Leek Season

paul mann

Fifty five years ago around this time of year my dad took me to my first leek show at Netherton. As more leek seasons passed and I learned about leek slashings and thieving and miner's wives who sat up all night with a poker to ward off leek saboteurs I thought it was all just another slice of life in Bedlington. Which was a lively place back then with plenty of likely lads. The first year I worked at the Chronicle in Newcastle I was assigned to write about the leek shows. I still remember the intro word for word: "Autumn, season of mists and mellow fruitfulness - and for thousands of northeast miners, season of leeks." It was too. Thousands of miners throughout Northumberland and Durham showing thousands of leeks at hundreds of leek shows. I never imagined one day I'd write a book about it or that it would take me most of my life. But, it was all so vivid and colourful it stuck in my head forever. And when I realised how unique it was, and after talking to other writers, how important it was, I knew it had to be put into a book. And that's how The Leek Club came about. And there isn't a leek show season goes by that I don't think of those cool damp nights and that warm hall with the leeks all washed and cleaned up for judging. Last April/May when I was back, I stayed with my old friend from West Lea, Elizabeth Tate, now at Haydon Bridge, and was tickled to meet an old bloke - same age as me - who still grew leeks for show. He even had a bunch of them stolen - the cheeky buggers used his wheelbarrow to carry them to the getaway car.

Not a leek man myself - but the thing I remember most about the leek season was broth day. We used to go from pub to pub and have a pint and a bowl of broth. Now cold beer and hot broth can have an adverse affect on your bowel system; but we still did it every year. Hope the book sells.

Not a leek man myself - but the thing I remember most about the leek season was broth day. We used to go from pub to pub and have a pint and a bowl of broth. Now cold beer and hot broth can have an adverse affect on your bowel system; but we still did it every year. Hope the book sells.

i remember all of your quote Keefy and as you say we returned evey year to do the same thing regardless of bowel consequences ..............ah the memories leek show at the Percy Arms

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now