Newbiggin Couple

Cympil

I think that wifes face has a Myra Hindley look about it :blink:

I think she has a nice backside but did she really have to wear a thong and why has the guy got a flat cap on? Is it supposed to be representational of Newbiggin folk or what? Bit like the "Angel" the subject matter might have been a bit different but at least something is there for the world to see.

I think she has a nice backside but did she really have to wear a thong and why has the guy got a flat cap on? Is it supposed to be representational of Newbiggin folk or what? Bit like the "Angel" the subject matter might have been a bit different but at least something is there for the world to see.

Malcolm, how do you know she's got a thong on?

Thats just the hem of the jeans, besides any women would be hard pressed to find a pair of full knickers these days.

I know what you mean though, I wondered if they were supposed to represent people of the north, with the cap and the miserable faces!

:lol:

But at least we can say we have something different!

Seen them in the news they look good, will have a good look when I am up there on holiday.

Malcolm,

A thong, you must have good eyes.

:D

All blokes have good eyes when it comes to thongs..but they`re suddenly blind if there`s dishes in the sink :lol:

All blokes have good eyes when it comes to thongs..but they`re suddenly blind if there`s dishes in the sink :lol:

:P:P:P

She is either wearing a thong or those supposildly feminine boxers!

High band knickers would leave a line on the top of her butt cheeks and normal ones would leave a line across the bottom, or so I have been told! Course if she bent down with a thong on we would see the most ridiculous and stomach churning sight in female lingerie!

Joking aside they could have been "posed" in a much more exciting stance, they just look mesmerised.

High band knickers would leave a line on the top of her butt cheeks and normal ones would leave a line across the bottom, or so I have been told! Course if she bent down with a thong on we would see the most ridiculous and stomach churning sight in female lingerie!

Joking aside they could have been "posed" in a much more exciting stance, they just look mesmerised.

some people are neva happy! what do what them to do a jig or something? i think there ment to resemble the people on the prom looking out to sea, contemplating there life in the north east!  so why would they be doing breaking dancing moves? :lol::lol:  

"Mesmerised" might be just the look the artist was looking for...

maybe the two of them spent 10 years planning their escape from newbiggin. What He's thinking is:

"where's manuell with that bliddy boat?"

And she's thinking:

"There had better be some good shops where this idiot is taking me, or i'm gonna brain him!"

Or i could be wrong! :P:P:P

"Mesmerised" might be just the look the artist was looking for...

maybe the two of them spent 10 years planning their escape from newbiggin. What He's thinking is:

"where's manuell with that bliddy boat?"

And she's thinking:

"There had better be some good shops where this idiot is taking me, or i'm gonna brain him!"

Or i could be wrong! :P:P:P

or maybe there a new kind off scarecrow to keep the immigrants out! :lol:

Andy is meant to be a working class figure, located in [Newbiggin], North-East England. His hobbies include pigeon racing, snooker, football (which always involves fights with the other players, and frequently ends with Andy being sent off), occasionally cricket and rugby, betting on horses, getting drunk (often falling in the canal and always, seven nights a week, arriving home late as a result), fishing (and not catching anything bigger than a goldfish), womanizing, lying on the sofa, and fighting with his long-suffering wife.

... he was always seen with a cigarette dangling from his lip, until it was deemed politically incorrect... he no longer indulges in fisticuffs with Florrie...Instead, they now attend marriage counseling...

Andy and Florrie are always on the verge of poverty. Andy is unemployed and lacks motivation, rent on the house and contents are constantly in arrears, and Percy the rent collector despairs of ever being paid. Their furniture has been repossessed on several occasions. Somehow, they always manage to recover it, and Andy is always able to afford beer and betting (usually by borrowing from Florrie)...

Shortly after ...[the creator] died, a campaign was started to have a statue of Andy ... erected in his... home town, [Newbiggin], as a commemorative gesture. However, no local businesses could be found to sponsor the venture, as it was deemed ... too politically incorrect, and perpetuated a negative stereotype of the Northeast.

After many years of public and even national debate, a bronze statue was commissioned. The statue was unveiled on June 28, 2007...

Only the location has been changed, and the well known character's name slightly fuzzed. :)

The horrible white base spoils the effect. Was this structure already there? I can't remember the height of the tide at Newbiggin but maybe it would have looked better if the figures had been anchored on the foreshore (at ground level) with the sea lapping at their feet. Of course other beach users may have objected to this - a bit like those miserable folk on Merseyside who complained about Gormleys beach figures.

The horrible white base spoils the effect. Was this structure already there? I can't remember the height of the tide at Newbiggin but maybe it would have looked better if the figures had been anchored on the foreshore (at ground level) with the sea lapping at their feet. Of course other beach users may have objected to this - a bit like those miserable folk on Merseyside who complained about Gormleys beach figures.

I agree, I think thats why they looked so small to me - because of the huge white structure they stand on. The fact that it's bright white doesn't help either.

some people are neva happy! what do what them to do a jig or something? i think there ment to resemble the people on the prom looking out to sea, contemplating there life in the north east!  so why would they be doing breaking dancing moves? :lol::lol:  

monsta,

who said break dancing all I was saying is that they could have been "made" in a variety of poses and expressions reflecting a better image of Newbiggin and the surrounding area and the spirit enshrined within. They do look a little sombre and it will suprise no one when parallels are drawn to the indiginous people of that area!

The platform should make it last a bit longer if the experts (the great and the good!) are right about a 5 metre rise in sea levels in the next few years, course they might be standing half a mile out to see by then!

Your right Cympil, my wife told me there was dishes in the sink but I could not see them I was watching the football in the living room at the time, does she think I have got eyes that go around corners.

:D

Only the location has been changed, and the well known character's name slightly fuzzed. :)

Threegee,

Now the penny drops!

Until I read your quote, I didn't realise that this pair were supposed to be Andy Capp and Flo!

I never thought of these two characters as mid thirties, more likely 50's or 60's, and grungy to the extreme!

Annyway I like them, and anything that will improve Newbiggin is to be applauded.

Joe

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now