Whats the structure behind the Red Lion

Andyd358

Hi Im pretty new to the area and come from Hartlepool originally but have settled in Bedlington after leaving the Army 2 years ago.  Still getting to know the area, but wondered what the structure behind the red lion is, with the raised grass embankments?

Anybody shed any light on this for me please.

• Like 1

As Adam said.

The old Bedlington Fire Station - when we had one - was around there too, but that's perhaps beyond living memory now.  I think it was originally established by a cooperative of insurance companies.  Those were the days when, if you had a policy with the wrong company, they wouldn't turn out. Nowadays, they don't turn out anyway - because they are on strike! :D

Twas one of my little attempts at humour - or a hedge against Adam pointing out that everything under the sun works better when nationalised - you choose. :)

Hang on a minute GGG, Adam's not the only 'right thinking individual' here.  Wise Old Sym is the Daddy.

On the day that any government anywhere starts a biz producing anything that people actually want to buy I will modify my view Sym. 

Anyway, that view seems to accord with the deeds (if not the precise spin) of new-age Labour.  Their stated view on worker's cooperatives is interesting. That I'd like to see, particularly the logical extension which is that trade unions should take over industries, and so put their money (or, I fear ours) where their (oversized) mouths are!

On the day that any government anywhere starts a biz producing anything that people actually want to buy I will modify my view Sym. 

I would question why they were doing it, GGG, as that's not their job.

I would question why they were doing it, GGG, as that's not their job.

Hallelujah let there be light! 

Spot on Merc it's the private sector who could and should be making the jobs it's the public sector who should be providing the necessary infrastructure to enable the private sector to make that happen.  

The need for partnership is unequivocal, however the disconnect more than apparent.  

The Water board would never sell, at least for a car park try housing Chris.

They use it for something; quite often see vans going in and out and such. I'm pretty sure Wetherspoons made enquiries but were knocked back.

• 2 weeks later...

Round of applause and three cheers for Mal's Son,poor little dog wud be terrified!

Noo wat thi hell has thi Daddy vid got ti dae wi thi aad reservoir?!

Tell u wat though,it's great,and as a guitarist,and home recording engineer,that is one gorgeous-soonding guitar,and very well played..wish a cud play that style mesel'!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now