Hs2 - Yes Or No?

threegee

So what does everyone think of the HS2 project? An organ for growth or just a huge waste of money that, even if we have it, could be better spent elsewhere?

logo.png

We'll set up a poll after full discussion; I suspect most people are like me and quite undecided.

Oops... almost forgot to post a link to the counter-case:

http://stophs2.org/

mug.jpg

Waste of money, Why?

It only reduces the trip time from London to Birmingham by 20 minutes.

Only goes to Birmingham not up to the top of the county (north east mainly as you don't know what Scotland wants)

Does not decrease amount of trains on routes like the east coast and west coast mainlines.

Could be better spent on opening older routes I.E Blyth and Tyne to reduce trains on mainlines.

Have other reasons but don't want to bore you all.

Adam raises a few relevant points but there are other reasons why HS2 really is a white elephant, not least the fact that, given the sheer cost of it, it follows that few people will be able to afford to use it. I know of a number of local businessmen who, when they need to get to London at short notice, fly, as it's cheaper. Perhaps the major issue - as far as I'm concerned - is that we simply don't need it; I know I'm trotting out an old cliche but logic dictates that, by the time it is complete, more people than ever before - and vastly more than now - will be telecommuting; the cost savings speak for themselves, and with high-speed broadband pretty much a given these days it also makes for a much more efficient use of time. Comparisons with high-speed rail systems in Germany and France are pointless; we do not have the distance to cover that exists in those countries, after all. Upgrade the existing networks, by all means, but don't waste money on HS2. One other point - who wants to go to Birmingham anyway?

No. Why with today's communication systems does anyone want to go back and forth, on any transport system?

For Against

It will employ a lot of people over a long time. So will upgrading the existing networks rather than allowing the networks to deteriorate.

It will not disrupt the existing networks. No skilled people left to upgrade the existing networks.

It's quicker than flying. Don't fly or commute at all, Skype.

Against

Less washing. When I worked in London I had to stop wearing white socks, within half a day my socks had grimy streaks across them. My shirt collars were filthy after a day, in the office.

Once I stopped working down there I threw out all my black socks and now it's white every day.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now