Railway cottages in Shiney Row - WARNES

Margaret Daley

My grandmother's family lived in the railway cottages in Shiney Row.  Their family name is WARNES and i believe there is a cottage with the name WARNES above the doorway.  Is there any history of WARNES in Shiney Row.

I am from Australia, my mother and her family moved here in 1927 so I am not sure if there are any relatives still in Shiney Row or in the Northumberland district.  My Mothers maiden name is Ivison.  Looking forward to hearing from you

• Like 1

@Margaret DaleyHi Margaret and welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid Shiney Row no longer exists and neither does the coal-mine (the Doctor Pit) but this is what it looked like. Shiney Row is the row of houses on the right. The small buildings opposite are Shiney Row's toilets and coal sheds. Railway cottages were two in number and located at the far end of the street adjacent to the pit head and the railway line which was used to take coal to the port. They later became known as Dr Pit cottages. Visit the gallery and search for 'Shiney Row and Doctor Pit' to see more of the immediate area.

If you can give me any more information about your grandmother and mother (ex. full name, date of birth, parents names, place of birth) I'll see what I can find out. If you don't want to give information here you can message me. Just move your marker over my 'hat' and choose 'message' on the bottom line.

Shiney Row and Doctor Pit.jpg

• Like 1

@Margaret Daley Hi again, Margaret,

I think there has been some misunderstanding. Usually when we talk about ”Shiney Row” and ”Railway cottages” in this forum we are referring to the street shown in the above photo and the two cottages at its eastern end. I’ve had a look at your question about the Warnes family in Shiney Row and if your grandmother was Bertha Warnes and your mother Margaret Audrey Ivison then I’m afraid you’re in the wrong Shiney Row.

They had their roots not in the street Shiney Row, in Bedlington, but in the village of Shiney Row located about 30 miles south of Bedlington in Penshaw, County Durham . Your great great grandfather William Warnes, born in Norfolk, lived there from about 1881 until his death in 1925 manning the railway signal box at Penshaw junction and occupying one of four cottages reserved for the job – Railway cottages (marked blue on the map below). Shiney Row is today included in the greater area of Houghton - le - Spring.

It’s an easy mistake to make. However, your grandmother, Bertha did have some connection with the Bedlington area as your mother’s birth is registered in Ashington (Morpeth registration district) in 1926. There have been several families of Warnes in the Bedlingtonshire area – though not in the town of Bedlington. They lived predominantly in Cambois, which is located in Bedlingtonshire, but seem to have spread themselves over the years to Ashington and Pegswood.  The earliest Warnes I’ve found arrived about the same time as William (Late 1800s) and were, like him, also from Norfolk so they may all be related and there may well be Warnes even today.

If you would like any of the documentation related to this you can message me an e-mail address and I'll send the files on to you.

Railway Cottages, Houghton- le-Spring (near Shiney Row.png

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Margaret Daley said:

Canny Lass

Thank you so much, that is all amazing information 

My email is 

I would love to hear more.

Margaret

@Margaret Daley it is afer to pass on personal details etc. to members via the 'Message' system at the top of page. 

You should ask the Admin ie. @Andy Millne to remove your comment with your email address in and 'Message' @Canny lass  :)

Messages.jpg

• Like 1

Hi again Margaret!

Alan is right. It's not wise to have your e-post floating about on the Internet, even if this site is deemed to be a safe site. I've made a note of your e-post so it's OK by me to have it removed.

I'm happy to have helped with your question about the Warnes family and I'll get the files off to you, hopefully today but if not it'll be tomorrow. I'm assuming that I was right about the names of your mother and grandmother? Everything else is related to that being correct.

15 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Hi again Margaret!

Alan is right. It's not wise to have your e-post floating about on the Internet, even if this site is deemed to be a safe site. I've made a note of your e-post so it's OK by me to have it removed.

I'm happy to have helped with your question about the Warnes family and I'll get the files off to you, hopefully today but if not it'll be tomorrow. I'm assuming that I was right about the names of your mother and grandmother? Everything else is related to that being correct.

Canny Lass

Thank you for the warning

I contacted Andy.to take down my last comment

All information is correct, thank you.

How did you find that 

Margaret 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.