Netherton Lane - 1900s Help, please?

I'm looking for old photos of Netherton Lane, particularly the area around the cemetery. I live adjacent to the west lea side of the cemetery fence, my house isn't on the 1900 maps at Woodhorn but is there by 1905 so I was hoping to try find some old photos of what it and the area originally looked like. 

Any help would be lovely - I've tried and failed to find much info in the past - the downfall of having a home likely once owned by the coal board! Archived info isn't easy to find :) I thought I'd try again whilst on Maternity leave with a bit more time on my hands! Sort of...! 

Screenshot_20230621_214922_Chrome.jpg

22 hours ago, Rachel H said:

I'm looking for old photos of Netherton Lane, particularly the area around the cemetery. I live adjacent to the west lea side of the cemetery fence, my house isn't on the 1900 maps at Woodhorn but is there by 1905 so I was hoping to try find some old photos of what it and the area originally looked like. 

Any help would be lovely - I've tried and failed to find much info in the past - the downfall of having a home likely once owned by the coal board! Archived info isn't easy to find :) I thought I'd try again whilst on Maternity leave with a bit more time on my hands! Sort of...! 

Screenshot_20230621_214922_Chrome.jpg

@Rachel H can't remember ever having seen any early 20th centuary photos of Netherton Lane on this group or the Bygone Bedlingto Facebook group:(.

There have been a couple of posts where a huse named Kurri Kurri gets mentioned on Netherton Lane but no photo.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan. I think you're right. I've had a good trawl over the years! Kurri is a few doors down from me and there have never been pics on those posts either. 

I have an unusual house, no windows were originally built at the back of the property, supposedly so the Pit Manager who lived here didn't need to see the pit from his home. Our house survey also mentioned a shaft in our back garden. Lots of history but only speculation I think.

Never mind!  

@Rachel H - I've never been to the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn Colliery but no doubt it's the place where you could spend houes/days searching for historical records of the area. If you are on Facebook the group Bygone Bedlington admin is John Kyzyznowski and he works at the Woodhorn Archives and might be able to advise you where to look🤞

https://northumberlandarchives.com/

On 21/06/2024 at 11:05, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Rachel H - I've never been to the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn Colliery but no doubt it's the place where you could spend houes/days searching for historical records of the area. If you are on Facebook the group Bygone Bedlington admin is John Kyzyznowski and he works at the Woodhorn Archives and might be able to advise you where to look🤞

https://northumberlandarchives.com/

Thanks, Alan. That's actually where I started my search a few years ago and I met with John! He was great but it's so hard to know where to search and he confirmed there are boxes and boxes of archives not sorted or saved. It's also likely any I fo about our house may sit with the coal board who are notoriously bad at keeping records. I emailed and never got a reply!

A big job for retirement [in 30 years] I think! Never mind 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rachel H said:

A big job for retirement [in 30 years] I think! 

When the weather is fine get out and play:thumbsup:. In the winter months, when yourretired and stuck indoors, is the time to be'clarting' on line and researching thepast.:) 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now