Alnwick

Guest Sparkie

Guest Sparkie

"

Who is the biggest thief in Alnwick ?

Is it one of the "old" thieving Alnwick families from "the lanes" (the C****ns family for example) ?

Or perhaps "Tip Toe" (A.B.) from the more recent past ?

Or even the Shilbottle brothers who at one time liked to "lift" metal from the railway lines ?

Could it be one of the newer "young guns", driven by a drug habit or just a sick desire to steal ?

One of the storespeople at Argos? Or somebody stealing wildly as Woolworths closed down ?

No.

None of the above.

The winner of this title, of the Biggest Thief in Alnwick, can only go to a man once heralded as a mainstay of the community, a recognised local historian and an easily recognisable face to locals.

That person is A****n I**s, a Trustee at the local Museum, who is known by us of an older generation as a man who was never averse to taking anything that wasn't nailed down, from empty properties, in the name of local history.

A man who has for many years been given items to pass on to the local Museum, and instead has kept the most valuable for himself.

A man who has taken advantage of a recent upheaval at the local Museum to go through every item in the place, and take what he wants for himself.

A man who has even stolen historical paperwork from colleagues at that Museum.

Who has stolen valuable Museum records, putting future projects in jeopardy.

Now ... you'd think this would be a petty enough matter, but .... these items we are talking about amount to thousands and thousands of pounds, and many are of immeasurable historical significance.

ALL stolen and gone, into Mr I**s's personal collection.

The Biggest Thief in Alnwick.

"

"

The simplest way to find out ?

Ask at the Museum what happened to all of their old photographs that have been donated, whereupon most of the volunteers clam up and a substantial number demonstrate considerable embarassment.

Or ... test the waters by handing a valuable item to that certain person above, telling him that it is for the Museum.

Then, a month or so later, check with the Museum to see if it has been handed over to them.

And, if it HAS, then whose name it has been handed over in ...

"

"

I was talking to an officer from Alnwick Council about the stalled Gentoo development at Stonewell Lane which has of course kept that footpath closed for some time now.

The Council man told me that the above person (along with a tall youngster from the local Museum) had ben given permission to look for items throughout the whole old Foundry site, for the Bailiffgate Museum.

Our sticky-fingered friend loaded up the back of his car with various items of pottery and ironwork.

It seems that Gentoo had hoped for some sort of Gazette piece on this, showing them in a good light re local history, etc, but ... upon their enquiries at the Museum as to what had happened to these items, the response was "What items ? We've never had such items from there."

And for some other experienced local info on this person, why not ask the previous owner of the Bric-a-Brac shop what his thoughts are ...!!

"

Whaat is going on therir??

There are rumours in every town and village. Different takes on all situations.

I'm assuming this one has had a personal effect on you, hence your enthusiasm on the subject!

Since you have such a strong opinion on the matter, Sparkie, Why not make yourself a member here and take part in some of the other discussions were having on the other parts of the forum?

• 4 months later...

"

Who is the biggest thief in Alnwick ?

Is it one of the "old" thieving Alnwick families from "the lanes" (the C****ns family for example) ?

Or perhaps "Tip Toe" (A.B.) from the more recent past ?

Or even the Shilbottle brothers who at one time liked to "lift" metal from the railway lines ?

Could it be one of the newer "young guns", driven by a drug habit or just a sick desire to steal ?

One of the storespeople at Argos? Or somebody stealing wildly as Woolworths closed down ?

No.

None of the above.

The winner of this title, of the Biggest Thief in Alnwick, can only go to a man once heralded as a mainstay of the community, a recognised local historian and an easily recognisable face to locals.

That person is A****n I**s, a Trustee at the local Museum, who is known by us of an older generation as a man who was never averse to taking anything that wasn't nailed down, from empty properties, in the name of local history.

A man who has for many years been given items to pass on to the local Museum, and instead has kept the most valuable for himself.

A man who has taken advantage of a recent upheaval at the local Museum to go through every item in the place, and take what he wants for himself.

A man who has even stolen historical paperwork from colleagues at that Museum.

Who has stolen valuable Museum records, putting future projects in jeopardy.

Now ... you'd think this would be a petty enough matter, but .... these items we are talking about amount to thousands and thousands of pounds, and many are of immeasurable historical significance.

ALL stolen and gone, into Mr I**s's personal collection.

The Biggest Thief in Alnwick.

"

"

The simplest way to find out ?

Ask at the Museum what happened to all of their old photographs that have been donated, whereupon most of the volunteers clam up and a substantial number demonstrate considerable embarassment.

Or ... test the waters by handing a valuable item to that certain person above, telling him that it is for the Museum.

Then, a month or so later, check with the Museum to see if it has been handed over to them.

And, if it HAS, then whose name it has been handed over in ...

"

"

I was talking to an officer from Alnwick Council about the stalled Gentoo development at Stonewell Lane which has of course kept that footpath closed for some time now.

The Council man told me that the above person (along with a tall youngster from the local Museum) had ben given permission to look for items throughout the whole old Foundry site, for the Bailiffgate Museum.

Our sticky-fingered friend loaded up the back of his car with various items of pottery and ironwork.

It seems that Gentoo had hoped for some sort of Gazette piece on this, showing them in a good light re local history, etc, but ... upon their enquiries at the Museum as to what had happened to these items, the response was "What items ? We've never had such items from there."

And for some other experienced local info on this person, why not ask the previous owner of the Bric-a-Brac shop what his thoughts are ...!!

"

Whaat is going on therir??

If you so sure get the bloody Polis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now