Dentists

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Newbiggin and Guidepost and top end of Ashington I think. Personally I think the £11.50 a month Fleming charges is money well spent as he pays great time and attention and gives you stuff for nowt! Also the whole practise is great at giving a relaxed, quality service.

Newbiggin and Guidepost and top end of Ashington I think. Personally I think the £11.50 a month Fleming charges is money well spent as he pays great time and attention and gives you stuff for nowt! Also the whole practise is great at giving a relaxed, quality service.

na it all went down hill after mr jaques left! then he went private and anyone who didn't want to sign up to his scheme got booted off! just terrible! and a don't want to go back to the station butchers either. to many bad memories of that place.

na it all went down hill after mr jaques left! then he went private and anyone who didn't want to sign up to his scheme got booted off! just terrible! and a don't want to go back to the station butchers either. to many bad memories of that place.

When I was at school the dentist used to come and check your teeth at school and if you needed any treatment you got the day off school to go and see him.

The dentist was based at the Oval, he was not a butcher he was a bliddy sadist or what ever they call themselves. I was really looking forward to going as I had never been to the dentist before and the thought of a day off school made it more appealing

When I got to the dentists I had to sit in this chair and he stated poking bits of metal with mirror's on in my mouth. He said that I had to have some fillings and a tooth out and that he would take the tooth out there and then.

He gave me an injection in my gums and then he put his knee across my chest and pinned me to the chair and then he pulled my bliddy tooth out.

I screamed and I have been terrified of dentists ever since. That fellow at the Oval must have put the fear of death into a lot of young kids, he was the King of the sadists butchers.

When I was at school the dentist used to come and check your teeth at school and if you needed any treatment you got the day off school to go and see him.

The dentist was based at the Oval, he was not a butcher he was a bliddy sadist or what ever they call themselves. I was really looking forward to going as I had never been to the dentist before and the thought of a day off school made it more appealing

When I got to the dentists I had to sit in this chair and he stated poking bits of metal with mirror's on in my mouth. He said that I had to have some fillings and a tooth out and that he would take the tooth out there and then.

He gave me an injection in my gums and then he put his knee across my chest and pinned me to the chair and then he pulled my bliddy tooth out.

I screamed and I have been terrified of dentists ever since. That fellow at the Oval must have put the fear of death into a lot of young kids, he was the King of the sadists butchers.

wasn't there a scandal at the oval dentists! something about a ring of pedophiles or something! :blink:

wasn't there a scandal at the oval dentists! something about a ring of pedophiles or something! :blink:

Summic like that,a bunch of business men from Bedlington were paying this 15 year old simpleton from Haig road for sexual favours,i don`t think the dentist from the Oval was involved though :mellow:

Oh my God Pete! I remember that dentist at the Oval. Your right there , he was an absoloute sadist! I have a vivid memory of having a horrible, smelly rubber gas mask put over my mouth and nose before having a tooth taken out. I thought I was going to die!...Luckily I didn't and lived to tell the tale. I can also remember a dentist being in one of the houses across from where the Spar is now (at the Station) and he wasn't much better! Are there any nice dentists? :o

Oh my God Pete! I remember that dentist at the Oval. Your right there , he was an absoloute sadist! I have a vivid memory of having a horrible, smelly rubber gas mask put over my mouth and nose before having a tooth taken out. I thought I was going to die!...Luckily I didn't and lived to tell the tale. I can also remember a dentist being in one of the houses across from where the Spar is now (at the Station) and he wasn't much better! Are there any nice dentists? :o

that mr jaques from flemings at the top end was good! but he left cause flemings an !*!@# !

Yes Esme there was a dentist across the road for the Spar, it was a bit further up near the cut. I think his name was Mr Tully but I could be wrong about the name.

I remember going there one night when I came home from work, I had tooth ache all day and droped in there. He did not have an appointment system as such you could go any time.

Yes Esme there was a dentist across the road for the Spar, it was a bit further up near the cut. I think his name was Mr Tully but I could be wrong about the name.

I remember going there one night when I came home from work, I had tooth ache all day and droped in there. He did not have an appointment system as such you could go any time.

