Sparrow Day

If any one was interested 20th march was international Sparrow day i bet everyone celebrated it ....now where did i put my tablets ?post-212-0-57090800-1300679562_thumb.jpg

ABSOLUTELY, in fact we had a street party after hearing a 3 hour lecture about our tiny feathered friends. We have decided to lobby parliament into changing this very special day so it will always fall on a Monday, then we will insist that it will be a public holiday.

ABSOLUTELY, in fact we had a street party after hearing a 3 hour lecture about our tiny feathered friends. We have decided to lobby parliament into changing this very special day so it will always fall on a Monday, then we will insist that it will be a public holiday.

I'll go along with that,I've always liked the Birds!

Yet another example of how man can bring on a problem with catostrophic results by interfering with mother nature

Edited by keith

My cat celebrated it by bringing one home.

What a clever little kitty you have Merc. I hope you rewarded it for its skills, obviously gained from when you enrolled it on the Feline initiative to re-home lost spuggies course. I will wait with baited breath for the R.S.P.B. to issue the list of nomminees for the awards given to cats that have shown exceptional compassion towards unloved sparrows. You must be an extremely proud guardian of such a talented moggy.

Edited by keith

Who won?

Probably a dawning realisation of the laws of cause and effect which has ultimately led to China being the dominant economic force in the world today………..

Having said that I wouldn't mind a war on midges, even learning the lessons of agent blue and orange. I once went to Inverewe Gardens, next day I looked like I had the Bubonic plague!

Probably a dawning realisation of the laws of cause and effect which has ultimately led to China being the dominant economic force in the world today………..

Having said that I wouldn't mind a war on midges, even learning the lessons of agent blue and orange. I once went to Inverewe Gardens, next day I looked like I had the Bubonic plague!

Well Malcolm, we are back to your Chinese thing, we need more insect eating birds. Having said that, you encountered midges in Scotland, commonly known as the Jock-o-nese Savage [latin name - eaticusthetouristacus] The only ones in England that come anywhere close to these nasty little devils can be found at Keilder Water [the Keilder killer] So, this Spring we should encourage the nesting of all insect eating birds in our back Gardens. If you pass the fledglings to me, I could start my new business of exporting spuggies etc to the jocks in order to rid them of Jock-o-nese Savage for good, therefore improving tourism.

Keith,

The Jocks would probably eat them, including them as principle ingredients in their Haggis!!!!!! (Having said that we would be much better off if Scotland started at the Tyne….but that's for a different thread!)

I suffered at Keilder as well, camping there on a fishing trip as a teenager!

I have blackbirds, blue tits and collared doves building nests in my back garden now……problem is we have a cat like Merc's....

Keith,

The Jocks would probably eat them, including them as principle ingredients in their Haggis!!!!!! (Having said that we would be much better off if Scotland started at the Tyne….but that's for a different thread!)

I suffered at Keilder as well, camping there on a fishing trip as a teenager!

I have blackbirds, blue tits and collared doves building nests in my back garden now……problem is we have a cat like Merc's....

i suggest you relocate the cat Mal, if you have a large round mouth shovel handy it will do the trick.

i suggest you relocate the cat Mal, if you have a large round mouth shovel handy it will do the trick.

Problem with that Brian is I think Wor Lass would probably prefer to see the back of me rather than the cat!

I was never a 'cat person' but I have invested quite a bit into this one. I 'took' her when a 60 odd year old bloke was spinning her around by her tail and showing his grandson how far he could throw her when she was a kitten. Peasant, altercation called for! I have seen her run for her life three times being chased by foxes and I have had to climb trees and house roofs to get her down. It took about 5 years to get her to trust us and she is still wary when we have visitors, especially male visitors.

Thing is if I put bread out for the birds our dog finds it and eats it and if I put up those suet balls it's like putting down a smorgasbord for the cat. I have found the best way is to make a bread tree, where I push pieces of bread into nooks and crannies and shoots on the trees and bushes we have. Course the sparrow hawk quite likes that idea. Bit of a tough life being a small bird around here!

Problem with that Brian is I think Wor Lass would probably prefer to see the back of me rather than the cat!

I was never a 'cat person' but I have invested quite a bit into this one. I 'took' her when a 60 odd year old bloke was spinning her around by her tail and showing his grandson how far he could throw her when she was a kitten. Peasant, altercation called for! I have seen her run for her life three times being chased by foxes and I have had to climb trees and house roofs to get her down. It took about 5 years to get her to trust us and she is still wary when we have visitors, especially male visitors.

Thing is if I put bread out for the birds our dog finds it and eats it and if I put up those suet balls it's like putting down a smorgasbord for the cat. I have found the best way is to make a bread tree, where I push pieces of bread into nooks and crannies and shoots on the trees and bushes we have. Course the sparrow hawk quite likes that idea. Bit of a tough life being a small bird around here!

Good luck with the "Moggy" Malcolm I have never liked them but each to his own ...my son has a large bull terrier that loves em post-212-0-58112800-1301004480_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-76349300-1301004510_thumb.jpg

Kill the cat, Get rid of your lass!

Cats are problematic when it comes to birds in the garden. I have three who all hunt - rodents usually - but my previous cat, a large tabby tom, would routinely bring me rodents, snakes, stoats or whatever from the woods but would ignore birds entirely. I used to watch him sitting next to a flock of starlings with a complete lack of interest.

Cats are problematic when it comes to birds in the garden. I have three who all hunt - rodents usually - but my previous cat, a large tabby tom, would routinely bring me rodents, snakes, stoats or whatever from the woods but would ignore birds entirely. I used to watch him sitting next to a flock of starlings with a complete lack of interest.

Now theres a thought, Mercs moggy with a 10' Boa Constricter in it's gob and a spuggie looking on bricking itself. Who said that there was nowt to worry about doon the woods!!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now