The Mini

In 1972,my car had to go to the happy resting home at Sleekburn.

To keep on the road,until I got another decent car,I bought my neighbour's  1964 green minivan.

The big-ends,little-ends,main bearings,camshaft bearings....were all shot!

It was like a bag of hammers,and I had to put a pint of oil in to go to Rothbury,and another pint to come back home!!!

But it was a good little workhorse,and often shifted eight full coal sacks [1 cwt bags],to keep my elderly Mother-in-law's fire going,during the bad winter. !

After about six months,I bought a lovely M.G. Magnette MK IV with full leather,and walnut dash....oh..and a fitted in radio as well...luxury!!it was a 1963 model,just before the letter started on the plates...,and within an hour of buying the MG,one of my neighbours bought my Minivan,so it was a gud day, that day!

I paid £40 for the Mini,and got that back when I sold it,and I paid £180 for the MG.[aboot 6 weeks wages,at the time..a lot of money..in 1972!]

I've owned no fewer than seven Mini's, loved them all. My two favourites were 'DLG' which was army surplus; the military had ordered a batch for getting from a to b on major camps but cancelled them, hence I owned a rare khaki green mini with  vinyl roof. The other was Wendell, a 1275GT with a bored and stroked 1430cc Downton engine - any of you know anything about 'hot' mini's will understand - which looked like a total wreck, yet would p*** on your fastest hot hatch away from the lights. Wish I still had it.

So exited at the new car I forgot to say Mini Car.

Sorry for the confusion foxy..

The days of the mini skirt and car are good to remember.

The older we get the more we remember the past.

Fashion in the Carnaby Street days was something else.

I remember everyone being well dressed in London.

These days it all seems a little boring by comparison.

mercuryg you have great memory for details.

I simply remember the old car number plates.

This new Mini is very quick away at the traffic lights even though it cuts the engine to save fuel.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now