Internet Safety Day

Our privacy policy: http://www.bedlingto.../privacypolicy/

But basically bedlington.co.uk guards member's email address', and will not disclose any private information without a UK court order. We do not sell any information to any other party, and you are in sole control of what is published about you and held on-line (edit or re-edit your profile).

Nothing is 100% secure, but we have our own servers, and don't rely on the security of a third party internet service provider like most other boards do. We keep our software bang up to date, and even have one of the authors of this very popular software - used world-wide - on-board to see to this.

In short we are local people supporting our own town, and not a faceless US corporation who is solely out to make money out of you. In supporting bedlington.co.uk you are supporting your own community, and nothing else!

Maggie,

you are right to be cautious with the internet but you have nothing to fear here. The only thing that is likely to go missing is Keith Lockey as he gets beamed up from the roof of his house chasing lights in the sky.

I used to post under a pen name but later decided to use my real name. About three years ago after following the posts of the late Joe Rooney (RIP) I felt that using my real name, not writing anything that I wouldn't say face to face with someone, not writing anything too personal about myself, friends or relatives that might compromise their security or privacy, (or causing embarrassment, unless you know the the intended target well enough to know that it is jest)

Once you establish a friendship with any of the forum members (I feel I have made several) you can PM them or go to regular e-mail, again consider nothing is 100% secure!

Joe was a real gentleman, well know and very well liked by everyone, if we all follow his example (I feel we all do, not like in some of the early days!)

Respectfully submitted.

Sadly we are at that age where 'it's not dark yet but it's getting there' Vic

Sounds dodgy but once you accept that fact nothing matters.

I have a Geordie friend in the South with a famous step son who was given weeks and months to live nearly two years ago.

When people ask me how she is, I say she was given a new lease of life proving the doctors wrong!

That I feel is a mind set, that is easily understood in Bedlington and the North.

The other Geordie trait I admire is the ability to give and not expect something, anything in return.

In other places people can be suspicious when you are kind and wonder what your after.

In coal mining you gave freely because if you had spare veg or anything else you enjoyed being kind.

Why let things go to waste. Your life depended on your Marra.

• Like 1

This is the kind of attitude that we need to encourage others to have locally to benefit not only yourself but everyone around you. Give and you shall get in return, and I don't mean possessions, that could be a simple 'good morning' you never know it could just make someone's day.

Too many people wrapped up in looking after number one and forgetting that you can look after number one but still have room for other people.

Like Vic I also miss Joe Rooney's posts and was, quite irrationally, upset at his passing. I didn't know him, hadn't met him 'in the flesh' but was affected when he died.

Nobody is 'safe' or secure when online. I posted recently that if your PC is connected by copper or fibre you can be 'found', You can be 'sniffed out' if connected wirelessly ... beware a nosey neighbour with Wi-Fi finding software 'cos if your router lacks security then they're in. The only 'safe' computer is one that's physically not connected to the outside world.

If you know where to look most things can be found out about most people.

On the previous incarnation of this Forum I posted using my real name with the benefit that a number of old school friends were able get in touch, but, when this new place emerged I'd lost my nerve so settled for Symptoms .... cowardy, cowardy custard!

Edited by Symptoms

I go for walk almost every day, (I'll be off in 5 minutes!) being a small town you get to know must people and most will wave, say hi or toot their horn, but many will not make eye contact! Yes they are usually new in town, I make point to say hi and something about the weather (usually how much snow or how cold it is! not much else to say around here!) and sure enough they will acknowledge you! next day they say hi (and you think who the heck was that!!)

Like Vic I also miss Joe Rooney's posts and was, quite irrationally, upset at his passing. I didn't know him, hadn't met him 'in the flesh' but was affected when he died.

Nobody is 'safe' or secure when online. I posted recently that if your PC is connected by copper or fibre you can be 'found', You can be 'sniffed out' if connected wirelessly ... beware a nosey neighbour with Wi-Fi finding software 'cos if your router lacks security then they're in. The only 'safe' computer is one that's physically not connected to the outside world.

