Hexham Fire

I see the Egger plant at Hexham is in flames again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-tyne-22677719

I used to hate going into that place to load board, especially on a Friday afternoon. Typical for it to go on fire on the busiest day of the year for the A69, County Show day. There was talk that the last time there was a fire there, that it was going to be closed down, thing is, its Hexham's single biggest employer. Also a lot of people employed in the haulage industry rely on work from Egger.

The amount of times it has been on fire might be a good idea to have its own fire brigade stationed there!

Doesn't all the debris always run off into the river too?

I think that they have got their act together as far as pollution is concerned. Didn't they get the blame for Salmon being found dead or dying at Wylam a few years ago ? Fish were fighting to get out of the water that day. I know, driving around the back, you could see big improvements were made to drainage and run off from the yard etc. To be honest, I can't see the place lasting much longer if fire precautions don't improve, lets face it, the place is a tinder box. Thousands of tonnes of timber , boards and sawdust are in that place at any one time.

Didn't that huge timber importers dock at Blyth go up in smoke in the 70s? Hundreds of thousands of pitprops stacked skyhigh just inside the fence along the Blyth to Seaton Sluice road ... I think it was opposite the Approved School (Collingwood might of been the name of the 'naughty boys' jail???)

There was talk that the last time there was a fire there, that it was going to be closed down, thing is, its Hexham's single biggest employer. Also a lot of people employed in the haulage industry rely on work from Egger.

Was that not the same thing with Alcan Keith? Look what happened there.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now