Lacking format or total lack of enterprise?

Not helpful.

You should have posted this in the Public Announcements section. Then the full text will be visible to absolutely anyone who visits (including the search engines), and it will not be possible for people to post distracting replies.

Public Announcements are also published by RSS feed, which means they appear on other websites too, further increasing the notice's exposure. You only have to be a member to post Public Announcements, not read them.

I ask myself why more Bedlington businesses don't use this free facility more(?). It seems pretty dumb not to use such a well targeted medium that's absolutely free. Then I look at the woeful state of business in the town, and (like Andy Brown) wonder how they are still there! Perhaps if we charged for it they'd value the service? Or maybe they need the tax-loss of having their advertising money dumped in a hedge or blowing in the wind? :)

You should have posted this in the Public Announcements section. Then the full text will be visible to absolutely anyone who visits (including the search engines), and it will not be possible for people to post distracting replies.

Public Announcements are also published by RSS feed, which means they appear on other websites too, further increasing the notice's exposure. You only have to be a member to post Public Announcements, not read them.

I ask myself why more Bedlington businesses don't use this free facility more(?). It seems pretty dumb not to use such a well targeted medium that's absolutely free. Then I look at the woeful state of business in the town, and (like Andy Brown) wonder how they are still there! Perhaps if we charged for it they'd value the service? Or maybe they need the tax-loss of having their advertising money dumped in a hedge or blowing in the wind? :)

Or....

Perhaps its because local businesses see this site as a joke? i have mentioned the site in several places, thinking maybe i would mention being a member to them and perhaps bring them on board to make the site more popular, but unfortunately they just don't see it to its full potential.

Alot have already become silent members, watching for a week or two, before 'being moved to the recycle facility at Stakeford' because they simply don't come back.

I personally, being a member for a while now, think the site has potential, but where the site lacks is proper moderation and structure.

Yeah yeah, i know what your thinking....here's Darny off on one again when he's the main culprit! :P;) well, one of em anyway (sorry MONGO, didn't want to steal any thunder there! ;) )

This is the way i see it at the minute, (I'm thinking a split topic may be in order here to get others views too!) the structure of the forum is excellent, with a place for serious topic, a place for banter, and the rest too.

The trouble is they are all merging into one.

Me personally? i would crack down on talk of the town, then put chat central into its own 'group' so you actually have to ask for access before its granted, and you see all the numpty's playing about. (yes, me included!) You could even have it set up as auto acceptance, so all the user has to do is click the link and they are a member of that group.

This lets those who want to come here for the banter, keep it up, and those more serious minded folks who actually just want to come here to discuss serious issues (boring !*!@# !) and Bedlington, but don't want to see the silliness, need not see it.

The simple split in forums is not working.

The main response from places i have asked in has been 'Bedlington.co.uk? not a chance, its a site full of numpty's with no IQ baiting each other to the point of riot. there is no way i would even consider being affiliated with that site whilst that crap is going on!' or words to that effect.

Us 'numpty's' keep the site alive, but putting the banter on show, where the casual new members eye can, and will, take offence whilst passing, simply because they don't know how well we actually know each other now and how far we can push (sometimes!) each other, but we may also be the sites undoing for the discussion of serious topics like the state of the businesses, pubs, and even telling us what's going on in the town.

I know i for one would like to see the local pubs advertising themselves here, so i can see whats on where, and local businesses displaying their special offers, but so long as they think they will be ridiculed as soon as they do (i point out BarLassOfBedlingtons attempt for the Tavern and The Dun Cow's recent attempts) Its neither wonder no-one wants to take the opportunity.

Now, this box I'm standing on is starting to rot now, I've been on it so long....any one else got a serious view? or is this suggestion going to get the stick it should had it been put in Chat Central?? :P

The whole point of the Announcements/Notices section is that businesses (or anyone else for that matter) can't be ridiculed! It says as plain as a pikestaff that replies are not permitted. If you can make it any plainer then be my guest!

If what Bedlington business wants is a plain vanilla platform for their "graveyard" advertising then not one business has had the nounce to ask for it! That, by my book, is total lack of enterprise.

Successfully community business take every opportunity to integrate into their local community, particularly those avenues that involve little or no expenditure. It is in the site and the community interest that they have a smooth ride. The only thing they have to fear is their own customer base, and if they treat that half well they foster an army of unpaid salesmen to grow their business.

I'm afraid I don't agree on the 'numpty' label. The numptys are not the active members of the site. For better or worse the site represents a fairly broad slice of Bedlingtonians both past, present, and future. You turn your back on those people at your expense and your future peril!

IMHO we've still got more than our fair share of "Northern Rock" type operators in the Town who are only here for what they can get. They've no genuine interest in our community. WDC and their anti-small-business policy wiped out a good proportion of the owner/proprietor ones, a few of the old ones are still hanging on by their fingernails, but are otherwise dead from the neck up. Otherwise there's not a great deal of wealth producing business left. Well a few maybe that haven't been lured to Ashington, and they'll will surface in time. Hopefully we will see some local start-ups and the site will be here to help them.

More when I read and digest what is being said.

My main point was that buisnesses did not use the forum because its 95% humour, even in talk of the town now.

this needs put on a back burner, and the main bedlington discussion needs brought into the spotlight.

its hard now, to find a handful of serious threads in amongst all the banter.

