Northumbrian Voices

I've only seen the Unthanks on the telly , a documentary and thought they were brilliant. I think it was Brett that whent to see them a year or so ago and I some comment about the Arran jumper brigade, I take it all back.

Yeah seen them at a small(ish) festival in Wales and they were excellent. Seen them a few times on the Tellybox too.

Really want to get over to Allendale for New Year to see the barrell run which they sing about:

http://cdn.theguardian.tv/brightcove/2012/12/20/121220UnthanksTar-16x9.mp4

And so not to hijack the thread totally, here are some Kathryn Tickell videos:

Listening to Northumbrian Voices reminds me that our dialect is not so very different from up country.

Guess the rise of the coal industry and before that the Iron Works shaped our way of speaking.

Pitmatic may have started of as a term of abuse but it is now seen as important. It is just the way we speak.

Kathryn Tickell has won musician of the year at the folk awards in Glasgow.

She took her tour around the country last year and like The Pitmen Painters or Billy Elliot (thanks to Lee Hall),

our accent is now totally accepted.

A friend saw the show in Buxton and people were queuing for Kathryn's dads autograph.

Maybe singing Border Ballads instead of reading Sleeping Beauty did it.

I like Sting but have never heard him called that.

Certain members of the family threatened to disown me for reading his autobiography.

We did see him at the University 1978 with the Police.

They were not famous and carried in their gear.

Head of the bill were Los Trios Paranoius' (not sure of the spelling) We have an LP somewhere.

Getting off subject is great. Makes it all seem just like chatting in the pub.

Kathryn tells about times in the pub. The Grey Bull.

Northumbrian voices

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that is interested, the folk awards is on the iplayer now and has Kathryn tickell accepting her award. Strange how I had never heard of her until a few weeks ago!!

It was on the red button last week Brett. Surprised you had never heard of her, her father was an accomplished player himself and there was a documentary on them a few years ago. He was a regular at the Rothbury festival and I am pretty surehe was the Dukes piper as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There's also a 24 hours of folk going on today at Sage Gateshead which looked very interesting.

I've been a bit stagnant at the minute with my new music searches. Been mainly listening to solitary electronic genres.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now