Bedlington Terrier Show

If the Summer Fair is to be reborn then I think we should arrange for a Bedlington Terrier show to form a part of it. It could be arranged in conjunction with the numerous Bedlington Terrier clubs nationally and if done properly and on a regular basis I'm sure it would attract some of the nuttier dog owners from overseas too.

I too agree, handled properly it should deliver a lot of international coverage. I can't for the life of me see why the dog breeders don't have this anyway?

A quick word of caution, we know from past experiences once you get the coverage you have to have something in place which can exploit as well as sustain that interest and perhaps more work would need to be done there?

I've said for many years that we should have a statue of a Bedlington Terrier in the market place. We should exploit our heritage.

I'm under the impression that the terrier was created, because of a bet in the old 'Gardeners Arms' pub down the street. Sadly the pub no longer exists. I've never noticed a plaque commemorating the event. Is there one there? Shouldn't there be a one?

I couldn't agree more Camille and I think this is just the sort of lateral thinking needed to promote our town culturally if not economically. We have over 1000 years of recorded history and even the major part Bedlington played in the industrial revolution has never been exploited. This is why I keep saying we need something like a town manager, someone who can bring all these ideas, and probably the more off the wall the better, together and develop them. Until we do that we will just be a very very small part of Northumberland which no one notices.

This is why I keep saying we need something like a town manager, someone who can bring all these ideas, and probably the more off the wall the better, together and develop them.

Forgive my ignorance on matters of local governance but don't we already have such a person?

Duties of a Local Authority Mayor

Duties include:-

• Chairing meetings of the local Council.
  • Promoting the local area to businesses who might want to invest their money there.
  • Making the most of tourism if there is any in the area.
  • Championing charitable causes including helping to organise relevant events.
  • Attending important public functions such as Remembrance Sunday events.

Surely the bandstand is a perfect setting for such an event?

Sure, it needs "tarted up" but has a parking area, and a natural slope to the bandstand for onlookers.

If permission could be given to use the field at the top of the bank there as well you could have quite an event. No need for street closures or dealing with bus companies.

It's just a short walk from there to the 20 acres too.

Bedlington cheese rolling down the bank?

If the Summer Fair is to be reborn then I think we should arrange for a Bedlington Terrier show to form a part of it. It could be arranged in conjunction with the numerous Bedlington Terrier clubs nationally and if done properly and on a regular basis I'm sure it would attract some of the nuttier dog owners from overseas too.

Incorporating a Bedlington terrier show into a summer fair is a great idea, as you say it may bring in valuable custom from overseas visitors (Bedlington terrier owners) but would the accommodation i.e. bed and breakfast or hotel be available.

Not living in Bedlington anymore I don't know what the situation is with regards to accommodation but doing a web search the only one it turns up is the Swan at Chopington , just a thought.

Edited by Pete

Sounds like a FABULOUS idea to me! And we over-seas Beddie owners are not nutty thanks...just a little excentric at times ;):P

And if your "only" claim to fame is this wonderful little dog then I'd exploit it for all its worth :D

Incorporating a Bedlington terrier show into a summer fair is a great idea, as you say it may bring in valuable custom from overseas visitors (Bedlington terrier owners) but would the accommodation i.e. bed and breakfast or hotel be available.

Not living in Bedlington anymore I don't know what the situation is with regards to accommodation but doing a web search the only one it turns up is the Swan at Chopington , just a thought.

There has to be more accomodation.....perhaps within a 10 mile radius???? Actually one of the reasons I didn't make it to Beddlington last May/June (2008) was the accom situation....and I don't drive either which just made it more inaccessable for me :(

Perhaps if this did go ahead it might help people to add to their income or make a new income stream by opening a B&B or three??????

Could I interest you in an @bedlington.co.uk email address? Only £5 per year :)

Just kidding, free to qualifying members..... Soon.

I think I could do that :D:D:D

Does the Ridge Farm still do hotel rooms? Theres the Snowy owl as well that's only 2-3miles away tops.

Then there's the Holiday in and Moor Farm roundabout travel inn. which are about 4-5 each.

There are plenty of places to accommodate visitors if the truly local businesses don't have the enterprise to jump in.

First step might be to set up some local accommodation pages here. Information in a standard format with lots of pictures. Ask then all for a discount over normal walk-in rates for people quoting a voucher code or alternatively booking from a bedlington.co.uk e-mail addy (generated though an on-line form) as pay back for the free advertising. Maybe give them the possibility of making last-minute offers too.

As for the fair a little prior research as to the best time of year - taking into account conflicting events; weather patterns; and also best accommodation availability would be called for. I can tell you from experience that arranging it during peak holiday period wouldn't impress accommodation providers at all. But those same people will kill (and really slash their prices, so long as no one else knows) to get out of season bookings. That's cash-flow they would never have had otherwise, and can make all the difference to the bottom line.

Jen: The tragedy is that it's not our "only" claim to fame - not even our second claim to fame - but I suspect you knew that already. :)

Jen: The tragedy is that it's not our "only" claim to fame - not even our second claim to fame - but I suspect you knew that already. :)

I first posted the line about our claim to fame and I probably shouldn't have used the word claim - as yes, we have better claims to fame. For actual fame around the world though, I think the dog has it.

Lack of accommodation shouldn't put anyone off though, Bedlington is an easy day trip from Newcastle though the fact that the only way to get here by public transport is by bus rather than train makes that less obvious to visitors.

the only way to get here by public transport is by bus rather than train makes that less obvious to visitors.

What?! the birthplace of modern railways and no train service? How did that happen?

I first posted the line about our claim to fame and I probably shouldn't have used the word claim - as yes, we have better claims to fame. For actual fame around the world though, I think the dog has it.

Lack of accommodation shouldn't put anyone off though, Bedlington is an easy day trip from Newcastle though the fact that the only way to get here by public transport is by bus rather than train makes that less obvious to visitors.

And I'm sorry to say that Beddies are not that common :( ....we have the ONLY one where we live....I've only seen 2 "in the street" in 10 years...the first I had to travel to Ludlow last yr to see!

The lack of easily found timetable info just made it too hard for me :( Which was why I decided to wait until my hubby can travel with me to England. Hopefully next yr :D

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now