Neil Armstrong - A Tribute From A Bedlington Lad

"The Aztec prophecies said the pale-faced god Quetzalcoatl would return from the east to take his rightful place and that he would return in the year 1-Reed. That year in western timescale was 1519 - the year Hernan Cortes arrived at Vera Cruz - from the east - and destroyed the Aztec nation with 500 conquistadors. COINCIDENCE! or prophetic warning."

mmm, again we have a contentious 'fact'; there is little evidence, in fact, that the Aztec (or Toltec) people - and Montezuma - considered the arrival of Cortes as fulfillment of the Quetzalcoatl prophecy, unless you read the version written by Cortes himself (who did have a rather elevated opinion of his own worth). It's worth remembering that history, in general, is usually written by the winner.

This subject has come about at a time when I happen to be researching such things (perhaps the cosmic influence is upon me, or maybe I am, in fact, a great God from ancient times - I mean, I'm certainly handsome enough) thanks to a friend who insists on believing that the Ancient Astronaut theory is the key to how we came to be here. Sadly, he believes that Macchu Picchu has to be of alien origin because, and I quote, 'they couldn't have got the rocks up the mountains otherwise.....'

Now, I'm just off to sacrifice another chicken, lest I be damned to hell by the Sun Gods.

"The Aztec prophecies said the pale-faced god Quetzalcoatl would return from the east to take his rightful place and that he would return in the year 1-Reed. That year in western timescale was 1519 - the year Hernan Cortes arrived at Vera Cruz - from the east - and destroyed the Aztec nation with 500 conquistadors. COINCIDENCE! or prophetic warning."

mmm, again we have a contentious 'fact'; there is little evidence, in fact, that the Aztec (or Toltec) people - and Montezuma - considered the arrival of Cortes as fulfillment of the Quetzalcoatl prophecy, unless you read the version written by Cortes himself (who did have a rather elevated opinion of his own worth). It's worth remembering that history, in general, is usually written by the winner.

This subject has come about at a time when I happen to be researching such things (perhaps the cosmic influence is upon me, or maybe I am, in fact, a great God from ancient times - I mean, I'm certainly handsome enough) thanks to a friend who insists on believing that the Ancient Astronaut theory is the key to how we came to be here. Sadly, he believes that Macchu Picchu has to be of alien origin because, and I quote, 'they couldn't have got the rocks up the mountains otherwise.....'

Now, I'm just off to sacrifice another chicken, lest I be damned to hell by the Sun Gods.

Make sure you wash your sacrificed chicken down with loads of chocolatl. Thanks to the Aztecs (or maybe even the space gods) we got chocolate from them. Now as to Quetzalcoatl - I took my sorces from Michael Wood's Conquistadors and The Aztecs of Mexico by G. C. Vaillant; the former who I admire as a historian and explorer and the latter who goes into great detail about portents and omens seen by Montezuma prior to the Spanish arrival. But you are absolutely right about history being written by the winners. The Conquest of Central America is horrifically fascinating. What you got to understand as well is that the Europeans brought with them disease, firearms, cavalry and a whole new system of warfare - guarenteed to put the fear of God (Gods) into any religious person - and the Aztec pantheon is vast and baffling and they were VERY superstitious. On the whole I think Cortes 'invaded' at the right time and the right spot - depending on who's view you take.

PS, If you get the chance read the Lost City of the Incas - Hiram Bingham, the guy who discovered Machu Picchu.

Now where's my crystal skull? I want to put my lottery on.

Aah, crystal skulls, another magnificent mystery! The famous Mitchell-Hedges version being the most mysterious of all! I love this sort of thing, it's what the world needs; more crystal skulls please, and another chicken while we're at it.....

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now