The 2010 General Election Result

its a hung parlament! does that mean gordon is away to swing from the raftas! :lol:

Er, no, it means he's still Prime Minister.

Er, no, it means he's still Prime Minister.

not so fast cleggy looks like hes to do a deal with cameron! :P

so brown is on screw fix direct now ordering 20 foot of rope! :lol:

"Breaking the mold (sic) of British Politics!" smile.gif

Proving - if proof were needed - that social dependency is a terminal illness.

If I were Cleggie I'd be tempted to tell Gordon that a condition of him staying in power was that the ran down Whitehall naked before negotiations were started. Then: "Sorry Gordon you've been Nick Roll'd!" A potty LD policy that the great British public really would buy! laugh.gif

It strikes me that we will probably see exactly the same situation as we have in our county, albeit the parties in opposite positions regarding the main administration. Here we have the Lib Dems as a minority administration and only the support from the Conservatives got their budget through this year.

If we get Clarkie and Cable in the same backroom team at the treasury the whole debacle might just have been worth it!

I find it staggering Brown is trying to carry on??????

"Breaking the mold (sic) of British Politics!" smile.gif

Proving - if proof were needed - that social dependency is a terminal illness.

If I were Cleggie I'd be tempted to tell Gordon that a condition of him staying in power was that the ran down Whitehall naked before negotiations were started. Then: "Sorry Gordon you've been Nick Roll'd!" A potty LD policy that the great British public really would buy! laugh.gif

What a dreadful thought!

It strikes me that we will probably see exactly the same situation as we have in our county, albeit the parties in opposite positions regarding the main administration. Here we have the Lib Dems as a minority administration and only the support from the Conservatives got their budget through this year.

If we get Clarkie and Cable in the same backroom team at the treasury the whole debacle might just have been worth it!

I find it staggering Brown is trying to carry on??????

There aren't enough Labour and Lib Dem MPs in total to form a majority government, so a coalition would have to include the SNP and Plaid Cymru to scrape home, and Plaid wanted an extra £300 million a year spending in Wales.

My feeling is that there isn't enough agreement on policy between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives though, and I think that a minority Conservative government with say, a 2 year stability deal not to bring down the government or oppose a budget within certain limits might be the most likely outcome. The Lib Dems weren't calling for spending cuts as big as the Conservatives' in this first term (there will have to be more cuts after the next election though again whoever wins it) but that probably means there would be some agreement in the first few years. The devil would be in the details.

Stephen, that underestimates the sheer ambition of Cleggie. He's humbled by his poll result but he's also worked out that he can get his hands on the levers of power, and that this could well be his only chance. So I think we're going to see more than a stability pact. That's if he can get the huge compromises past his own party, and I guess that with this bunch he quite probably can. Labour can't offer him anything other than instant unpopularity, and a very shaky coalition. The only bargaining chip Labour has is their eleventh-hour conversion to electoral reform. A bird or two in the hand could be worth a small flock of electorally reformed ones in the bush - especially when it's a Brown bush!

On the other hand such is Gordon's "long-termist outlook" that he's going to do, say, or buy (with other people's money) anything to cling on. Even if this means throwing away the built-in advantage Labour has in the present electoral system. Interesting times, but so far all horses are running to form.

Interesting to scrutinise what Cleggie has just said in his four points. He steered clear of both the Euro and Trident. And he didn't specify PR. A fundamental vertical reform of the political system. Vertical codeword for the house of lords; political system can be made to mean whatever you want it to mean - he didn't actually use the words voting system like some of the media is reporting, It suits the Tories that the electoral boundaries be redrawn.

Cameron has already said that compromise is readily possible on education, and tax. So Cleggie reeeeely wants a deal, and so does Dave. But the longer it goes on the more deal-breaking demands will be thought up by those in the wings.

Interesting to scrutinise what Cleggie has just said in his four points. He steered clear of both the Euro and Trident. And he didn't specify PR. A fundamental vertical reform of the political system. Vertical codeword for the house of lords; political system can be made to mean whatever you want it to mean - he didn't actually use the words voting system like some of the media is reporting, It suits the Tories that the electoral boundaries be redrawn.

Cameron has already said that compromise is readily possible on education, and tax. So Cleggie reeeeely wants a deal, and so does Dave. But the longer it goes on the more deal-brea

king demands will be thought up by those in the wings.

I think they can probably sort a deal out, give or take, on everything apart from PR. I think you are right about time delays producing the unquantifiables.

Look! Clegg is the man in power at the moment. Cons and Labour will bend over backwards to give him anything he wants to get a majority to stay in power or to gain power. What a position to be in! Write your own cheque scenario. Don't do what I want.Then I'll go to the other side. Ha Ha get out of this one Brown and Cameron! Lib Dems Rool Ok. Fantastic, absolutely fantastic,you couldn't make this up in your dreams. The looks on their faces was class, absolute class, they haven't a clue what to do. You know what? Who at this minute gives a Damn? Date for next General ERECTION any body :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Actually it looks like Cleggie is in a quite weak position with his own party - he can't deliver on a deal! And, as I said, the longer this thing goes on....

So... we've not only had secret talks, we've had secret talks which were kept secret from those secret talks! This is what always happens when you abandon FPTP.

And... would you adam & eve that Gordon is going to cling on until Septemberish, and that it is starting to look like NONE of the candidates that were paraded before the public at the party leaders debate is going to get to be PM! Worse still, minority Labour is planning to impose yet another unelected PM on the Country! rolleyes.gif

Gordon has only dared to have a proper cabinet meeting AFTER he's preempted the people planning to knife him in the back. "Dignified exit" my foot!

What the people who are crowing that we don't have a presidential form of government conveniently fail to mention is, that this sort of thing wouldn't have happened in the past because it WAS ALWAYS an unwritten rule that a PM had to have a mandate to govern and so was obliged to hold an election fairly quickly to maintain authority. Exactly when this rule was sidelined I don't know.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now