Negative Rep

Negative Rep  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All we need now is the multiple accounts to vote and we'll be stuck with it! But so what they can neg me as often as they want,it will NEVER change my attitude. The only people it will affect is the newbies, neg them and they'll think 'Stuff you lot

I'll not post' :unsure:

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy then isn't it.

Also, Ironic that the two biggest users of negative rep historically (By a huge margin I might add) are the two that are so against it. :) This is such a ridiculous argument really but it's looking like it'll be removed tomorrow in any case.

It possibly could have been a useful addition but I think you've made your point that it will only case animosity here. Like Mr D says it works well on other boards I am admin of but they tend to be about a common subject matter not the wide variety of topics discussed here which have the potential to flare up.

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy then isn't it.

Also, Ironic that the two biggest users of negative rep historically (By a huge margin I might add) are the two that are so against it. :) This is such a ridiculous argument really but it's looking like it'll be removed tomorrow in any case.

It possibly could have been a useful addition but I think you've made your point that it will only case animosity here. Like Mr D says it works well on other boards I am admin of but they tend to be about a common subject matter not the wide variety of topics discussed here which have the potential to flare up.

No it dosn't work on other boards it has been tried, tested and dropped by quite a number of boards,because of it's attitude of causing conflict! As proved here!!!!!!!!!!

As for the boards other people frequent the less said the better!

it has been tried, tested and dropped by quite a number of boards,because of it's attitude of causing conflict! As proved here!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that is true in a lot of cases, but in my experience, of the several boards I use regularly that is not necessarily the case. It all depends on subject matter, audience and implementation. Here the negative aspect is obviously causing conflict for the reasons you mention and is very badly implemented.

Look here for some more usable patterns that are designed to encourage collaboration and a more positive approach. http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/social/people/reputation/

So in summary........Failed experiment now lets move on.

My opinion: if your getting rid of negative, the positive needs to go too.

Newbies looking at some of the childish, insensitive remarks made by members, including myself at times, backed up by an "excellent" board reputation will also make newbies say 'Stuff you lot I'll not post'

I know thats been the opinion of at least 3 people i have introduced to the forum, who have never signed up, simply because of the insensitivity of a member with a "Moderator" title.

Back to the "report" button, and posts getting deleted for minor reasons, and a flare up for that i guess! :rolleyes:

What if neg was restricted to 1 a day and positive 10?

Failed experiment now lets move on :D

It`s now Wednesday, 6 out of 10 votes want the neg option removed and as you`ve said yourself `I don't agree with negative rep either` `I've added a poll in any case as that is how these disagreements are usually decided. Voting closes Wednesday lunchtime` `if most users want it removed so be it` `you've made your point that it will only case animosity here`

The time is now 12.18 (past Wednesday lunchtime)

I don't think it was a failed experiment. What has happened is that the people who misuse positive rep have ganged up to see that there's no negative. They seem to think that because they misuse it other people will do too. Pretty juvenile! rolleyes.gif

Only 25% of members who visited the thread voted. Just like Bedlington not enough people bothered to use their brains then vote for a logical improvement! So... the manipulators get a result in their self-interest, and not the wider interest.

Maybe the next poll should have a "don't know" to separate the don't knows from the don't cares?

Or - if we want to play petty politics - we can do what politicians do and keep on asking the same question in different ways until we get the answer we want - after which the public's decision becomes final!

I don't think it was a failed experiment. What has happened is that the people who misuse positive rep have ganged up to see that there's no negative. They seem to think that because they misuse it other people will do too. Pretty juvenile! rolleyes.gif

Only 25% of members who visited the thread voted. Just like Bedlington not enough people bothered to use their brains then vote for a logical improvement! So... the manipulators get a result in their self-interest, and not the wider interest.

Maybe the next poll should have a "don't know" to separate the don't knows from the don't cares?

Or - if we want to play petty politics - we can do what politicians do and keep on asking the same question in different ways until we get the answer we want - after which the public's decision becomes final!

You`re making it sound like the people that voted are bullies and manipulators (me included) and the people that didn`t vote have no brains! :blink: Shocking! I know who the manipulator is on this board and it isn`t any of the ones your pointing the finger at.

End of the day, if the Admins want to use the neg option, then reinstate it! It`ll keep a certain member happy if no-one else.

• Like 1

End of the day, if the Admins want to use the neg option, then reinstate it! It`ll keep a certain member happy if no-one else.

As I said I'm not a fan of the neg option either but I can see how it can have it's uses in certain situations. This not being one of them.

You`re making it sound like the people that voted are bullies and manipulators (me included) and the people that didn`t vote have no brains! blink.gif Shocking! I know who the manipulator is on this board and it isn`t any of the ones your pointing the finger at.

