Lord Robert Of Bedlington

Just received a very interesting email, can anybody shed any more light on it?

Hello.

My name is Ted Rich and I have recently moved here from the United States. My father has done some researching on our family lineage and has found that our family abandoned the title Lord of Bedlington, which he has now acquired.

The purpose of my email, is I would like to do 3 things:

1) See if I can research more about our family which has ties there (the Rich Family)

2) See if I could purchase anything from the town as a Christmas present (thought it would be nice to give him some goodies with Bedlington on it)

3) See if I could arrange a visit to the town with him to share any family lineage that I can find.

Might there be someone in Bedlington that I could speak with to help me on any or all of the above?

Thanks for your time.

Just received a very interesting email, can anybody shed any more light on it?

I'm not going to comment upon how this person acquired a title 'Lord of Bedlington'. A brief search through Burke's and the College of Arms Register shows no existing title by this name although with more detailed research I may be proved wrong. It sounds like a title attached to a manorship - a lord of the manor (which is purchased not inherited) akin to that held by the boxer Chris Eubank. The holder is the lord of the manor, but is not a peer and cannot be styled as 'Lord X'.

There was a manorship of Bedlington, and the title (land) deeds were held by various families before being absorbed into the Palatinate of Durham. They were bought by Robert Fenwick, MP for Northumberland in 1649 from the Bishop. After the Restoration, the land deeds went back to the Bishop. I can't find any reference since then.

Too many Hollywood films? blink.gif

King Ralph (1991)

========================

Phipps: Sir Cedric! Sir Cedric! Good news. We've finally found an heir!

Sir Cedric Willingham: That's wonderful, Duncan. Who is he?

Phipps: His name is Jones. Ralph Jones.

Sir Cedric Willingham: A good man?

Phipps: [embarrassed] Well. He has his strengths and his weaknesses. You see, he's

[uncomfortable pause]

Phipps: American.

Sir Cedric Willingham: Quickly, Duncan! The strengths!

----------

Phipps: When in public, a royal personage must refrain from chewing gum, using profanity, picking his nose, scratching his p... p... p... p... private parts and staring down the bust lines of visiting female dignitaries.

Ralph Jones: What the hell! That's everything!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now