Yep Pete, Mr Tully sounds right. You've got a superb memory, no way I could have remembered that although memories of his dentistry remain vivid! :(

Yep Pete, Mr Tully sounds right. You've got a superb memory, no way I could have remembered that although memories of his dentistry remain vivid! :(

I remember going to that dentist with my Grandmother, she only had one tooth left, she had pulled the rest herself over the years.

The dentist took the tooth out and she got a false set it was like she had been given a new lease of life.

:lol:

I remember going to that dentist with my Grandmother, she only had one tooth left, she had pulled the rest herself over the years.

The dentist took the tooth out and she got a false set it was like she had been given a new lease of life.

:lol:

Ahh bless :D So the dentist did a good deed after all :P

I remember going there one night when I came home from work, I had tooth ache all day and drooped in there. He did not have an appointment system as such you could go any time.

Spot on! The practise was called Hall & Tully, and they operated from a former private house in a one of the terraces on the Victoria Terrace side of the road - park right outside! The waiting room was the downstairs front room and Mr Tully had his surgery in the downstairs back room. There was a (main?) surgery at the Guidepost too, though I never went there.

Mr Tully was actually a very good dentist of the old school. I visited him quite a number of times in the 1970's when I got a little fed up with Mr Henderson on Front Street West. Though his gear wasn't anything like so up-to-date as Mr Henderson's, he was nevertheless a very competent NHS dentist. He was also fairly sociable, and, sad to say, he clearly knew and remembered a lot more about me that I ever remember about him!

He did have an appointment system, though I can't recall anyone else ever being in his waiting room when I was there - generally midweek. He didn't employ a dental nurse and I can't recall any sort of receptionist on site. I think there was quite probably another surgery upstairs, but it didn't seem to be in use by then.

Overall the practise did leave the impression of being from a bygone age, even in the early 1970's. I guess that by that time he was fairly close to retirement though.

I vaguely remember someone telling me that they'd closed the Station Road surgery, and that I now needed to go to Guidepost. It could be that they'd closed that too by the time I needed him again - because I never ever got there!

Spot on! The practise was called Hall & Tully, and they operated from a former private house in a one of the terraces on the Victoria Terrace side of the road - park right outside! The waiting room was the downstairs front room and Mr Tully had his surgery in the downstairs back room. There was a (main?) surgery at the Guidepost too, though I never went there.

Mr Tully was actually a very good dentist of the old school. I visited him quite a number of times in the 1970's when I got a little fed up with Mr Henderson on Front Street West. Though his gear wasn't anything like so up-to-date as Mr Henderson's, he was nevertheless a very competent NHS dentist. He was also fairly sociable, and, sad to say, he clearly knew and remembered a lot more about me that I ever remember about him!

He did have an appointment system, though I can't recall anyone else ever being in his waiting room when I was there - generally midweek. He didn't employ a dental nurse and I can't recall any sort of receptionist on site. I think there was quite probably another surgery upstairs, but it didn't seem to be in use by then.

Overall the practise did leave the impression of being from a bygone age, even in the early 1970's. I guess that by that time he was fairly close to retirement though.

I vaguely remember someone telling me that they'd closed the Station Road surgery, and that I now needed to go to Guidepost. It could be that they'd closed that too by the time I needed him again - because I never ever got there!

I am sure that you are correct Threegee about Mr Tully having an appointment system but you could just turn up and he would see you (not like today).

As you say the front room was the waiting room but as I recall there was a small counter near the back wall and there was a lady receptionist, this was in the late fifties early sixties. I don't remember a surgery upstairs but there may have been one.

He was a very sociable gentleman and would engage you in a conversation whilst you sat in the dentist's chair.

Ah well the good old days. :lol:

Guest missvic

I've just signed up with what seems like a rubbish place in Blyth:their Waterloo Road practice has vacancies at the minute... I've had a check-up there and I'm due for work done tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

Incidentally :rolleyes: I changed to this new place after being with Jackson on the Front Sreet who recently told me he 'can't be bothered' to do (privately paid for) fillings on my teeth as I bleached them with some chemist stuff instead of using his £400 treatment. If he can afford to turn down business... anyway, the new dentist says I don't need some of the work done anyway! Hmmmm.... :huh:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now