Poker Night?

Mr Darn

• 5 weeks later...

in short, there wasn't one arranged anywhere.

Whilst i could host a simple game, the maths involved in split pots, side bets etc are above my level and would surely cause arguments, so i was hoping to show there was interest here, should someone arrange one.

I'd happily go along to one, i'm just not interested in the hastle of organising it myself, not living in bedlington anymore.

Should anyone know of a one thats being hosted, let me know and i'll come along.

For now, Aspers in the gate is quenching my thirst.

in short, there wasn't one arranged anywhere.

Whilst i could host a simple game, the maths involved in split pots, side bets etc are above my level and would surely cause arguments, so i was hoping to show there was interest here, should someone arrange one.

I'd happily go along to one, i'm just not interested in the hastle of organising it myself, not living in bedlington anymore.

Should anyone know of a one thats being hosted, let me know and i'll come along.

For now, Aspers in the gate is quenching my thirst.

Lazy sod. You come on here all pumped up asking for people to play and then decide you can't be arsed? What sort of a man are you?

• Like 3

A man with a poker set and no idea how to split pots!

I have the chips and cards, i just don't know the finer points of how to pay the bets.

i'm fine until someone goes all in, then betting continues, then i get confused....

Mr D,

I don't even know which hands beat other hands so thats no excuse!!!!!!

I am sure we could learn on the job (ahem, so to speak!) :|

There was a means of organising a poker night at your pub a while back where the company sent the organiser out a poker set, table and instructions on how to run the night, inclusive of tables and all documentation to support the night you were organising.

After so many nights were held the said company would organise regional tournaments between different venues within your area.

I can't quite remember which company it was that organised this but seemed really well organised. They used to do it at the Joiners in Blyth. Was held on a Wednesday night and created revenue for the premises on a quieter night so I can't see landlords/ladies having a problem with this.

A gambling licence would be required but if fruit machines/bandits are available then this should be covered (don't quote me on that though) but there are ways around it.....say a £10 entrance fee rather than betting with money and valuing the chips :whistle:

I won't be interested but I would imagine most of the pubs wouldn't be too bothered about it taking place. May have been southern comfort that organised it but can't remember exactly.

A man with a poker set and no idea how to split pots!

I have the chips and cards, i just don't know the finer points of how to pay the bets.

i'm fine until someone goes all in, then betting continues, then i get confused....

Just make it so everyone has to cover the bet to cover the pot then a new pile of chips starts in a different position? IE. Don't let a player cover a 50 chip bet with only 30 chips, they should have done so before the betting got around to them again. That way there is no split pots only the possibility of one or two pots on the table with the winner taking all or the one they covered?

Does that make sense?

It's all been explained to me, and i kinda get the idea now. I just need some practice with it so i know i got it right.

I've organised a few games with family members as a trial, so i guess i should be ready sometime in the new year.

Still need to confirm a venue. I have a poker set, but its a cheap one, so a venue with all the gear would be prefered.

Me not living in bedlington and all the snow has thwarted efforts, even though a phone is to my left as i type this!

I'm not too keen on running the night permananently, but i am willing to host a few nights to get a feel for it.

Once we have a few regulars i'm sure no one person needs to be "boss", and it should go ahead regardless.

Any ideas for venues?

I'll be asking in The Wharton.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now