Not at all! Bully is your word, and those people who voted ARE using their brains BUT not in the wider interest. I'm not sure why 75% of the members reading the debate didn't vote - why I said for/against didn't tell us the full story. That's only shocking if you want to cherry pick then twist my remarks into something I never said - like saying people aren't using their brains implies they don't have any! And what is multiple voting Fourgee's perfectly neutral post (he actually supports your view!) down other than an attempt to manipulate the outcome?

I'm content to go with the democratic consensus, even though it's a very small sample. But I happen to think that more people voting on the quality of posts - either up or down, will over time improve the quality of posts.

Not at all! Bully is your word, and those people who voted ARE using their brains BUT not in the wider interest. I'm not sure why 75% of the members reading the debate didn't vote - why I said for/against didn't tell us the full story. That's only shocking if you want to cherry pick then twist my remarks into something I never said. And what is voting Fourgee's perfectly neutral post (he actually supports your view!) down other than an attempt to manipulate the outcome?

I'm content to go with the democratic consensus, even though it's a very small sample. But I happen to think that more people voting on the quality of posts - either up or down, will over time improve the quality of posts.

Bullies gang-up do they not?

And, i haven`t twisted anything! It`s there in black and white. People can make their own minds up as to how they read it.

Correct me if i`m wrong here, but how does `And what is voting Fourgee's perfectly neutral post (he actually supports your view!) down other than an attempt to manipulate the outcome?` this apply to me? I`m assuming this is aimed in my direction as you mention `your` view. The only time that i`ve touched Fourgees post (if it`s the one that got 2 negs last night) was 2 minutes ago and i gave him a good rep to get rid of the red one!

I think 3g's point is that there was more than one manipulator as somebody was trying to influence my point of view by giving me negative rep. I'm not sure why they were trying to manipulate a viewpoint that I'd already confirmed several posts earlier though :) Don't think he was suggesting you negged the post Cympil.

Bullies gang-up do they not?

So do cows! But I didn't say they were those either! biggrin.gif

And, i haven`t twisted anything! It`s there in black and white. People can make their own minds up as to how they read it.

But getting increasingly obscure. I said people weren't using their brains, not that they didn't have any. And I was talking about the Bedlington electorate in general, as much as about this issue. No people can't! They have no right to tell me (or you) how we think!

Correct me if i`m wrong here, but how does `And what is voting Fourgee's perfectly neutral post (he actually supports your view!) down other than an attempt to manipulate the outcome?` this apply to me? I`m assuming this is aimed in my direction as you mention `your` view. The only time that i`ve touched Fourgees post (if it`s the one that got 2 negs last night) was 2 minutes ago and i gave him a good rep to get rid of the red one!

I correct you. You are wrong! No personal attack was made or even implied! It never even occurred to me that you'd doctored anything!

I'm perfectly happy with the result. I dont mind either way, if its there, i'll use it, if not, so be it.

A vote has been cast, and thats that. Like has been pointed out before, this is a forum for the people, by the people, so a majority vote will always win, even if it is all one family and their immediate family who are voting.

It would have been interesting to make it a public vote, so we could see who voted what and confirm it, but its in the past now, so be it.

A very short period for a vote tho. I know some who only visit here once a week that may have liked a vote.

I'm perfectly happy with the result. I dont mind either way, if its there, i'll use it, if not, so be it.

A vote has been cast, and thats that. Like has been pointed out before, this is a forum for the people, by the people, so a majority vote will always win, even if it is all one family and their immediate family who are voting.

It would have been interesting to make it a public vote, so we could see who voted what and confirm it, but its in the past now, so be it.

A very short period for a vote tho. I know some who only visit here once a week that may have liked a vote.

Why don`t the people you know pop in a bit more often, then they wouldn`t have missed the chance to vote. Saying that, they can`t really be that interested in the forum at all if they only visit occasionally.

As for the family you keep bringing up, i`ve only got 3 family members that use the site and they have their own opinions. So that means another 2 people voted to get rid of the negs.

Fact is, the majority of the voters wanted the option to neg people gone. Deal with it.

Mostly because they did not like the way the old forum was, although it has changed of late into a place where serious discussion seems to be taking place, and staying on track, it was not always like that.

They also have lives outside the forum that need their attention, some working 3 jobs just to make ends meet, and only have time to pop in once a week.

3? :lol:

Like i say, a public vote would have been interesting, for me at least.

Edited by Mr Darn

Mostly because they did not like the way the old forum was, although it has changed of late into a place where serious discussion seems to be taking place, and staying on track, it was not always like that.

They also have lives outside the forum that need their attention, some working 3 jobs just to make ends meet, and only have time to pop in once a week.

3? :lol:

Like i say, a public vote would have been interesting, for me at least.

Yes, THREE. Although, i fail to see what that has got to do with anything? The forum hasn`t got a `one person per family` join up rule you know.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now