Bliddy Ashington

Guest missvic

I think one of the reasons that Ashington is getting more help now is because people feel guilty about the royal seeing to that the town got after the minors strike. All told it was pretty much left to rot...plus unlike Bedlington, it wasn't the most attractive of towns to begin with.

??????????????????????????

The problem was with the decision made years ago that Ashington HAD to be the commercial heart of WDC. Anyone with a bit of grey matter would have made Bedlington the heart as it lies about mid point of Morpeth, Ashington, Blyth and Cramlington. With that degree of bias and the political power base there both Newbiggin and Bedlignton were relegated to also rans'. Of course that decision could have been recinded but we never got councillors willing to tackle it, even when the majority of the ruling councillors came from Bedlingtonshire!

Best thing to do now is to impose passport controls on Stakeford bridge and declare independence for the Shire! At the very least we have a council offices we own!

It was just conjecture about miners strike guilt and besides, I'm not quite old enough to know in any detail what the political landscape was like when the boundaries changed...and do agree with you on Bedlington being at the geographical heart of the district....

It was just conjecture about miners strike guilt and besides, I'm not quite old enough to know in any detail what the political landscape was like when the boundaries changed...and do agree with you on Bedlington being at the geographical heart of the district....

still a !*!@# hole! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...