Living In Bedlington

Hi,

I am currently looking at moving from Cramlington to Bedlington.

Why do houses in this estate seem to come up for sale a lot? Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Best regards

Barry

Have you noticed the same houses?

i believe its because of the rediculous house prices at the moment, for examole, in 1998 i bought a 3 bed semi with attached garage, on suite bathroom, driveway, patio doors, good sized living and dining room and new kitchen for £29,000.

i sold it in 2001 for £67,000

Its up for sale now for £94,000

At the moment its worth your while selling up, it'll pay off your current mortgage and leave you with a hefty deposit for somewhere better! (like spain!)

I am sure they have room for one more!

Seriously whats it like?

:lol: :lol:

It`s a nice area,infact most of the Top End way of Bedlington is nice.

There was a rumour going around about the first houses that were built there sinking though,they were built on an opencast site apparently..don`t know how true this is though :blink:

:lol::lol:

It`s a nice area,infact most of the Top End way of Bedlington is nice.

There was a rumour going around about the first houses that were built there sinking though,they were built on an opencast site apparently..don`t know how true this is though :blink:

Its as true as a true thing thats true!

i remember being in middle school when the first batters went up next to meadowdale.

they dug a good hole there too, i wouldnt like to say how deep, but it was at least a few hundred meters, i remember scaling the fence when i was about 14 and going down on our mountain bikes. it was scary as hell! all was filled in level tho, and they are supposed to compress it every few meters, so i would say the land there should be the safest around to build on.... if they compressed the sub-foundations right when it was backfilled.... :huh:

Its as true as a true thing thats true!

i remember being in middle school when the first batters went up next to meadowdale.

they dug a good hole there too, i wouldnt like to say how deep, but it was at least a few hundred meters, i remember scaling the fence when i was about 14 and going down on our mountain bikes. it was scary as hell! all was filled in level tho, and they are supposed to compress it every few meters, so i would say the land there should be the safest around to build on.... if they compressed the sub-foundations right when it was backfilled.... :huh:

The land is supposed to stand for 20yrs before building on it,don't quite think it stood that long,maybe 6 months is W.D.C's equivalant of 20yrs :lol: :lol:

Hi,

Was it an opencast or was it a mine with shafts? Do you know what it was called?

I was not worried with the Opencast until I googled and found Bedlington was the home of Europes biggest Opencast.

I dont fancy living in a Bungalow in a few years time.

Whats the last bus back like on a night time from Newcastle. I have lived with the last bus back to Blyth for years without a problem.

Thanks Baz

The land is supposed to stand for 20yrs before building on it,don't quite think it stood that long,maybe 6 months is W.D.C's equivalant of 20yrs :lol::lol:

Defiantly not 20 years!!!

They were still fields until at least i was in middle school (17-18 years ago) and that was before the work started! it was opencast for at least 5 years, so on safety's side, i'd say today the opencasting finished 15 years ago (althought it may be much less than that). and they were building the first houses there at least that far back as my sister bought one in Dunstenburgh close when my niece was a toddler, and she's 16 now. However, for some reason i seem to remember the land where dunstenburugh close stands still being a field when the opencast was there, but i may be wrong about that.

Hi,

Was it an opencast or was it a mine with shafts? Do you know what it was called?

I was not worried with the Opencast until I googled and found Bedlington was the home of Europes biggest Opencast.

Whats the last bus back like on a night time from Newcastle. I have lived with the last bus back to Blyth for years without a problem.

Thanks Baz

When I was pilfering coal from there it was open cast,but you could see old mine workings there,roadways etc.also old artifacts were lying about don't know what happened to these,in hindsight I should have collected them instead of the coal and put them on That online auction site that is in no way as good as Free Bedlington.co.uk Classifieds.

People were saying at the time it was the working's of the monks,don't know if this is true!

Anyway nice place to live!

Hi,

Thanks Baz

Its fine, it isnt busy or too crowded, obviously at weekends its a bit busier but all in all theres plenty of seats to choose from!

The land is supposed to stand for 20yrs before building on it,don't quite think it stood that long,maybe 6 months is W.D.C's equivalant of 20yrs :lol: :lol:

post-42-1188764984_thumb.jpg

this is what it used to looked like before the bulldozers went in... thats my old hound on the right :(

Hi,

In the middle of the estate next to the school there is an empty field. Does anyone know why this wasnot build on?

Also does it get used by kids on motorcycles?

Thanks for all your help.

regards

Barry

There was 2 roumours i heard about that bit of land.

1 was it needed to be there as part of a 'green belt' agreement between the developers and WDC, to be used for a park once the development was complete

second was i was bought by a brewery, who are still deciding wether to build a licenced premisis there, or to sell it on for housing. Apparently there was going to be a survey once the estates were populated to see if there was a demand for an alehouse.

Personally, i think a pub would do well there... Too far for the local idiots from the front street to go, and it could have a nice 'local' atmosphere to it!

Mind, i may be wrong on both counts!

at the moment its used mainly as a dog toilet. Which is a shame considering the length of public bridleway that stretches accross the fields to guidepost and the other way to hepscott. Ive had many a good walk with the dogs along there, and theirs a nice small lake if you look carefully along the guide post track! lots of frogs etc. I released 2 of my goldfish there once, when i was young...wonder how they did.... :unsure:

Hi,

Thanks Baz

The last bus back from town is class. I recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sinking - mother was one of the first inhabitants. House still standing. Ground not falling.

As for the empty patch of land, the original plans showed a group of shops and a pub. Still no sign of either.

Congratulations Barry on doing 100% more than most folk ever do to research the biggest purchase they ever make in their lives.

If only a few hundred other house purchasers in the area had asked the obvious questions. Not mentioning any particular estates - of course! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Congratulations Barry on doing 100% more than most folk ever do to research the biggest purchase they ever make in their lives.

If only a few hundred other house purchasers in the area had asked the obvious questions. Not mentioning any particular estates - of course! :lol:

Oooh, get her.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now