How's the weather in Alberta Vic?

3 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

-7c and snowing! Yes most of the fires are out Alan, a few are still burning but not causing any problems. Everyone has returned to their homes, at least those who didn't loose them in the fires, and finally the smoke has gone, I think! I'll check when it stops snowing. Like yourselves we have just had some high winds, I hope they were the ones we usually get at Halloween! 

It was a beautiful fall. 

:thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

@Vic Patterson haven't got the kids schedule for their holiday accross Canada but they are now on the fith day of the Holiday. Six hour flight from UK to Toronto, Canada followed by two internal flights (one 4 hours and the other 5 hours - I think:rolleyes:) West accross canada and at the end of the holiday a seven hour flight back to the UK. 

I can't ever see it hapening but if I used a smart phone instead of a Desktop PC  (with keyboard I still make loads of errors on:pc:) then I would be kept up to date with events. 

First full day was Niagra Falls - Jasper was to be visited on third day but that had to be cancelled following the fire and evacuation etc.

The OH has received loads of photos on her mobile - water falls - mountains - cable car rides - bears etc  but no info with them:closedeyes:.

No doubt we will spend a load of time discussing their hoidy and then I'll forget half, if not more, of what they tell me:) 

• Like 1

I'm pleased to hear they are enjoying their holiday despite missing Jasper, I'm just north of Jasper and still getting their smoke, along with our own fires. They probably were going to travel the spectacular Jasper to Banff highway through the Columbia Ice-fields.

We had a spell of 35c+ which added to the many already wildfires, still a few around my town, but most of the roads are open again so travelling is getting better which is good as we have the "Canadian Death Race" this weekend, it brings in over 1,000 world wide competitors, Google it and see our beautiful area. 

I think they will tell you of the size and distances between cities, 6 time zones and the diverse scenery. It takes some getting used too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Patterson said:

They probably were going to travel the spectacular Jasper to Banff highway through the Columbia Ice-fields.

Now that you have mentioned them Vic the ice fields had been on their itinery.

Photos arrived of them White Water rafting but don't know exactly where:)

• Like 1

On 02/08/2024 at 17:14, Vic Patterson said:

I think they will tell you of the size and distances between cities, 6 time zones and the diverse scenery. It takes some getting used too. 

They are now just 71/2 hours = 735 km from you Vic - in Banff looking for bears but they haven't seen any yet.:)

• Like 1

Local for us. 😊 Banff, Lake Louise beautiful part of the Rockies, we pass through there often on our way to Calgary, although the highway 93 is closed through Jasper still. I hope the smoke is not spoiling their visit, so many fires again this year. Are they still travelling West? 

Another town north of here being evacuated, 1/3 of has Jasper burned, nice here today, but quite smokey, lets hope the wind changes later.  

"Rose Marie" "River of no Return" movies were made is these areas, Even an episode of "Heartbeat"!

I hope Mr Bear shows up, lots around. 

2 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

. Are they still travelling West? 

I know the plan they had was to fly to Alberta and then after 'bear hunting' drive from Banff to Revelstoke but I don't know if they are gong back to Banff. I know they have another flight booked( four hour flight I think) and I think that will be the last  journey West or North West and at the end of the holiday they will be flying from the west back to the UK  - about 10 days from today (I think:)).

• Like 1

On 04/08/2024 at 19:23, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I know the plan they had was to fly to Alberta and then after 'bear hunting' drive from Banff to Revelstoke but I don't know if they are gong back to Banff. I know they have another flight booked( four hour flight I think) and I think that will be the last  journey West or North West and at the end of the holiday they will be flying from the west back to the UK  - about 10 days from today (I think:)).

Yep staying in Banff for a few days and today it's Kamloops, according to Google maps it's a 494km drive from Banff to Kamloops, but I don't know if they will be staying overnight in Kamloops and what the next trip will be. It might be a flight from Kamloops Airport (YKA) but no doubt Jacquie will let me know:) but she does keep forgetting the kids are currently 8 hours behind us in the UK:wave:

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now