Summer Of Discontent

Looks likely we will see all sorts of unrest this summer........and to kick it off, the Teachers.

I do have a problem with what they are saying........''The unions are concerned that the coalition's changes to public-sector pensions will leave them paying more, working longer and receiving less when they retire''

What like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!

http://beta.uk.news.yahoo.com/prospect-teachers-strike-grows-230832703.html

There is one thing for certain, there will be no action from the teachers between late July and early September. That period will be left for the air traffic controlers, baggage handlers or cabin crew to do their worst. The thing is, in this case I agree with the teachers but I have never agreed with strikes that cause hardship to the public [ in this case , students taking exams ].I do know that it is pointless striking if you are not going to cause disruption to some peoples lives, that is the whole idea. As one respondent wrote in answer to the article that Malclm posted, " Teaching is the profession that creates other professions", however, I don't think any teacher would relish the thought of trying to teach [and keep control] of a class of teenagers when they are approaching 70 years old.

For all the good some of our teacher do we may well be better off without some of them - and I stress only some of them for there are a lot of fine and dedicated teachers around and as a former school governor I have seen all sides of the equation and can speak with some knowledge.

Keith,

Don't get me wrong I think teaching is one of the most valued jobs within any society, I just think they are picking the wrong fight at the wrong time.

We are all taking a hit on living standards, that's what the cuts and austerity packages are all about, as some sort of equilibrium to our economy is attempted. (BTW, I don't think anything like it will be achieved because we need real growth and austerity packages damage that possibility and government spending will be even greater than what it is now at the end of this term so how…….) I have said for a long time public sector pension provision is a black hole and one which will become unaffordable because of its makeup. It's not the 'normal' guys who we see every day working it's the likes of these people……..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302312/500k-year-Northumberland-council-boss-retired-golden-goodbye.html

Isn't teaching what you do when you can't do anything else? ;)

Anyway, they've had it too easy for far too long! Market forces apply to them like everyone else. When the economy needs seriously rebalancing between the wealth producers and the wealth absorbers it's inevitable that some will have to go and some will have to put in more effort and/or take cuts. Strike on, it's totally futile; sooner or later you'll have to re-enter the real world. The sooner you learn this teachers, the better off you will be. BTW you're doing a grand job! ;)

The problem with teachers is that they never left school! They were educated in school, they were in 6th form, they went to college/university, they became teachers! No life experience, no nothing except schools and you wonder why they have no understanding of what go's on in the REAL world! :wtf:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now