If you know where to look most things can be found out about most people.

On the previous incarnation of this Forum I posted using my real name with the benefit that a number of old school friends were able get in touch, but, when this new place emerged I'd lost my nerve so settled for Symptoms .... cowardy, cowardy custard!

I know what you mean Symptoms, I think my remoteness give me a feeling of safety or false security!

Joe just lived down the road in Calgary but I felt like I new him!

A son wrote a poem when my mother died,in it he said :-

The secret of life lies with each other .

Death makes you assess relationships and what you value in life.

It is not about money and possessions.

However that said I am a hoarder.

Exhibition at the Baltic Art Galleries this year in Newcastle (one is in New Bridge Street) American artist Jim Shaw bought odd cheap paintings in charity shops . His point was you do not own your possessions your possessions own you.

With my old lot you had to be careful you did not say you liked something because it would go home with you.

What an example to live up to.

Maggie,

you are right to be cautious with the internet but you have nothing to fear here. The only thing that is likely to go missing is Keith Lockey as he gets beamed up from the roof of his house chasing lights in the sky.

Forgive the cruel edit, I only used paint.

Beam me up Scotty.

post-2847-0-03914900-1360097875_thumb.jp

It's an interestign subject: my business is entirely internet based and I have seen the power of online communication and marketing increase by astonishing levels in the past few years alone. Hand in hand with this goes an increase in ease of finding out all you want to know about people who are exposed online. The digital age has been blamed, too, for making people far more impersonal, but conversely it also allows us to communicate easily with people in far flung places (in Keith Lockey's case, Venus).

There are, however, parallels in the non-digital world; for many years I worked in the print industry, and one of the most lucrative areas was (and is) Direct Mail (junk mail to you and I). We - legally - purchased lists of names and addresses of specific target audiences, and one of the most morally troubling was the time we ran a promotion for a certain female saintary product. That involved procuring a list of all young girls who had a birthday attaining a certain age that year, and mailing them the promo.

As for internet security, it's to be taken seriously and also with caution; as someone said, 100% safety is never attainable, but the number of people who put personal - and useful to others - information on Social Networking sites and are then amazed when they find they have been 'hacked' is astonishing. Furthermore, the level to which the likes of Google can 'read' your browsing and shopping habits is incredible. A recent job of mine involved writing product descriptions for a range of luxury sex dolls (if you want a look, lads, I'll PM you) and for days afterwards my inbox was inundated with spam advertising similart products.

It's an interestign subject: my business is entirely internet based and I have seen the power of online communication and marketing increase by astonishing levels in the past few years alone. Hand in hand with this goes an increase in ease of finding out all you want to know about people who are exposed online. The digital age has been blamed, too, for making people far more impersonal, but conversely it also allows us to communicate easily with people in far flung places (in Keith Lockey's case, Venus).

There are, however, parallels in the non-digital world; for many years I worked in the print industry, and one of the most lucrative areas was (and is) Direct Mail (junk mail to you and I). We - legally - purchased lists of names and addresses of specific target audiences, and one of the most morally troubling was the time we ran a promotion for a certain female saintary product. That involved procuring a list of all young girls who had a birthday attaining a certain age that year, and mailing them the promo.

As for internet security, it's to be taken seriously and also with caution; as someone said, 100% safety is never attainable, but the number of people who put personal - and useful to others - information on Social Networking sites and are then amazed when they find they have been 'hacked' is astonishing. Furthermore, the level to which the likes of Google can 'read' your browsing and shopping habits is incredible. A recent job of mine involved writing product descriptions for a range of luxury sex dolls (if you want a look, lads, I'll PM you) and for days afterwards my inbox was inundated with spam advertising similart products.

Isn't it funny how a slight spelling error can completely change the meaning of something. ------ "A certain female SAINTary product " could it be that you were promoting pink halo's Merc . What would be the age to be attained for something like that then , 70,? 80? ((((( note to oneself watch your spelling from now on, Merc is watching to get his own back )))))

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now