's house has recently been valued at circa £1.6M, and on present trends, and given the time-scale of these things, you need to add a bit of slack.

I think it's a word most ordinary people should think twice about using, or - like Ed - put an intensely private figure on it.

"another scheme that avoids our tax system"

Tax avoidance has never been illegal, and as long as people can exercise their free will never will be. The politicos make all the rules yet they still have to stoop to implying that people organising their own affairs more efficiently are doing highly immoral things. Most of them are trained lawyers and they have thousands of lawyers working for them, and an unlimited number of attempts to get it right, yet still they claim that they need more power and time in office to right claimed wrongs. They try to conflate avoid and evade in the minds of their audience.  People should not buy into this sleight of hand.

A flat rate tax system without ifs and buts would be better for everyone, but there would be vastly less work for lawyers.  A more competitive economy wouldn't need all the tax incentives, and so be far less capable of abuse.  Politicians love to tinker, in that tinkering produce their own sets of problems, and are thus able to justify their own existence in the always claimed need to fix them.

Malcolm sorry I can't do that but I would swear that it still goes on in Bedlington & people have got well off using people who sign on

To them it's cheap labour & the guys who get the cash in hand to them it's beer money surely Malcolm you know it goes on,you can't

Be that much in a plastic bubble....

I am not Tony in any way shape or form.  

Course it goes on, its a way of life but what you are talking about is pitiful compared to the zillions the bankers have just got!  

And lets not forget our glorious MP's quite a few of whom are non execs on sizeable salaries.  

Lets talk about contempt and see who holds the law of the land in the most contempt!   

Course it goes on, its a way of life but what you are talking about is pitiful compared to the zillions the bankers have just got!  

And lets not forget our glorious MP's quite a few of whom are non execs on sizeable salaries.  

Lets talk about contempt and see who holds the law of the land in the most contempt!   

You're saying that something which is certainly illegal is morally superior to something which probably isn't?

Those MPs are mostly lawyers themselves and they make the laws.  Seems to me the public doesn't get value from these people and the most useful talk would be to decide how we replace them.  They are doing the constitutional deciding once again, and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.  They rely on the fact that the public can't get its act together, and act with a unified purpose.

You, more than anyone else here, understands that there will always be loopholes.  The only way toward eliminating them is a flat rate tax system without (vote-buying) allowances, incentives and general political tinkering all the time.  It's your "law of unseen consequences".

I'm all for class war, but it must be the class war of the age, and not tilting at windmills.  The class enemy is the EU, the current political establishment, and a large section of the media.  All are totally united against the interests of the electorate.  Their strategy is divide and conquer -  Lab, Lib, Con is a pure sham and a diversion.

Maggie said: 

Except CAB

Make a reasoned case for a CAB and everyone here will unite to get you one!  It's called democracy, but we haven't seen it for quite some time!

I didn't say I'd deleted it Maggie, or that I pressed any buttons to delete it.  The reason was purely technical - if you don't count the two glasses of wine.  I am still grovelling apologetic though!  From what I still remember there were some good points.

My point is that if a CAB is really important we should unify on this.

Untill pretty recently CAB's, well the two I know of, had rent/rate free premesis.  

Changes in associated public budgets did away with those pretty dammed important subsidies.  

Not sure if the manager/staff gets paid but just about everyone associated with CAB does it voluntarilly.  

These (CABs) should be funded because they are normally the first line of defence against a totalitarian system of local/national government.  

GGG, you know as well as I do the only people who pay their due taxes are us mugs at the bottom of the pile!  

The Revenue shouldn't be cutting deals they should be collecting whats due off ANYONE!   

No I don't!  HMRC are ruthlessly efficient - certainly compared with other countries. When they do a deal it's genuinely in the public interest.

That there's huge tax dodging going on is a myth promoted by the jealousy and envy party.  It's a convenient way of explaining away how undeliverable promises of more free stuff to buy votes will be funded. This is not confined to Labour of course, but they are the principal shysters.  Conflating avoidance and evasion is their stock in trade.

The reality is that multinationals - perfectly legally - get away with murder by transfer pricing, and using the creaky, insane, politics-before-economics, structure of the EU to move profits around.  Ukip has the solution - a turnover tax which ignores the creative accounting.  Simples!  Why won't LibLabCon copy this?  Can't you work that out for yourself?

I think HMRC is underfunded like most government departments.

Less and less employees do more and more work it seems!

There is an argument under 'Quantative Easing' for putting the money in a helicopter and throwing it out to stimulate the economy.

Instead of that employ people!

Start with bus conductors and solve traffic congestion.

Well not entirely!

In the past there were so many more local jobs and people supported the local economy.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now