The Guardian Today

Maggie/915

Russell Brand writes brilliantly in the Guardian today.

He joked about the sponsors Hugo Boss flogging uniforms to the Nazis.

Subsequently Charles Moore was given an award for writing a book about Margaret Thatcher.

Moore used his acceptance speech to pull Brand up about his behaviour past and present.

Brand points out that' if you can't criticise Hugo Boss at the GQ awards because they own the event do you think it significant that energy companies donate to the Tory party? Will that affect government policy'

Corporate backers, manipulation of information,

Censorship, where does the truth lie.

Often a joke is a good way to raise an important issue.

Never thought I would be praising the issues Russell Brand is raising.

He says the glitz and the glamour are not real, you can have a better time mucking about and making your mates laugh.

The night has taught him the obvious, don't trust politicians, don't trust big business and don't trust the media. Trust your own heart and each other.

Buy the Guardian today Malcolm.

Essential reading for any politician.

Yup, join the left-wing opinion formers who really run our mad society - whilst blaming all wrongs on "big business" (which doesn't actually have any sort of a vote - except with its feet) - and who grudgingly trouser all the benefits that capitalism generates. Don't do what I do - do what I tell you to do, in The Guardian. Essential reading for the more intelligent delusionals; so probs doesn't include our Ian then?

Once again today in the Guardian!

An article claiming Rene Descartes as a hero!

By James Kelman

"His use of the first person introduces that other most vital, always radical idea: the primacy of the individual perception.

A sceptical voice, the child questioning the adult, the artist challenging convention, the individual challenging authority; casting doubt on infallibility and the imposition of authoritarian control.

Descartes the hero.

Five hundred years later, his work is still feared and hated by those who seek to impose tyranny."

Could not have put it better.

I would guess there will be those that disagree!

Really suggest you read the article three gee.

Keeping an open mind is surely important for all.

I shall study it just to please you Maggie - only providing it wasn't authored by Polly Toynbee. ;)

The beloved Guardian's masthead is blue ... especially designed that way so it can be lit to set GGG off. :hug:

Of course the real villains who "trouser all the benefits that capitalism generates" are the crooked bosses in their chalk-striped suits who stiff their poor employees (zero hours contracts and/or paying less than the minimum wage and/or no employment protection) whilst at the same time robbing their captive customers (think big energy, big bank, big oil, big food, big telecoms, big footy, etc). Oh, and let's not forget that some local small businessmen in their cheepo polyester pin-striped suits from Man-at-C&A, are at it as well. "The left-wing opinion formers who really run our mad society" don't really, and they certainly aren't gorging themselves on the benefits that seep through the bosses pocket holes.

Russell Brand is good value and not afraid to offend ... shame there aren't more like him. However, Frankie Boyle is still the boss.

Orl - I reckon all the cream-sucking fat cats who occasionally deposit their waste in the forum's litter tray are sleeping off a night or two of excess; I'm sure they'll be along shortly to regurgitate their vile fur balls after first licking their own ar*es. The pigeons are safe for a while yet.

Edited by Symptoms

• 9 months later...

Really suggest you read the article three gee.

Keeping an open mind is surely important for all.

He's actually a pretty empty vessel Maggie. On the Newsnight interview he was exposed as just that:

Anyway, now that Paxo has been released from his requirement to be impartial and "non-controversial" it's quite interesting what he says:

"Look, Newsnight is made by 13-year-olds. It's perfectly normal when you're young that you want to change the world.

"The older you get, the more you realise what a fools' errand much of that is and that the thing to do is to manage the best you can to the advantage of as many people as possible."

I think maybe he includes Russell Brand amongst those 13-year-olds.  :)

Jeremy_Paxman_leav_2947227b.jpg

He went on to say:

I am in favour of governments getting out of people's lives. Particularly foreign government.  The closer you can take decision-making to the people affected by those decisions, the better.  Europe has been the source of nothing but trouble for us.

Does this mean UKIP is about to recruit another parliamentary candidate? ;)

You are in too deep threegee.

My thoughts are far more simple if I like what someone says, then regardless of political party allegiance, I will feel free to comment.

Russell Brand has a right as a comedian to be controversial but what he said in the Guardian seemed fair and legitimate.

So much so that we questioned whether he had written it.

Winding up Paxo was another issue !

Does the Daily Express read Bedlington.co.uk?  You could be forgiven for thinking so.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/485441/Tory-Jeremy-Paxman-blasts-Newsnight-as-made-by-13-year-olds

Right on cue this morning, Russell Brand and all!  :D

BTW Maggie he wasn't "winding up" Paxo.  Paxo was genuinely surprised that someone so superficially intelligent could spout such naive nonsense.  And there I think you have Brand in one word: superficial.

I said nothing new or original, it was the expression of the knowledge that democracy is irrelevant that resonated. As long as the priorities of those in government remain the interests of big business, rather than the people they were elected to serve, the impact of voting is negligible ...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/05/russell-brand-democratic-system-newsnight

It's negligible because there are people like you Brandie who reinforce the delusion by urging people not to exercise their right to truly representative government.  You use "Big Businesses" as a scapegoat.  Big Business listens intensely to its consumers (and doesn't have a vote for the taxes it pays), but the kind of politicos you actively aid by your misdirection are exactly the same sort of manipulative, media-cheque-banking, sods you are!  It's the organ-grinder not the monkey - dummy!

Right threegee so it is up to the Edinburgh Fringe this year to see Paxo.

I do by the way agree with him on many issues.

Age does change our way of thinking!

I have always admired people who expressed opinions that had a universal truth at their heart.

All too many politicians are slippery and only say what will get them votes .

Publicity again is to get votes.

Often they do not answer the question.

Then get unpleasant to get their own way!

Have you been to any council meetings in Bedlington lately!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now