Eurovision Song Contest

It's that time of year again folks! Eurovision hysteria is upon us. What is this Contest all about? Gone are the Days of Katie Boyle and her "deux Points" (yes, I know, Iäm giving my age away)! Is it anything to do with 'song' today or is it more about 'show'? The artists are like specks on the horizon amidst the flashing lights and fireworks. How can we say a certain country is competing when their entry is written by someone from another country? Sad to see that 25% of the songs tonight were written by swedes but none of them competing for Sweden - though all are better than the Swedish entry. Finland's entry? Was it good Music or a cheap trick? And The Netherland's entry - where have I Heard it before? Russia did a good job though.

Edited by Canny lass

As we are back to politics here I have A Song for Europe;)

Actually not Europe but the EU; strange how our politicos use the names almost interchangeably when they are utterly different concepts.

I see the respected Digby Jones is now telling the truth now that he's no longer gagged as CBI boss.

Those were the Days, when songs had a message to get across!

I know exactly what you mean; perhaps best exemplified by the 1968 Spanish winning entry.  ;)

No need to watch folks, the Guardian has it all sussed.

Seems they haven't actually listened to any of the songs whilst compiling their spreadsheets, which rather says it all!

And the winner will be:

Armenia

(and please don't retype this "in the clear" you spoiler people - you types have already totally ruined the Internet Movie Database for many! :) )

Anyway, I've just bought a new sound bar to replace the pathetic little rattly speakers on my FSTV.  So my excuse for watching will be that they must be properly tested before the return to shop period ends.

What is an  Aussie doing on Eurovision (Guy Sebastion) Oz is a long way from Europe

AustraliaEU.jpg

While you were sleeping?  I think it's called continental drift!  :D

Quite a Nail-biting final! Didn't we do well! First Place and second Place - well, Russia's text and Music are written by Swedes.

I won first prize for correctly predicting which entry would get least votes and my old/Young man came second in the "guess the gimmick" competition. We don't bother predicting the Winner at our Eurovision get together. As 3g points out there are others who do that for us - with varying degrees of success.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now