Proposed New Power Station

Has anyone any thoughts about the proposed power station using the old site at Cambois.

Having worked at the old power station for over 30 years, I think that it will make a huge difference to the local economy, whilst is under construction. Unfortunately these new stations are run by computers and very few staff, therefore once it has been built there will be very few chances for local employment.

Guest missvic
Has anyone any thoughts about the proposed power station using the old site at Cambois.

Having worked at the old power station for over 30 years, I think that it will make a huge difference to the local economy, whilst is under construction. Unfortunately these new stations are run by computers and very few staff, therefore once it has been built there will be very few chances for local employment.

I'm still confused to why Blyth Valley is making the decisions when the site appears to be in Wansbeck :blink:

It would help to fund the 'Ashington Masterplan' with the increased council taxes.

plus generate a few jobs! and aid the local economy but people don't want progress!

A coal fired station with 3x800mw machines installed, I don't remember the figures but I suspect the old A + B plants would barely match one machine in this proposal. That's a lot of coal going in and crap coming out on our doorstep and I can't help wondering where the coal is coming from. Pollution = progress. :rolleyes:

A coal fired station with 3x800mw machines installed, I don't remember the figures but I suspect the old A + B plants would barely match one machine in this proposal.

The A had (4x) 120MW generating sets and the B had 275MW generating sets.

That's a big M for megawatt, not a small m for milliwatt. :D

I'm told that the B was the second largest station in the country for quite some time. Technology moves on!

That's a big M for megawatt, not a small m for milliwatt. :D

Nitpicker...lol Small hydrogen cooled units built by English Electric. The smallest job I remember was an exciter that would fit in my toolbox for Consett Iron Works. The largest were the 860MW water cooled for Bruce/Pickering in Ontario. I don't do electronics. :rolleyes:

Generating plants of this type typically have a thermal efficiency of less than 35%, so more than 60% of the heat produced is dumped into the sea. Is that what we want?

I dont want to see a power station there again.

I thought that once the power station was down they`d finally start tidying that place up.The new one will create jobs though,it`s a pity the local lads won`t be getting them though :(