Anyone With Anything To Do With Horses In Bedlington...

Ms Hair

So the moral of the story is horses poo wherever coz theres no bridleways for us and that why we need to use paths or roads!!!!

why not feed your horse some elderberry or blackberry, and colour match the horse !*!@# on my street with the purple crap birds leave on my car? :unsure:

i don't really mind the odd clippedy clop going past me window, the fluorescent jackets they wear arent that offensive and even the mess they leave... well, it's just nature... i do get annoyed, however, when riding schools take out 20 or 30 kid with little experience out on the roads, its both dangerous to them and to me... twice in the last 5 years have i had car encounters with mad horses trying to jump on me bonnet, if they were rotweilers they would be put down...

oh, and as i like a bit of nostalgia, he boi believe theres a a plaque down in the woods at tttom of furnace bank, its unreadable, but i found that its there in memory of a man who's horse pulled him (attached to his cart) to his death in the river... horses have always been a bit mental, the case is proven... it's not all fertilizer and rag and bone men...

I am always surprised to see how we distort the historical facts so quickly. The plaque you mention, if it is the one on the South side of the river, a short distance up stream from the Furnace bridge set into the cliff, is in memory of the death of the farmers son, who was riding a horse on the fields above. He attempted to jump over a hedge not realiazing that it was on the edge of the cliff above the river. He ,and the horse were both killed. They were not drowned in the river!

The horse was buried where they landed. The son was buried in the local cemetary,

Anyway, if you were a reader of Evan Martin's hostories, you would be more familiar with the facts.

Regards, Joe

Guest missvic
I am always surprised to see how we distort the historical facts so quickly. The plaque you mention, if it is the one on the South side of the river, a short distance up stream from the Furnace bridge set into the cliff, is in memory of the death of the farmers son, who was riding a horse on the fields above. He attempted to jump over a hedge not realiazing that it was on the edge of the cliff above the river. He ,and the horse were both killed. They were not drowned in the river!

The horse was buried where they landed. The son was buried in the local cemetary,

Anyway, if you were a reader of Evan Martin's hostories, you would be more familiar with the facts.

Regards, Joe

sorry, joe, just what i was told from a most reliable source... a horse related injury though, still proving the point!...

as for evan martin, his 'truth' is also questionable on many occasions, particularly when buying antiques from elderly relations of mine, i will not line his gold plated pockets any further...

Regards, Joe

A.D 1801

Steady the path ordained by nature's God

And free from human vices, Wheatley trod,

Yet hop d no future life-his all he liv'd

The turf he grazed his parting breath received

And now protect his bones; disturb them not

But let one faithful horse respected rot

A.D 1801

Steady the path ordained by nature's God

And free from human vices, Wheatley trod,

Yet hop d no future life-his all he liv'd

The turf he grazed his parting breath received

And now protect his bones; disturb them not

But let one faithful horse respected rot

Thanks Swalnalla,

I can always depend upon you to come up with the perfect close.

It's sad though! One of the last things my new wife and I did in April 1953 was to walk up the hapenny woods, and on the way I showed her that plaque. In those days it was still clear and legible. Fifty years of progress and pollution have now deprived future generations of the pleasure of reading it.

Thanks again,

Regards, Joe

Thankyou bar lass for your point of view. If I was you I would get your horsey pals together and do something about it. The people I saw on the horses looked like they had no control, one was a very small child and the other one didn't look older than 18.

JR, at least miss vic knows more than most people on here about local history even if it's not 100% accurate. All I know about is the Sun Inn murders. The story behind that was different depending on who you spoke too, but that's what makes history interesting! (I have never said that before ever, Mr Hair I hope you're proud.)

Regards, Joe

Humans and horses - they just don't mix.

sorry, joe, just what i was told from a most reliable source... a horse related injury though, still proving the point!...

as for evan martin, his 'truth' is also questionable on many occasions, particularly when buying antiques from elderly relations of mine, i will not line his gold plated pockets any further...

Hi Missvic,

I am sorry to hear that your family may have had problems with Evan.

I have never met the man, but I have always enjoyed and admired his written work and photographic collections.

As a history buff, I greatly appreciate the fact that he and a small number of local historians have been able to collect photographs, written accounts, and memorabilia of the Bedlington area.

If it is not collected and preserved now, then the day will come when Bedlington will be relegated to the status of a deprived, uninteresting housing area, adjacent to Ashington, with no history or attractions.

So, I am sure you have grievances of merit. But I can only only comment on those things which I have

knowledge of. And his writings and historical collections are the total of those things.

Regards, Joe

Humans and horses - they just don't mix.

Come on now Denzel,

Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, et al. Where would they been without horses!

Joe

Thankyou bar lass for your point of view. If I was you I would get your horsey pals together and do something about it. The people I saw on the horses looked like they had no control, one was a very small child and the other one didn't look older than 18.

Have tried plenty of times to get the council to do something about it bit its just like everything else that they wont do.

Last year we asked for signs to be put up sayin 'caution horses' or perhaps even a spped camera as you come into bedlington nxt to the golf course as when we come out of there we cant see whats round the corner, its very dangerous. There have been plenty of accidents with people on their horses on that stretch of road as it is a 60mph limit before u get into bedlington but how else can we get down to bridleways down there other than to ride horses down that way?? When we asked for something to be done, the council said 'we will only take further action when someone is killed, other than that we dont see a problem!!' HOW HARSH is that, one day there will be a bad accident down there and the council will then make changes, they are thick!!no wonder everyone hates bedlington, SACK THE COUNCIL!!!!!!!!!!!

We should all protest in front of the council offices one day telling them how !*!@# they are and how we want them out!!!!

If they really said the're waiting far someone to get killed then if someone does get killed they could be

prosecuted.As its their duty of care to carry out risk assessments on all near misses that are reported never mind fatal accidents. I had my work experience from school in those council offices .. i watched one lady spend the entire day talking !*!@# and drinking diet coke, she had a laugh like a dying donkey. The next day a letter was sent around the offices. Its title was ' Are You a social loafer ' .. This lady had a right laugh at it . All day she spent reading through it saying in a screaching howled tone ' Whats a social loafer ' I wanted to scream " YOU ARE YOU ******* ****. But i just sat and seethed instead ..doing all her fu**ing filing.