Is this Bedlington?

Photo posted on Facebook by David Bailey, a descendant of Geordie Graham who is in the photo, but he does not know where the photo was taken or what the event is :-

1023193783_DavidBaileyc1930.jpg.6ae3067839921bde39d89cf239f0ea80.jpg

Looking through all the old photos of Bedlington I have I cannot identify the buildings. As there is a charabanc in the photo and all the men are wearing white flowers in their buttonholes we assume it is a special event. In the 1920's and up to when he moved into Hollymount Square Geordie Graham and his family lived in Haig Road - they were neighbours and very good friends of my granda and granny Henderson.

What was noticed by 'Shep' on the Facebook group was that two of the people in the photo used to run The Barrington Arms and from that we are assuming, as those two do not appear to be dressed for whatever the event was, the photo was taken in Bedlington.

Can anyone identify the area this phot could have been taken - or the event - or anyone in the photo? 

David Bailey with  some info added.jpg

Barrinton Arms2.jpg

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that it’s not a stone’s throw from the Barrington Arms in Vulcan Place. The clothing of James and Mary Morgan - no coats and James with his sleeves rolled up (possibly ready for, or even at, work) seems to suggest that they’ve just stepped outside for a minute, rather than be off on an outing. The woman in the front row is even wearing her slippers.

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that it’s not a stone’s throw from the Barrington Arms in Vulcan Place. The clothing of James and Mary Morgan - no coats and James with his sleeves rolled up (possibly ready for, or even at, work) seems to suggest that they’ve just stepped outside for a minute, rather than be off on an outing. The woman in the front row is even wearing her slippers.

And that's what I thought at first but it's just tat I can't track down any building with the large stone. clean cut, bricks. Still looking when a new thought pops into the head but not getting anywhere.

This is some info that Janice Henderson put in a comment :-

some info.png

Waiting foe a reply from Janice re the approximate D.o.B. and age of Sadie so we will get a probable date of the photo.:)

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

On 13/11/2022 at 19:36, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I can't track down any building with the large stone. clean cut, bricks.

There aren't a lot of photos of Vulcan Place but clean cut bricks appear often in Bedlington's east end, especially noticeable in the buildings on the south side. Have a look in the gallery "Drinking establishments" for buildings around the Black Bull. We need some better photos.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Canny lass said:

There aren't a lot of photos of Vulcan Place but clean cut bricks appear often in Bedlington's east end, especially noticeable in the buildings on the south side. 

Had another search through all the old photos, especially those East End south side, but no luck. Still haven't had a reply back on Facebook Bygone Bedlington where I asked Janice Henderson (who named the 3 Morgan's in the photo) if she could find out the approximate year based on Sadie Morgan's DoB. Janice did comment that she would ask her relatives who had researched the family.The original photo with - buildings, then footpath, then curb, then road, then edging did suggest the East End south side as it had the single width road running along the top of the embankment that went down to the main road but can't find anything that matches -

eg. North and South side :- 2002451972_EastEndcomp.thumb.jpg.634437721c9eb6b075f32792150ff220.jpg
Haven't given up - yet:)

20 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I asked Janice Henderson (who named the 3 Morgan's in the photo) if she could find out the approximate year based on Sadie Morgan's DoB. Janice did comment that she would ask her relatives who had researched the family.

Sadie is the diminutive name of the name Sarah. James and Mary, both born 1895 in Bedlington, had a daughter Sarah Jane, born 1914. They had two other children: William George born 1918 and Phyllis born 1919. I think the child in the photo, if she is known as Sadie, is probably Sarah Jane. Could the photo have anything to do with the end of WW1? Early 1920s?

• Like 1

I'm still thinking this photo is in Vulcan Place, perhaps opposite the pub. If you look at old maps there was no building going on in Vulcan Place until sometime 1870 - 80. The rest of central Bedlington is a great deal older. It's reasonable to believe that stone-working skills had improved from the rough cuts seen in the earlier photos.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now