1960's Corner Shop Palace Road & St John's Road.

I was asked what the name of the corner shop accross from the Wallaw cinema used to be called. I must have been in that shop almost every school day between 1960 & 65 and many other weekend days but I can't for the life of me remember the name(s) of what it used to be.

Can anyone in this group remember any name of the shop between 1950's and 1970's?

The current shop is Lifestyke Express and the entrance and shop window moved onto Palace Road :-

Corner Shop.png

Dunno Alan but I know an Asian guy had it in the 70’s we would finish school go to the shop & was able to buy 1tab for 3p we would smoke on the back of the Raisbeck bus imagine doing that now 😂 the tab was players No6 happy days 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

Dunno Alan but I know an Asian guy had it in the 70’s we would finish school go to the shop & was able to buy 1tab for 3p we would smoke on the back of the Raisbeck bus imagine doing that now 😂 the tab was players No6 happy days 

Cheers @Tonyp can't remeber them selling single fags in the early 1960's - we had to go to the 'A' pit institute to buy single Woodbines for 2d :)

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

29 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Johnson's! I wouldn't know about the fags but you could get a quarter of Jelly babies for 6d in the late 50s and early 60s.

Spot on CL. I posted my question + the Google street view image of the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group and the site went crazy. About 250+ replies and there are even more questions and comments been posted now.

Johnson's got over 40 comments - these are some of the replies :-

Comment.png

Gary Dixon.png

Liz Mathews.png

Brian Humble.png

Keith Jameson.png

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.