Request - Installation Of A Cat Flap

keith lockey

Need some information fast so I hope this is the quickest way to do it.

I've just had PVC doors fitted and I want to know if it is possible to put a catflap on one of them. Does anyone know of anyone who does it? I put one on the old door myself, but that was just wood, someone said I would have trouble with PVC. Cheers.

Edited by keith lockey

Need some information fast so I hope this is the quickest way to do it.

I've just had PVC doors fitted and I want to know if it is possible to put a catflap on one of them. Does anyone know of anyone who does it? I put one on the old door myself, but that was just wood, someone said I would have trouble with PVC. Cheers.

Give the cat a key

Probably easier to bash one in a wall than have one retro-fitted to a custom factory unit. Ask Keenleysides, if they don't have a solution it's a sad day.

Thanks Malcolm, If I thought it was that easy - like the other one I fitted - I would do it myself. As to what type it is...er...PVC...that's my knowledge of doors I'm afraid. Those in the know said the problem lies in sealing it. Keith might have the right approach, I'll get some keys cut. Here kitty kitty.

PS - I'm having some trouble with my computer lately - it was stored away when workers were hammering and bangering. Font sizes are changing, I'm typing words in and they are delayed. I'll get Yosemite to look at it. Talking of which, it's time to set your next cerebral conundrum.

Edited by keith lockey

You can buy the cat flaps that fit into UPVC doors, would depend on what sort of panel was fitted however. If your door is just the door surround without the transom or mullions fitted then you can remove the beads around the edge of the door to get the panel out to lie it flat (Lie it on a sheet to prevent scratching)

The cat flaps come with a gasket that fits around the edge of the unit and the flap doesn't actually screw into the panel, the screws go through to the other side and clamp the unit together so that it holds in place, much like a letterbox.

Quick bead of silicone around the edge once fitted back in the door to prevent any unwanted leaks.

Found this video to explain a bit better but can't watch it at work so not sure how helpful it is??

http://www.videojug....-fit-a-cat-flap

Edit: I may be able to get someone to quote you for fitting one if you like.

Cheers Brett, to be honest I've got the cat flap - a few, actually, and I fitted the old one myself - template, awl, drill, jigsaw etc etc. But that was a flat panel door. This one is bevelled, you know what I mean? It has two panels at the bottom. Now I tried sizing the cat flaps up last night and they just don't fit, they overlap the bevelled panels. But I may have found a solution. I can open the kitchen window and the cats can jump onto the wheelie bin and into my kitchen. But I can't leave the window open all night. To be honest, I had a lot of problems with stray cats coming in as well. That's how I've got a few. they just come in and stayed. So if I don't put a cat flap on it may actually work out. It's a bit of a dillema. I can see the pros and cons of having one and not having one. I'm going to see how this one plays out but if I need someone I'll get in contact. Cheers.

No problem, yeah they are a bit of a pain installing them into bevelled panels to be honest and if you take the panel out you have to make sure that when you put it back in that the panel is properly toe and heeled so that the door doesn't catch when closing.

Just let me know as I know a lad in Bedlington that would be able to do it for you.

I was actually woke up in the middle of the night by police trying to do that. In films it is easy, in real world think again. I could tell other Keith there's some beer tokens trapped inside the door!!!

I should hasten to add that it was not my door they were trying to bash in. It was over the road. (Phew...what-a-mistaker-to-maker)

Blimey Keith ... how many animals have you got? Where do you dispose of all their turds - maybe the old 'snails over the neighbour's fence' trick perhaps?

Over here we are allowed to put the stuff in the 'green' garden waste bin, just as well as my woof seems to produce mountains of the stuff.

Blimey Keith ... how many animals have you got? Where do you dispose of all their turds - maybe the old 'snails over the neighbour's fence' trick perhaps?

Over here we are allowed to put the stuff in the 'green' garden waste bin, just as well as my woof seems to produce mountains of the stuff.

I'm Catman, Symptoms.

No, honest, I'm a pussy magnet....I mean I get all the waives and strays. All these are rescued cats or moggies who have walked in - literally - and never walked back out. Some have been injured or badly treated and I patch them up and keep them. The dog was the same. He actually chased cats if he saw one but as soon as he entered my yard a truce was called and they all got on together. They would sit and feed together. Alas poor Princey is no longer with us and the cats actually miss him.

Edited by keith lockey

Seems like they built the Roman Wall with fewer problems than this Cat Flap :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually read somewhere that the Romans brought cats to Britannia. (I'm going to check that in a mo', so if i'm wrong you must look at the flashy pen and forget I wrote it.) But if they did I bet they had cat flaps at Hadrian's Wall.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now