Grass Cutting.

keith - i read your letter on the news post leader.

hopefully you'll of rattled a few cages

well i thought that maybe someone(ie the council) had read the letter as on my way to blyth this a.m.

i actually saw a white van with a trailer pull up beside the long grass at the black bridge..and you guessed it, there were grass cutters on it.

but when i came back a couple of hours later the grass had not been cut,

me thinks the will need strimmers first the length that it is.

That letter was written a few weeks ago before the baskets were put up and the raised beds and planters were planted in the Station. However, the planters on the grass at St Johns were short lived. The primroses that were in them were nicked and the scroats who nicked them were trying to sell them door to door, they were only there about 2 days. I spoke to the parish councillor responsible for them and he says that they would now probably be moved somewhere else as he believed in an "abuse it, then lose it" policy. Personally, I agree with him, some people just love spoiling things for others.

The grass at the Bank Top ?, apparrently this is a "grow wild area" as we learned on Wednesday night. It is a load of tosh because who would actually want to use those seats in such an area. An e-mail that I sent on Monday was passed on to the head of maintenance and the grass arround the seats (only) was cut on Tuesday. Prior to cutting it, you could hardly see the seats before the grass was cut. Also it was pointed out by a county councillor that it was hard to believe that even a grow wild area would be allowed to impede the footpath and the road. Then, predictably, the weather was blamed. One councillor actually defended having long grass because she believed it "would soak up all the rain".

Edited by keith

thanks for the explaination,

even if it had been left as a 'grow wild area' we all know what wild grass looks like

and is there not areas left to go wild down the woods etc

if it had been designated for meadow wild flowers and thats totally different

but then even meadows need to be tended to get the desired effect - not left .........its just been a money saving exercise ........may be bedlington west should leave 20 acres for a 'grow wild area' we all know what the response would be there.

If it's appropriate then the grass should be cut, for example in town centres, play areas, most parks, landscaping around buildings, around bus stops, and so on. I reckon it should generally remain uncut elsewhere, places like road margins and central reservations (but have a mower-wide cut strips alongside the gutters for 'elf 'n' safety), large designated areas within parks, swathes through accessable woodland, and along hedgerows ... this should be done to create wildlife areas.

If it's appropriate then the grass should be cut, for example in town centres, play areas, most parks, landscaping around buildings, around bus stops, and so on. I reckon it should generally remain uncut elsewhere, places like road margins and central reservations (but have a mower-wide cut strips alongside the gutters for 'elf 'n' safety), large designated areas within parks, swathes through accessable woodland, and along hedgerows ... this should be done to create wildlife area

Well the area in question has had its mower width strip, the rest looks a mess, it is not encouraging wildlife, or any type of meadow wildflowers.... it is like an abandoned building site.....oh hang on thats what part of it was after the bridge renovators went. Please can we have the nicely mowed area back............. FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY REASONS ie getting out of the open at the furnace bank as YOU CANNOT SEE THE TRAFFIC COMING IN ENOUGH TIME TO GET OUT OF THE OPENING.

Its a bit late but I got the answer to getting ALL the verges cut to Scandanavian standards, ALL the roads fixed, ALL the roads swept and new white lines put down, ALL the flower beds up to Kew Gardens standards loads of overtime for the council workers............. EASY get the Olympic Torch to be run all over the shire................ SIMPLES :thumbsup:

D'oh! why didn't we think of that sooner... :blink:

• 8 months later...

well !!..now heres an expert on grass speaking...i know it can look untidy and that some one will always be to blame for not looking after it but there is a simple solution...get the councill to hire some farmers to come in with their silage machines..roll it up in to black bales and feed it to all the cows from the station that i used to gan oot with as a lad...sorted....wonky..lol

well !!..now heres an expert on grass speaking...i know it can look untidy and that some one will always be to blame for not looking after it but there is a simple solution...get the councill to hire some farmers to come in with their silage machines..roll it up in to black bales and feed it to all the cows from the station that i used to gan oot with as a lad...sorted....wonky..lol

Sometimes you do talk a load of Crap

Edited by foxy

If, as was suggested last year, that it was just as well the grass was left long , "to soak up all the rain" where did the money go to that was saved from NOT cutting the grass.? (less fuel, less frequent services /repairs etc.) The same would apply in drought conditions when the grass would not grow.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now