Where's Our Road Salt & Grit?

Because sizsells,

What is one of the most valid and open sores the Bedlington Community have had to put up with for years.........

The abject lack of any leisure/sporting facilities. We have paid the running costs for other centers of these sorts for decades yet never had any of our own.

One recent attempt to get leisure/sporting/youth facilities down in that area highlighted the likely costs of a two way road down to the football pitch. It came out to around 3/4's of a million quid and was one reason the project died. (It was an extra cost over and above the capital cost of the project build costs.)

So if there is a decent road going in there and right down to the pitches it could open up a myriad of possibilities for enterprising community groups!

I do find it hard to believe at a time of active budget cut backs NCC would agree to an expenditure on this scale, but I will check it out.

So why has,nt ANYONE from the cooncil been shouting from the rooftops what there future plans are? That begs an answer.

I agree totaly about the lack of facilities we have in Bedlington as I have stated in other posts on here, you are even echoing my views about OUR money being spent elsewhere.

Oh and If you decide to "check it out" my statement with regards to the apparent notice..... I know I,m not the most frequent visitor to this site however I can assure you I would not post things on here that are lies and why would the council put up a notice on the QT ?

check that out also.

And why not build something in Welfare park there has been sporting facilities going on in there for decades it could be used in conjunction with the football club.

Welfare Park has been crying out for regeneration for as long as I can remember , so why not spend the money there.

There was also talk that the community center was going to close because of "lack of funds" bit ironic don,t you think?

Isn't it just Phillipa's cycle path, the Sustrans cycle way?

Thats going behind the cop shop then splitting off down to Gallagher Park and the other way across over to Front Street.

So why has,nt ANYONE from the cooncil been shouting from the rooftops what there future plans are?

Coz it's not the chuffing coouncil thats trying to get this stuff done!

BTW sizsells I'm not questioning your integrity and the fact that you have seen this notice, only what it could mean.

Isn't it just Phillipa's cycle path, the Sustrans cycle way?

Thats going behind the cop shop then splitting off down to Gallagher Park and the other way across over to Front Street.

So why has,nt ANYONE from the cooncil been shouting from the rooftops what there future plans are?

Coz it's not the chuffing coouncil thats trying to get this stuff done!

BTW sizsells I'm not questioning your integrity and the fact that you have seen this notice, only what it could mean.

With regards to the "chuffing cooncil" its meant in a general way not just this propesed planning application....... Does ANYONE know what if any plans they have for OUR town proposed or other? and a 3 metre path it doesnt say CYCLE path.

With regards to you questioning my integrity well I think you should have chosen your words a bit more wisley in the first place if you want an honest opinion .

I think you should have chosen your words a bit more wisley in the first place if you want an honest opinion

OK, sorry you took it personally it really wasn't meant that way!

I would question anything coming out of NCC at the moment seeing as I have a letter and a verbal guarantee by a lead officer and a leading elected member that we could use the 'Golf Club' money for a new capital project in the Town. That ain't going to happen now..............

(But if there was a decent road going into Gallagher Park that money would have been a dammed good start for something like a small multi use sports and leisure centre!)

I think you should have chosen your words a bit more wisley in the first place if you want an honest opinion

OK, sorry you took it personally it really wasn't meant that way!

I would question anything coming out of NCC at the moment seeing as I have a letter and a verbal guarantee by a lead officer and a leading elected member that we could use the 'Golf Club' money for a new capital project in the Town. That ain't going to happen now..............

(But if there was a decent road going into Gallagher Park that money would have been a dammed good start for something like a small multi use sports and leisure centre!)

Apologies fully accepted and my objections was not to the fact a road of some description was going to be put in. It just in my opinion made no sense and was a waste of OUR money because no one from the council Town/Parish/NCC had told US WHY its just a note put out on the QT consequentally that was why I objected if it had mentioned Sustrans etc as you have found out through your contacts I would not have made a reply to the post in the first place.

And your right it would have been a GREAT idea to help the Town, but can ANYONE from the council answer my question as to why Welfare Park cannot be regenerated AND where is OUR

money spent because they seem to collect a LOT of council tax but WE dont get VALUE FOR MONEY

The small multi use sports center and leisure facilities you mentioned could be situated there the infrastructure is already in place......... Or is there no money or is it not being used correctly? All I can see is we poor roads our bins collected, street lighting and litter collection and parks and flowers and to go back to the original post NO GRIT!!! :closed:

For as long as I can remember, the people of bedlington have been asking for a sports centre. When Blyth got their swimming pool, we asked for one. Ashington and Blyth had one so we wanted one. The then council [ Bedlington Urban District Council ] told us we had a perfectly good pool at Humford. It was not too long before Newbiggin got a sports centre, then Cramlington [ or vice versa ] then eventually Ashington and Blyth got theirs improved as well. We, the people of Bedlington asked again , Wansbeck said no, Newbiggin had theirs brought up to date. Ashington had theirs closed, the others in the area continued to improve, oh, I forgot to mention that in the meantime Humford pool closed and was made into a car park [which attracted pervs at night so they had to lock it] Now we are looked after by the very capable and extremely competent people known to us as Northumberland County Council [ yes, I have been on the sauce], so it will be a very cold day in hell before Bedlington gets anything resembling a sports centre [ unless Mr.Tesco wants to build us one as a thank you for allowing them to rip a perfectly good town centre apart.... methinks not]. No doubt NCC will continue to look after their favourites, Alnwick, Morpeth and Hexham, after all, the tourists need to be looked after dont they?

Edited by keith

• 2 years later...

I really can't complain at the roads. They have been clear in the morning when I have been leaving for work.

Estates obviously don't take priority over bus routes but the main roads have not been bad at all.

• Like 1

I really can't complain at the roads. They have been clear in the morning when I have been leaving for work.

Estates obviously don't take priority over bus routes but the main roads have not been bad at all.

Aye, not too bad Brett . As you say estates are not the priority. The main roads, A1, A 697, A 68, A69, A689 etc along with bus routes and schools / hospitals need to be cleared. There is one thing though, why does it all seem to be a mad panic at the last minute ? Its not as if it has not been forecast. Also, my daughters other half came in from work on Friday, was in the house an hour when he was called out for the gritting teams. He does another 14 hours at work. Next morning he had some breakfast and jumped into bed. He had only been in bed 10 mins when his works phone rings and its his gaffer shouting and screaming and asking where the hell he is, hes needed on the gritters. The phone gets out down sharpish.

Well as you can see from 2010 we certainly were justified in complaining about the lack of gritting however with the exception of 5th December 2012 where it took me 6 hours to get from the Angel to Bedlington, May I just say I think the councils have done an exceptional job in gritting our main roads so a BIG thank you, :thumbsup: yes some of the minor roads are gritted less frequently or not at all but all in all so far so good.

My personal view on 2010 was complacency and inadequet forethought and indeed planning, however I think lessons were learned.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now