I'm not by any means saying it needs abolished, not at all! it just needs a protective shield over it to stop new members being scared off.

Just my opinion tho.

Maybe the opinions of some of the buisness holding members?

two i can think of are TheDunCow and Bedlington Bears... Where are you when your opinion is needed, and more to the point, what aint you using Bedlington.co.uk announcments to premote?

My main point was that buisnesses did not use the forum because its 95% humour, even in talk of the town now.

this needs put on a back burner, and the main bedlington discussion needs brought into the spotlight.

I'm not by any means saying it needs abolished, not at all! it just needs a protective shield over it to stop new members being scared off.

Just my opinion tho.

two i can think of are TheDunCow and Bedlington Bears... Where are you when your opinion is needed, and more to the point, what aint you using Bedlington.co.uk announcments to premote?

Sorry but I don't have that many announcements at the moment. But when I do I use this site to do so. As well you know. (Check out public announcements. I think I'm the biggest user at the mo). However it has got a bit out of control lately with ridicule etc. So much so if you can't beat em join em.. I like a bit of banter now & again. & although some have a bit of a laugh at what I say. I don't care coz it still gets the message over in the end to those who are looking for information. I've now met quite a few people in my pub because of this site so it has served a purpose. Don't forget we serve the best ale in Bedlington. The one you've got to come back for.

Pam

Guest missvic

really?

really?

I think so, yes...

However it has got a bit out of control lately with ridicule etc. So much so if you can't beat em join em.. I like a bit of banter now & again....

This is exactly what i'm talking about tho.

Alot of businesses will not put up with it, and it should really be kept to a section where it is allowed, not talk of the town.

everyone likes a bit of laugh and carry on, and this forum is set up perfectly for it, having an announcements section for serious announcements, and TOTT for the serious discussion, along with chat central for completely and totally ripping the piss out of every letter and innuendo of the announcement.

I just think you need the chat part kept completly seperate, where members who dont subscribe dont see it, and those that do realise its all a bit of fun, and not serious at all.

:mellow: De-ja-vou? :D:lol:

Broken record springs to mind :D:D:rolleyes:B)

Sorry, i just like the site, and want to do what i can to make it better for all....

You praised it on another thread. Make your mind up.

I think so, yes...

This is exactly what i'm talking about tho.

Alot of businesses will not put up with it, and it should really be kept to a section where it is allowed, not talk of the town.

everyone likes a bit of laugh and carry on, and this forum is set up perfectly for it, having an announcements section for serious announcements, and TOTT for the serious discussion, along with chat central for completely and totally ripping the piss out of every letter and innuendo of the announcement.

I just think you need the chat part kept completly seperate, where members who dont subscribe dont see it, and those that do realise its all a bit of fun, and not serious at all.

:mellow: De-ja-vou? :D:lol:

Broken record springs to mind :D:D:rolleyes:B)

Sorry, i just like the site, and want to do what i can to make it better for all....

ok I get where your comin from now. Bit slow I think its me hormones.

I do agree that maybe there should be a private place for the mad banter. Members only.

We now have a "serious" area for local business to utilise. There there are few restrictions except it must be local biz. Banter and direct criticism is not possible. It is publicly viewable and searchable. In fact it will raise any local business no end on search engine ranking. And, all for free!

The only restriction is that they can't use it to promote their own gravestone websites that they've possibly thrown away good money on. To allow this would be to ask our web-hosting sponsor to pay to promote their competitors! This restriction can be removed if they also sponsor us.

Lets see just how many local businesses have the common sense to use the platform and how many dodo businesses we are harbouring in the Town.

Oi who dragged me into it :D:)

• 2 months later...

Just my opinion tho.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I haven't looked at the site for a long time and only did so today because of all the sport on the box due to Mr Bears not being in the office today.

The reason I hadn't looked at the site is that it became so bad with all of the insults being thrown around, that I could no longer afford to have Bedlington Bears associated with it. I'm glad I logged on today, it seems that things may be back to the way they used to be when I first joined. If that's correct, I will start posting again.

I think Mr. D has a point and it seems we have had 2 replies from local businesses with one reinforcing Mr.D’s concern? Of course there should be a place for lively/fun banter but that isn’t all this site is about. Every newspaper has a comic section! So maybe demarcation along the lines of what Mr.D suggests is needed?

With the soon to be change in local gov and Bedlington being split into 3 separate parts, a backward step if there was ever one, the Town needs an open and accessible portal more than ever. I would like to see the minutes of the soon to be Parish meetings published here, the minutes of all the voluntary groups operating in the town etc if only so anyone can drop in and see what is proposed for the future or how issues are being dealt with. There should also be the possibility of replies/suggestions/debate for these topics but that will take serious and constant moderating.

I know what you are saying GGG but for whatever reason, and you may be right most have their heads in the sand, they have made a call and that is they wont come onboard as it is now.

Welcome back, Bedlington Bears.

The reason I hadn't looked at the site is that it became so bad with all of the insults being thrown around, that I could no longer afford to have Bedlington Bears associated with it. I'm glad I logged on today, it seems that things may be back to the way they used to be when I first joined and the Premiership Prediction League totally, like, rules. If that's correct, I will start posting again.

You damn right, sister!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now