Joe Cocker - R.I.P

Symptoms

Totally agree with you Symptoms.

In 1968 me and some other Bedlington lads got in a Thames Trader van and went to the College of Art & Tech in Newcastle to see Joe (with the Grease Band). As we were ordering our beers at the bar, this fella in a Sheffield Corporation Bus Drivers Jacket came up, it was Joe, and we had a little chat and he ended up buying the beers. I think his first single "Marjorine" had just been released. 

Ever since then I have followed his career.

Then in 1994 (December 4th.) I was at work and my boss (a musical moron) shouted out, I've got 4 tickets for Joe Cocker at Wembley Arena tonight, he's only ever made one record "a little help from my friends", does any one want these tickets. So I had 2 and one of the other lads had 2. Cheryl Cole opened the concert (poor sound issues) and then Joe, with a superb band that was MD'd by non other than John Miles (from jarrow), delivered a masterpiece. A terrific gig.

In 2004 I honeymooned in Colorada, knowing that Joe had lived there for some time and looked for him everywhere we went, to no avail.

I think I've got 8 or 9 albums throughout the decades and I still like each one.

One of his great talents was taking other peoples songs are lifting them to a higher plane, check out one that he nearly always featured, Mr. Billy Prestons "You are so beautiful"

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now