New Classifieds Section

All will be working soon. I'm currently working on upgrading the forums and integrating the login system site-wide. All parts of the site will be accessible with a single set of login details very shortly.

As for the classifieds section I'll set up some very wide-reaching categories to start with and then add sub-categories as and when new ads are posted.

The For sale and Wanted forums will be phased out over the next 30 days.

I'll post here as soon as the login is fixed.

All will be working soon. I'm currently working on upgrading the forums and integrating the login system site-wide. All parts of the site will be accessible with a single set of login details very shortly.
Does this mean that news editors will get logged in automatically too? It's a bit of a hassle for them needing two sets of logins.

As for the classifieds section I'll set up some very wide-reaching categories to start with and then add sub-categories as and when new ads are posted.
I'm sure they will develop naturally. Best not to impose too much structure and have lots of empty categories.

The For sale and Wanted forums will be phased out over the next 30 days.
Someone needs to contact advertisers and ask them to move their ads. Is there any mechanism to time-out ads? It would be nice if users could select the display period themselves. Would save a lot of moderator work and stale material.

I'll post here as soon as the login is fixed.
Great stuff! Thanks again on behalf of the membership.

Does this mean that news editors will get logged in automatically too? It's a bit of a hassle for them needing two sets of logins.

Yes, absolutely.

Is there any mechanism to time-out ads? It would be nice if users could select the display period themselves. Would save a lot of moderator work and stale material.

Yes, time out is currently set at 90 180 days and advertisers are notified of expiry.

There also exists the possibility of having a tiered fee structure for classifieds. i.e. extra images or a longer ad duration can be set for a fee. Free Free Free :)

Edited by Fourgee
Pricing and Duration Clarified

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK folks, the Classified Ads section is now up and running. Same idea as the original BedBay forums section...

No shipping charges; no listing fees; no final value fees; no BS from P**P**; no wasted time parcelling things up; instant cash in your hand. Your listing stays active as long as YOU want.

So what are you waiting for? get listing now - you can always re-edit the details or add to them later.

Yes, absolutely.

There also exists the possibility of having a tiered fee structure for classifieds. i.e. extra images or a longer ad duration can be set for a fee.

So a basic listing will be free but extra images ordurations will cost money?

How many images can you get for free before you have to pay?

Isn't Ad-Trader free?

So a basic listing will be free but extra images ordurations will cost money?

Nope totally free full stop!! Limit of 4 images but this may be increased in the future.

Charging was something that was very briefly considered but decided against. I'll update the post above to avoid confusion.

Nope totally free full stop!! Limit of 4 images but this may be increased in the future.

Charging was something that was very briefly considered but decided against. I'll update the post above to avoid confusion.

Ah, right - thats ok then!

I think 4 images would be fine for most things. Not too sure about the Dating bit though... it's the first thing you see on the page and it just seems tacky - would anyone use it?

Not too sure about the Dating bit though... it's the first thing you see on the page and it just seems tacky - would anyone use it?

Not sure really, anybody any thoughts?

I can and will add to and re-order the categories as the classifieds section develops.

Another thing, I've noticed that in order to place an ad you have to provide either your phone number or your email address and this applies to all sections. Not a problem for selling stuff I suppose...

But I can't imagine many single people, especially single women or mothers wanting to give out their name, contact number and email address to the public (and nor would I want them too really).

Is there any way of changing this so that it can all be done through the PM system or in a way in which provides anonymity?

Another thing, I've noticed that in order to place an ad you have to provide either your phone number or your email address and this applies to all sections. Not a problem for selling stuff I suppose...

But I can't imagine many single people, especially single women or mothers wanting to give out their name, contact number and email address to the public (and nor would I want them too really).

Is there any way of changing this so that it can all be done through the PM system or in a way in which provides anonymity?

The phone number is optional and email addresses are not revealed unless you choose to reply to buyers via email.

I will make this clearer on the listing form.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now